• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

POI depending on the position

great question,for me it seems to change,it must be head,eye position ,like where the eye is positioned to the scope,....it would seem if the head eye position remained constant so should the POI.....but at times the the angle of my head is a little different...,shots are always close to original point of aim,but there does seems to a slightly different POI.

Truthfully I do not know for sure,I do hopes others will chime in on this subject.

My range is the back yard, I have 50-125yrds the only thing is that I am shooting down hill between 9&13 degrees angles. The hold is very sensitive because I’m off a very stable patio table the more down wards the higher the but of the gun is. Being consistent with my hold is critical and I have to pay more attention when shooting 50yrds and going to 125yrds. But that’s good to know for hunting situations birds generally are more times than not, but I have a better idea of what I need to do. Hope that is helpful.

Hi,

Assuming that you zeroed your gun at 50y in a prone position with a bipod and a rear bag, can you expect that POI will remain the same at 50y shooting standing with a shooting stick?

It really depends upon your working definition of changing the POI. It will change some because the harmonics of the gun are affected by the things it is touching. Rested on a fence post isn't exactly the same as rested on a bipod. Rested on a bipod isn't the same as rested on a bag. It is unlikely that the change you asked about will be as much due to the stick and the bipod as it will be due to the difference between standing and prone.

I notice sometimes, when I’m shooting at targets set up on my pellet trap, the top to mid section(I use the splatterburst targets with a whole sheet full of 2” diameter bullseyes) if I’m zero’d in I’ll pop all those in the bulls, then when I start aiming at the lower ones on the bottom of the page, I actually have to adjust and aim at the bottom of the bulls if I want to hit dead center. If I don’t my point of impact will be above the bulls. But like I said from the upper row to middle of the page, it hits where I aim at.

You didn't specify if you're shooting a springer or a PCP.....

A springer will change POI, because of its often extreme hold sensitivity.

A PCP not so much, however, small changes are likely.

About eye placement: The changes of POI should not have to do with the eye placement, because when the scope is adjusted for parallax, it does not matter where the eye is, the POA should not change and so the POI. However, if you are shooting a SPRINGER, it probably will matter how your cheek touches the comb -- if it's different in different positions -- well, then you can expect a change in POI. Thanks to hold sensitivity.

Very interesting thread. I subscribed. Thanks!

And I will make some testing to see if the POI changed between my typical shooting positions. Great idea, Mr. Why! :)

Matthias

One of my PCPs is extremely hold sensitive. It might have something to do with the bipod being mounted on the air tube but I remember having the same problem when it was mounted on the stock. It had me confounded at first. Some times it would put every shot in the same hole at 30 yards and sometimes spray them over 3/4-1 inch. I worked out that if I held it not to firmly and just let it sit on the bipod with no forward or back tension, it would print one hole groups with only rare flyers. If I shoot it off a bag using the same method, it will shoot just as well but the POI will move from where it was on the bipod. This behaviour sounds very similar to that of a springer. This is not ideal for field shooting but neither is the gun at nearly 13 pounds, fully dressed.

I zero my PCP’s on the bipod with a rear bag rest. I hunt off shooting sticks, a bipod, leaning off trees etc., and free-hand. Can’t speak for other’s but POI and zero doesn’t change. When my guns are zero’d they’re zero’d no matter my position or shooting situation. Applies to powder burners, springers, and PCP’s. Only difference for me is I am more stable from a bipod then sticks or free-hand. I am more likely to get the shots all in one jagged hole off a bipod than free-hand.

$0.02

Some guns have some flex in the frame or stock. For example, my Condor has a large poi shift between a bipod and a bag under the front grip. It’s also possible that there is some parallax error in the scope. Just because the scope has a sharp focus doesn’t insure that there is no parallax error. Sometimes to eliminate parallax the scope may need to be slightly out of focus. This can change with changes in distance and magnification. This is something I fight with all the time.

To evaluate a pcp or powder burners potential I shoot it off a caldwell from the bench free recoil. However 60 years of hunting has taught me when checking zero for hunting I always lay the rifle stock in my hand on the rest. I have found that most of my rifles will have a lower poi if I zero off a hard surface and then shoot with the rifle on a soft surface. Just my experience.