Please lock this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some months back an FX customer service representative told me via e-mail that FX never anticipated the kind of demand and growth they are experiencing and they were concerned that with the rapid growth of the company (scaling up of production and bringing in new employees that did not necessarily share the FX "Quality Culture") would cause just these types of issues.

It is still a sellers market on this product due to it's wildly successful ad campaign (youtube videos / EBR) and high demand for the product.

Thurmond

Well, some of it looks very like dust, Erik (not your dust I'm sure, but dust from shipment / storage whatever).

Why don't you take us thro' the various problems you perceive on a picture by picture basis ?

Have to take the dog out for his walk now, if you haven't responded 'later' then I will go thro' each pic saying what I'm seeing - :)

My FX is silver and has craze lines all along the silver which can be seen in bright light. As the black is a finish I expect imperfect cuts to definitely show but as far as the barrel bronze, mine looks the same. I attribute it to the barrel sliding in and out to make sure it fits secure in rifle before shipment of the airgun. The one thing I see is it looks like a crack in upper part of power lever slide, at the top of the cut circle in your third picture. I checked mine and the aluminum is completely enclosing the screw adjacent the power wheel. 

The scope rail looks like someone put on mounts with pins down? I don't have a impact and I've had rough crowns on barrels over the years and I don't expect perfection, but the fit between parts seems to be a little rough? And not something that would make me happy. And if it was used that part of the rifle shouldn't get any wear?

Edit: anyone ever see this level of machining on a wildcat?

It seems like a lifetime ago I worked for a manufacturer making anodized aluminum blocks with porcelain guides to re-shap femurs to receive artificial knee joints. I suspect the tolerances and quality are similar. Those rough edges would have been rejected before assembly. Arguably part of the aesthetic of the gun is an industrial artwork. In its own way it is pleasing to the eye, but someone that does not care corrupted the nice lines of the gun. That is disappointing. Dropping $1900 and getting this quality is a disappointment, FX's response is almost offensive. You bought a gun for its function as well as its appearance. It's nice that the seller at least respects that. 

I understand as I get upset by cosmetic damage on new and expensive air guns but they are all like that. It's an industry with generally poor quality standards compared to other products we are used to buying. It definitely is not just FX. I have seen a lot of pcp rifles but I have yet to see one without some kind of cosmetic issue at any price range. 

Where there are some differences is in how the manufacturers feel about it. Taipan, for example, just said the issues with my Mutant stock were "within tolerance" while Kalibrgun immediately shipped replacement parts to me when my Cricket arrived with some nasty scratches. 

If you need cosmetic perfection, I would say that air guns might not be for you. 

As for it not being comfortable to hold the bottle on the Impact, you must have known that was how the Impact is held before you bought it so you can't blame FX for that. That's on you.

Maybe you should have tested it's accuracy and given yourself time to get used to it before giving up. I am loving my Mutant and there was no way I was sending it back while it shoots so well. 

I don't know about the rest of you but if I'm paying full retail for a new airgun, I expect new without poor machined parts without cosmetic flaws. It doesn't matter if it's a $500 Marauder or $3,500+ Thomas rifle. Sure if you get a "deal" on something that has to be weighed in but any rifle over $1,500 in this hobby is considered a premium product. Those paying premium prices on blemished products and eats it just lowers the expectations for the manufacturers to deliver a premium product to the rest of us.

The designers in FX are probably a bit fresh regarding general design. At least when it comes to cosmetic appearance
It is a big no no to do joint transitions like many of the FX guns have. Like going to flat surface to flat. And many of the solutions it just not how to do it. And it is not how it is don in other field och mechanics. I suspect most of the people there has never been elsewhere but FX. But there are advantages with that to.
Like thinking outside the box soutions like they have proven.

To design like they have done makes even the slightest tolerance error visable. Even if it does notning for the function
It looks bad. Like in the 5th pic showing the picatinny transition to plastic bar. Even if this is withing 0000,1mm in tolerance there is a risk it will look like poop, ending the picatinny base with a sharp angle.
Guaranteed to get marks before assembly even if they would use cotton gloves, And all surface finish methods like anodizing and nitrocarburazatiopn , electro plated and similar does not work very well on sharp edges. There will be current concentration or no surface finish at all on sharp edges.
so much safer to break theese types of edges. And to hide joints if necessary

Also their love for using insex countersink screws like they do on many guns.
Even with super tight tolerances, a small mistake in machining and it will look bad.
I have 3 FX guns. All of them has offcenter screws somwhere, so it looks like they drilled the hole in wrong place

Then some obvious mistakes, like covering part of screw heads with the picatinny base. 
Cover it all, or fully visable. Showing 30% of the head looking up beneth the rail is not beautiful. 

But Im happy with my gun. The option to dial down speed is priceless, And the accuracy is spot on.
But this is what happend when a small company develops new products fast.
Compare to Weihrauch or Daystate. 1 new gun in 10 years
FX has one new model every week :) 
FX has approx 25 employes. Daystate probably has more than 25 employes cleaning the office :)

"zebra"I understand as I get upset by cosmetic damage on new and expensive air guns but they are all like that. It's an industry with generally poor quality standards compared to other products we are used to buying. It definitely is not just FX. I have seen a lot of pcp rifles but I have yet to see one without some kind of cosmetic issue at any price range. 

I don't see the "they are all like that". My Air Arms doesn't look like that. And even my old FWB 300s rifles are not as rough as those joints. Unless I'm slamming them around taking them apart. I wonder if the RAW rifles are all like that?

Reactions: Erik
Status
Not open for further replies.