• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Plinking targets that don't brake?

Wondering if any airgunners know of a plinking target that will hold up. Bought these Remington crow and rabbit from pa took out both destroyed in hour won't reset the rabbit reset handle all twisted I'm a welder so gona try to take apart pound flat and reinforce but added weight don't know if it's gona work might take a 45 to reset it after I reinforce it I know it was disappointing 20 bucks each could bought a lot of c n c target for that waste any better made ones?  

Sent from my iPhone

Haha yes airgun did that damage a airforce. .25 escape using h&n 31 grain @ 100 yards for rabbit and 80 on the crow cause string wasn't long enough I think they are 3/16 thought that would hold up my 22 would not reset them or took two shots too knock down that's the only reason I busted out the escape .25 so I could not win the .22 edgun would not knock down and .25 devastated them! I try steelplinkers.com thanks!

That target seems to have some curious hits and bends.

Personally, for a number of reasons I am not a fan of the so called “Knockdown” resettable targets. For one thing, the kill zones I’ve seen are in the wrong place. For metal targets, I will refer you to the likes of Hickok45 videos and his knockover chickens, turkeys, boars. 

Make templates of whatever size, whether it be chickens, turkeys or dinosaurs, but make sure the edges are not overly complicated. Ensure the bottom of the sheet can be fixed into a block of wood, either by inserting into a drilled out hole or saw cut. Take the templates to a SMALL local metal work shop, tell them what thickness of steel you want. When you ask whether they’ll do it, and ask a price, to get a person to do the job for a cheap price the KEY things to say are… THAT FOR SUCH A SMALL CASH JOB YOU ARE PREPARED TO WAIT A FEW WEEKS UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THEY HAVE A FEW SPARE MINUTES AND HAVE SUCH SCRAP METAL. Such a comment will likely be met with interest, especially by anyone who would like a little pocket/beer money. Don’t ask for a receipt. 

Once you get them, make whatever size wooden bases (and increase in size as necessary for power levels) and them paint as necessary. 

I once had lots of them, and they were such good targets they even walked off one night.

I wonder if some reactive .22 rimfire steel targets would work? A 40 grain .22lr cartridge with a velocity of 1082 generates 104 fpe. If you shoot a resettable target designed for .22lr with a 47 fpe .25 air rifle, is it going to perform as designed? Here's an example auto reset .22lr target:

link: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/TARGET-481

This example auto reset target has the necessary thickness as described in posts in this thread, 1/4" 400 brinell steel. The only concern I would have is whether 47 fpe would be enough energy to overcome the target's spring at 25 yards or longer shooting distances.

What are your thoughts and experiences using .22lr reactive targets with 47+ fpe air rifles?