• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Please recommend me a Chronograph

I have a 20 year old Shooting Chrony, I think it’s the alpha model. Currently I get an ERROR about 1 of every 4 shots Also the last 2 digits are almost illegible.

Could you please recommend me something to replace it?

My first priority would be that it is SMALL, easy to store. Then, if possible, that it is cheap & easy to get. I’m an old guy so for me simple is better... no fancy functions or phone app needed...

Thanks!!

Sounds like one of them $30+/- amazon china cronies.. i been using the bolt on type ( but i rarely bolt it on ). Nothing gancy but does what i need.
minicrony.jpg

Had it for a couple of years now not bad at all battery life been excellent

I also have an old Chrony - It works ok outside with 22 cal and larger, not as well as yours inside with LED lighting over the top. I gave it to my son as he doesn't chronograph airguns. I bought this one from Aliexpress for $22 and change - shipped, and it rarely gives any errors. Less than 1 error in 100 shots so far. Very rudimentary and it forgets every setting and shot string when you turn it off, but it is all I need. Programming it is cumbersome so I rarely do that. I just write down the shots as I go then put them in a spreadsheet if I feel like it to calculate fpe, es, etc., but usually just keep them in a small notebook. It fits every gun and moderator I own except a really fat Buck Rail moderator.

I only use it attached to the gun as I always shoot groups when testing velocity. Very fast to install and remove, just a few seconds and no worries about it being out of alignment. I bought a cheap scissor jack to use with the fat moderator, but I usually just remove the moderator as it is easier than aligning it with the scissor jack. I have never used the black plate and screws since all my guns have fat shrouds on them or moderators. The metal loop attachment with the small wingnuts goes on the gun easily and I leave it on the chrony all the time. You can put tape over the metal contact points to prevent scratching. I have not done that yet but plan to. No scratches so far without the tape, but with the tape It would be even faster to remove / install since you wouldn't have to loosen the wingnuts as much, just enough to slide it on or off. Don't over tighten the wingnuts on the loop fastener or you might crack the bottom circuit board.

I was going to buy the FX until I saw how many errors they have from watching youtube videos. For the $200+ price of the FX you would think it would be at least as error free as the nearly 90% less expensive $22 unit. I also have the base model Magnetospeed that I use with firearms, which does work with 22 cal and larger airguns if you put some magnets over the sensors, but alignment is critical. I can have my testing done using the Aliexpress model by the time I get the Magnetospeed working reliably.

1685711133173.png

Last edited:
I have a 20 year old Shooting Chrony, I think it’s the alpha model. Currently I get an ERROR about 1 of every 4 shots Also the last 2 digits are almost illegible.

Could you please recommend me something to replace it?

My first priority would be that it is SMALL, easy to store. Then, if possible, that it is cheap & easy to get. I’m an old guy so for me simple is better... no fancy functions or phone app needed...

Thanks!!
I use the Fx, which is a radar type.
It anounces the shots over my phone speaker, and all the info is stored in my phone. You can view the shot strings in list, or graph form.
It will hang on your muzzle, but I like it better hanging on the bottle,. In the pic, I hang it on a small clamp type mic stand. Its small enough to put in a jacket pocket.

20230529_164757.jpg

That sounds great.
Radar? Is that a different technology as the traditional 2 points/detectors? No illumination needed?
How much is this Fx chrony?
Thank You!!

nope,no illumination needed.
yes different from the 2 point type,
and alot smaller,
not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes .

weather and light conditions dont matter either,
you can chrony in the dark if you wish.

and with it hooked on a side rail,
i can shoot in any direction on the fly,
nice for actually being able to shoot groups while running shot strings,
without having to move the chrony to engage a different target.

i have a picatinny mount for mine,
takes all of maybe 10 seconds to pull it out of the case turn it on and slide it on a side rail.

i have had only 1 failure to read in the year+ that ive had it,
and that was my fault due to incorrect placement.

and as was said,
the female alexa/siri sounding voice telling me each shots speed is a nice convenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
nope,no illumination needed.
yes different from the 2 pount type,
and alot smaller,
not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes .

weather and light conditions dont matter either,
you can chrony in the dark if you wish.

and with it hooked on a side rail,
i can shoot in any direction on the fly,
nice for actually being able to shoot groups while running shot strings,
without having to move the chrony to engage a different target.

i have a picatinny mount for mine,
takes all of maybe 10 seconds to pull it out of the case turn it on and slide it on a side rail.

i have had only 1 failure to read in the year+ that ive had it,
and that was my fault due to incorrect placement.

and as was said,
the female alexa/siri sounding voice telling me each shots speed is a nice convenience.

Clearly this is a superior technology.
Thanks starlingassn!!

Reactions: .20calguy
For a conventional chrono, I think the ProChrono by Competition Electronics is hard to beat for the price. I like to do my air rifle tuning indoors, so I use the Magnetospeed most of the time. It is neither a light sensing traditional chrono graph nor a a radar unit. It uses a muzzle attachment that has two magnetic sensors imbedded, and it simply measures the flight time between the two. No light it needed, and since it attaches the muzzle, it's convenient when shooting down at an angle, as I do into my indoor pellet trap. It is unaffected by any variable, and is the most versatile chrono I've ever owned. Its only drawback is when working with several different rifles, since it takes a minute or two to fit the muzzle attachment to another rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: jarmstrong
Honestly thinking on it.. youll need the more traditional one if you want ranged results.. say you need to know what your pellet is at 50y you set it up at 50 and got that bigger space to shoot through.. these small are mostly at the muzzle. Ya you could do math but having a crony set up at range maybe more to actual..

Me just at the muzzle for tuning is all i need testing pellets down range or somthing id go with one i can just set up at that yardage.. (???)

I also think id prefer the comp, electric pro crono over cadwell. Seems guys post cadwells can be flaky . idk.

https://competitionelectronics.com/pages/chrono-compare

Catch a sale on that dlx if Bluetooth is somthing needed

Reactions: jarmstrong