Please share your Taipan Vet Std .22 tunes

Just picked up a new .22 Std Vet. As best I can tell my reg is set at 100 -110 bar as received. It was pretty windy today (14 with gusts to 20) and CPHP and 16s were getting moved around quite a bit at 880 and 18s faired the best in the wind at 820. So my tuning focus shifted to 18s so I started bumping them up gradually and stopped at 900. It will take more testing on a calmer and warmer day to settle on a final tune.

Please share what your tune is, providing the best compromise of accuracy and shot count.

There are really no “tunes” for this gun. If you want to focus on the 18’s and you should because you can always dial the gun back for the lighter less effective stuff, you tune the gun as one should. Keep shooting the 18’s over the chronograph and turning the hammer spring until the gun plateaus. If you’re in the 930’s when it peaks,you’re in business. Dial it back and test from 880-910fps for your best accuracy at 50+ yards. If your gun peaks with the 18’s over 940fps, get out your tools and turn the reg down a smidge. Your reg should be set from the factory in the 120’s.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 5.08.57 PM.jpg

I used some vinyl paper from the wifes criket printer to make a label for my DonnyFL hammer spring adjuster. Marked locations for all my pellets I use in my vet at 880 fps. 14, 16, 18 and slug tune. Slug setting was 1 complete turn up from my 18 setting and sending 17 gr .216 NSA slugs at 920 fps. They were shooting pretty good and the settings were very repeatable. Loving my standard in .22.

I don’t have the standard but I have a long and with my reg set at 85 bar or so it still plateaus with the 16 grain Hades around 950 fps. I’m guessing I’ll need to turn the reg down to 80ish bar to get the plateau around 925. I’m guessing with the shorter barrel of the standard you would want the reg set around 90-100 bar for the 16’s and a bit higher for the 18’s for a tuned velocity of 880-900 fps. There’s only one way for you to find out.

Reactions: Unsocial
Just some food for thought if you really want the most out of the gun or like in my case needed the most out of the gun at that time. I bought my Standard .22 back in 2017-2018 timeframe. Needed a gun to reach this tree in the corner of my yard 94 yards away reliably. Key word reliably. At that distance the gun had to shoot a flat string from fill to refill. I didn’t want to worry about where my tank was and if it was messing with my velocities. Hence getting the reg setting right. I put a target at the base of that tree and did all my testing. Yes there was a difference in group sizes at 880, 890, 900 and so on. I settled on 905fps with my gun. When you find the best most consistent size groups at that distance it definitely shows up close in the 30-50 yard range. One pellet hole groups at 50 didn’t even cause me to raise an eyebrow, it was normal. My gun was sighted in at 94 yards for 3 years straight. It was a gun I knew I could grab if it sat for a month and pick something off that tree. I finally went off my nut and put the gun on slugs for a year with different settings to get the most out of them. It’s finally back on pellets right now because a bunch of other guns made me appreciate what that taipan is. If you don’t ever shoot far you can get away with using your hammer spring like a gas pedal but you’re not getting the most out of the gun. But unlike a lot of other guns the taipan can shoot on the downslope and still do quite well. My 94 yard no wind groups with 18’s were quite shocking. Just had to have the guns tune spot on and the Taipan held that tune for years.

Reactions: Unsocial
While I was waiting for the weather to warm up I ran some JSB 18‘s over my Chrono inside my (warm 72*F) shop. I turned the HS in gradually and it peaked at 963 so I backed it out 5% to 915 and locked it down. Shot a complete shot string and got 60 good shots before it fell off the reg around 120-125 bar.

Aired up and took it outside and shot 5 shot groups at 35Y with every pellet and slug I had. Didn’t use the Chrono any more until I got to the last two rows because I wanted to see how hot the 14-16’s were running. 14 CPHPs were 979, 16’s were 945-960. Lastly I ran a few more 18’s and they were clocking 879-887 which made me scratch my head. Tank was still at 200 bar. Outdoor temp was 58*F. Ran out of time but tomorrow I need to Chrono inside and outside to see if the drop in speed was temperature or if the HS just settled in?

062ABB14-C314-49D5-9CC4-3CDEA8A609E4.jpeg

While I was waiting for the weather to warm up I ran some JSB 18‘s over my Chrono inside my (warm 72*F) shop. I turned the HS in gradually and it peaked at 963 so I backed it out 5% to 915 and locked it down. Shot a complete shot string and got 60 good shots before it fell off the reg around 120-125 bar.

Aired up and took it outside and shot 5 shot groups at 35Y with every pellet and slug I had. Didn’t use the Chrono any more until I got to the last two rows because I wanted to see how hot the 14-16’s were running. 14 CPHPs were 979, 16’s were 945-960. Lastly I ran a few more 18’s and they were clocking 879-887 which made me scratch my head. Tank was still at 200 bar. Outdoor temp was 58*F. Ran out of time but tomorrow I need to Chrono inside and outside to see if the drop in speed was temperature or if the HS just settled in?

View attachment 308104
Temp will definitely have an effect, but I would have expected a bit less for that temp change. When I move a hammer spring adjuster, I usually move it back and forth a little on either side of where I set it. Probably unnecessary and, in most cases not effective. I think it sometimes depends on how the spring end us finished, and how it seats. Please post your results. I'm curious if the velocities remains about the same.

Started out this morning shooting 18s indoors at 72*F.
Shot count: 20
Low: 905
Hi: 916
Avg: 912
Spread: 11
STD Dev: 3.5

Went outside and shot 18s at 57*F and dropped 10 FPS But gun was still warm.
Shot count: 20
Low: 895
Hi: 909
Avg: 905
Spread: 14
STD Dev: 4.2

Shot JSB 15’s at 57*F.
Shot count: 10
Low: 956
Hi: 967
Avg: 962
Spread: 11
STD Dev: 3.1

Then CPHPs at 57*F.
Low: 981
Hi: 993
Avg: 987
Spread: 12
STD Dev: 3.3

Back to 18s at 56*F and lost another 8 FPS,
Low: 884
Hi: 907
Avg: 897
Spread: 23
STD Dev: 8.4

Aired up and shot 15s at 55*F, lost 7 FPS.
Low: 949
Hi: 958
Avg: 955
Spread: 9
STD Dev: 3.1

Then CPHP at 55*F, lost 6 FPS.
Low: 977
Hi: 986
Avg: 981
Spread: 9
STD Dev: 3.4

Went back inside and allow rifle to acclimate to 74*F. It was down 7 from the first indoor string but probably didn’t allow it to acclimate long enough.
Shot count: 33
Low: 886
Hi: 912
Avg: 905
Spread: 26
STD Dev: 5.1

So today was a learning experience and showed me that as temp drops so does velocity. I sure didn’t expect this much of a drop but it is what it is.

I was shooting outdoors at 35 yards and didn’t see that much of an effect of slower velocities on accuracy but perhaps I would have seen more change at longer distances?

You can really see the random fliers with CPHP’s. I would be drilling a group then whamo one flies out there with a mind of its own.
D4692215-8CBE-466C-AFB0-2071FD0CE707.jpeg

My DreamTac is my 14.3 gun now. Fliers come at the expense of cheap pellets. It doesn’t bother me seeing as how I’m not shooting charging lions with the gun. Going to Walmart to buy pellets for a $1,200 gun feels as good or better than buying them for one of the guns they sell that should have “shotgun” written on the box.

Reactions: igolfat8