• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

POI difference @ 80 yards Vs 20= a couple inches laterally. Seeking advice.

The rifle in question is an Origin. The scope rail is not true to the barrel and or trajectory, I'm guessing. Is a fully adjustable scope mount the answer? Are there other options to correct this? I'd like to only have to use vertical holdover at longer distance if possible. Any and all input will be appreciated. Thank you. 

Ps: one person I spoke with suggested this could just be spin drift as it impacts further to the right @ 80 yards Vs 20yards. Thoughts on that as well please. 

First thought is are you certain it isn't wind? If you are sure it isn't, then it could be that the rail is misaligned and adjustable mounts should correct that. It could also be that you have the scope mounted in a canted position OR you are canting the gun while shooting. Correction of that would not require adjustable mounts so I would fully verify those factors first.

I agree with bandg about first making sure it isn't just the wind. It takes only a 3mph wind to push a pellet over 2 inches at 80 yards, and that's a breeze that is nearly imperceptible without the benefit of an instrument.

Otherwise the most common cause is cant error, be it scope cant or gun cant. Spin drift would not have nearly such a dramatic effect at 80 yards.

First, regarding scope cant...

Set your scope to its maximum magnification and its parallax to 10 yards. Step back half that distance, 5 yards, from a mirror and look through the scope to view your reflection in the mirror. Confirm that the vertical bar of the reticle perfectly bisects both the objective bell and the muzzle simultaneously. If it doesn't, you need to loosen the rings and rotate the scope until it does (note: center the windage turret before you do). Use a rest so your reflection is nice and stable.

Then for gun cant...

Install and use a level. View a known good plumb line (e.g. hanging string) through the scope and orient the rifle so the reticle precisely aligns to it. Now secure your level so it shows level. From now on when you're shooting, hold the rifle so it shows level and you can be sure you've eliminated both potential sources of cant error.

By the way, don't buy a level that attaches to the scope rail. There is no guarantee it will show level. Instead, get one that attaches to the scope tube so you can rotate it and lock it down where it shows the proper level.

First thought is are you certain it isn't wind? If you are sure it isn't, then it could be that the rail is misaligned and adjustable mounts should correct that. It could also be that you have the scope mounted in a canted position OR you are canting the gun while shooting. Correction of that would not require adjustable mounts so I would fully verify those factors first.

+1

Even if the rail was not aligned to barrel, once scope is adjusted to meet the mis alignment the rail would no longer be a factor. A couple inches at 80 yds outdoors is more than likely wind drift. I shoot at distances out to 100 yds with my TX200 frequently and I can say for a fact the a slight beeeze that you cant even detect will easily push you off a couple inches. Be sure to center your reticule before mounting your scope, if you need more than one full turn to align your shot then make adjustments to your mount. Most all scope mfgrs recomend not more than 1 full turn of a turret to align impact point or scope could give alignment problems at longer ranges.

Reactions: B
☝ This isn't ME. Something's DEFINITELY WRONG with HIS OR HER PROFILE.

Don't tighten the scope rings too tight. The scope rail is fragile and will negatively affect allignment for proper scope function.

Weird. Just figured out that The x.com/members/me/ url will redirect to x.com/members/{LOGGED_IN_USER_SLUG}/ I will ask that user to change his name. Thanks

-Michael

Sorry I didn't get back to this until today. I did a lot of shooting with all my guns yesterday. I appreciate all the feedback. There was a definite wind that was extremely variable at times also. Probably ranging from 5 to sometimes 20mph. Everything y'all have said has given me a good checklist of things to start with before I worry about adjustable mounts. Thanks again everyone. I love this community. 

Duly noted on not enough data. I will try and include more relevant info in the future. Pretty nice here today in Tn. Looks like another half - full tin kinda day if you know what I mean!