POI change on a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO Scope

Hy Guys,

I have a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO Scope mounted on a Air Venture avenger. I zero scope at 35yrs.

problem is it will randomly change the poi . from 35yrs to 50yrs to 75yrs when I go back to 35yrs the POi has changed so I rezero it again.

Is this normal for PCP Airguns?

Is there something wrong with my scope?

Could it be the magazines?

Should I try a different scope?

Any ideals would help

Thanks

1. Remove scope and tighten plastic picatinny rails on receiver.

2. Tighten (if needed) all screws on your scope mounts.

3. Try a tracking a tracking test. Best way is to mount a pic tail to a solid table, then connect your scope, then perform the test.

4. Contact Hawke for warranty replacement if tracking test fails.

-Michael

+1 for Michael for sure, he's exactly right. The only thing I would add is to make sure you push your rings all the way forward on the rail and tighten the rings to the rail equally. Don't tighten one at a time. This could cause some torque issues that could interfere with the tracking. Also as Michael said, some rilles have a loose rail. I have a buddy that had the LCS rail fall off even with the screws at spec tightness. It does happen. 

Hawke makes scopes (all level of brand quality) that should track well even with the mushy turrets. With your explanation is seem almost likely a tracking issue. How far off is it? With the mushy turrets you could be off one or two clicks and not know it, but that would only change your POI 1/2 an inch at most at 35, not something extreme. 

What's cool about Hawke is an actually person will call you back and work with you on the warranty, that's always nice. 

It it’s off that much I’d suspect the reticle is loose. Shoot the gun at 35 take the gun and tap the recoil pad on a hard surface a couple times giving the rifle and scope a jarring impact ( don’t go nuts on this) but enough to move the reticle if it is loose. If this changes the POI it will save you the time to test the scope further . Not an uncommon problem. Check for other loose parts first.

imo theres several things it could be, as said the scope may just be faulty, id do that test they were talking about ... also theres just operator fatigue, that can play a huge role in many things ive found, walk away go chill and eat a sandwich without touching the gun and see if the POI changes lol .... but no PCPs arnt hard on scopes, 'cheap' scopes tend to not hold zero well if the turrets are jerked off all the time, best to leave them alone (and not use a cheap scope for a target gun) so the scope can 'take a set' and eventually it will hold a good zero .. the other thing that ive found thats a very big item to be awarte of is most mounts these days are cheap pot metal aluminum and if theyre over-tightened the metal is to the point it will stress crack, which you may or may not be able to see .. the point is the ring will be moving around as it 'adjusts' to being way over-tightened and warps ..