I was out shooting my EVOL 30 yesterday. Zeroed it at 50 yards and streched it out to 100. Was grouping really good once i figured out my shooting bag. I took it out to 200 and couldn't figure it out. Im a new shooter so i was just wasting ammo. I decided to bring it back to 100 so i can fine tune my shooting technique. Pulled the trigger and noticed the slugs flying high to the left. I wasnt sure what was going on so brought it back to 50 and sure enough high to the left. I did however pick my rifle up by the scope at least once yesterday. Did the rifle lose its level or am i having barrel issues? How can i figure this out?

I was out shooting my EVOL 30 yesterday. Zeroed it at 50 yards and streched it out to 100. Was grouping really good once i figured out my shooting bag. I took it out to 200 and couldn't figure it out. Im a new shooter so i was just wasting ammo. I decided to bring it back to 100 so i can fine tune my shooting technique. Pulled the trigger and noticed the slugs flying high to the left. I wasnt sure what was going on so brought it back to 50 and sure enough high to the left. I did however pick my rifle up by the scope at least once yesterday. Did the rifle lose its level or am i having barrel issues? How can i figure this out?

@Castin’Catchin’ 26 Since you started having this issue, have you tried shooting your Evol from a secured rest/vise placed upon a solid table? Was there any wind blowing when you were shooting this time or the last? Is the temperature noticeably different from the last time you shot the gun? Are you shooting the exact same ammo?

@Castin’Catchin’ 26 Since you started having this issue, have you tried shooting your Evol from a secured rest/vise placed upon a solid table? Was there any wind blowing when you were shooting this time or the last? Is the temperature noticeably different from the last time you shot the gun? Are you shooting the exact same ammo?
Yes it happened within an hour using an Atlas bipod resting on a rear bag. The wind was the same within the hour shooting NSA 54.4s

I use to pickup my lightweight Atomic via the scope. Had strange POI issues, checked the screws on the rings? I couldn’t believe how loose they had become. I don’t grab it by the scope anymore.
Has to be it. I know Tom designed the Evol with a tensioned barrel system to remedy POI shifting. If the scope mounts are loose will i have to level the scope again?

Sometimes weird leading of the barrel with airguns shooting slugs can cause a POI shift. I have no use for an airgun/scope setup that I can’t pick up by the scope. If something is loose, that’s understandable. If you can’t pick up your gun by the scope, that means your scope can’t touch anything the whole time you own the gun. Unacceptable. When I get a weird POI shift outside of a guns normal few clicks here or there over time, I clean the barrel. I forgot to mention if you change your shooting technique or how you are supporting the gun during a shooting session, that could contribute to a POI shift. Remember, it takes a long time for the projectile to leave the barrel with an airgun after you squeeze the trigger.

As I've said for MANY years ... it you can not pick up your rifle via Optics, You got bigger problems !!!
Ones optics, mounts, rails etc need to be SOOOO secure that a hard bump, or MINOR handling via the scope does squat !!!
I nearly always lift my guns out of cases, bags, carry catty etc via the scope tube & never give it a second thought, or found issue with doing so.

Last edited:
Sometimes weird leading of the barrel with airguns shooting slugs can cause a POI shift. I have no use for an airgun/scope setup that I can’t pick up by the scope. If something is loose, that’s understandable. If you can’t pick up your gun by the scope, that means your scope can’t touch anything the whole time you own the gun. Unacceptable. When I get a weird POI shift outside of a guns normal few clicks here or there over time, I clean the barrel. I forgot to mention if you change your shooting technique or how you are supporting the gun during a shooting session, that could contribute to a POI shift. Remember, it takes a long time for the projectile to leave the barrel with an airgun after you squeeze the trigger.
Yeah, my thought, we spend serious coin on scopes and good rings and the thing can move? Or the mounting rails are loose, pays to check everything....twice. Best investment I made was an inch # torque wrench.

I didn't think about that. Im going to clean the barrel and check the scope mounts. I'm going back out next weekend lets see what i can figure out.

If I'm shooting groups and get a sudden poi shift that usually tells me it's time to clean the barrel. That's with a properly mounted scope. And I lift mine from the scope all the time without any issues.

As I've said for MANY years ... it you can not pick up your rifle via Optics, You got bigger problems !!!
Ones optics, mounts, rails etc need to be SOOOO secure that a hard bump, or MINOR handling via the scope does squat !!!
I nearly always lift my guns out of cases, bags, carry catty etc via the scope tube & never give it a second thought, or found issue with doing so.
Now that alot of people are saying the same as you. Im thinking its a dirty barrel. If not hopefully scope mounts are just loose.

This is most likely. Shooting lots of slugs will require more maintenance than pellets. So much more surface area in contact with the barrel bore and lands.

When you see your slug accuracy start to drop it is best to stop and clean. Lead loves lead and leading will get exponentially bad very quickly and a lot more time and care will be required to clean thoroughly.

I suggest all serious shooters invest in a borescope whether it be an inexpensive Lyman or Teslong, or the more expensive Hawkeye which is the Pro standard. The goal is to identify the leading, a video unit will do this but don't expect a realistic representation.

These instructions were meant for the Slayer but are applicable to all EVOLS except early Minis with 12 groove LW barrels. If you have a LW barreled Mini clean with a nylon brush not brass and take super care not to damage the crown; these barrels are soft.

There's so many variables to consider. Wind, temperature, ammo/dirty barrel, consistent hold/cheek weld, shooting off a front bag/rest or bipod, loose moderator, single loading vs magazine, scope/rifle cant, loose scope rings/proper torque, quality of scope, and maybe even using your scope as a carrying handle. Did you grab the scope in the middle or on one end (objective or eye piece)? Me personally, I try not to use the scope as a carrying handle whether it's a $100 or $4000 scope. If you could eliminate one or more of the variables, why not?