please help me choose a first pcp airgun

For the money, I think you’re better off buying a used, high end rifle than a new mid range rig. Just saw an Edgun on the classifieds for $900 that would probably do everything better than any new rifle you can buy for that amount. One example of many I’ve seen lately. Plus, you won’t take a beating on resale if you / when you sell. Welcome to the addiction!!

Brian

Reactions: earthsculptor
My suggestion follows this first paragraph. Although I've owned lots of airguns, I bought my first PCP a month ago. It shoots one hole, often pellet-sized, groups consistently at 25 yards from the bench. However, buying that Seneca Aspen was a mistake because the built-in pump failed early. With help from readers here, I repaired it myself rather than paying to ship the gun for warranty work. $5 bought enough o-rings to repair the pump 50 times. Still, the repair WILL frustrate most users, and the failure might be repeated. I've now purchased a Hill MK4 pump for use at the range, and I'll use the built-in when necessary while in the field.

The Nova Liberty (not the Nova Freedom which is a twin to my Aspen) embodies the best of the Aspen, but deletes the pump in favor of a larger reservoir. It's lighter and more trim, too. The action, and likely all the important bits, are shared with my Aspen. The synthetic stock version of the Liberty was on sale this past week (coupon code given in these forums) for about $270 shipped, regular $299. Buying the Hill pump still puts you on the right side of $500. The included front and rear "iron" sights are wasted on a rifle that wants a scope, but the sights are easily removed.

Don't spend money on bling. Those $1000 (plus) guns buy bragging rights, but most shooters won't realize any performance improvement for their money. Unless you need extreme power for bigger game hunting, buy a less expensive PCP this time. When you buy the perfect gun next time, you'll be glad you didn't spend all your cash this time. Lastly, I prefer synthetic stocks because I never need worry about damaging nice wood. Guns are for shooting!

My suggestion follows this first paragraph. Although I've owned lots of airguns, I bought my first PCP a month ago. It shoots one hole, often pellet-sized, groups consistently at 25 yards from the bench. However, buying that Seneca Aspen was a mistake because the built-in pump failed early. With help from readers here, I repaired it myself rather than paying to ship the gun for warranty work. $5 bought enough o-rings to repair the pump 50 times. Still, the repair WILL frustrate most users, and the failure might be repeated. I've now purchased a Hill MK4 pump for use at the range, and I'll use the built-in when necessary while in the field.

The Nova Liberty (not the Nova Freedom which is a twin to my Aspen) embodies the best of the Aspen, but deletes the pump in favor of a larger reservoir. It's lighter and more trim, too. The action, and likely all the important bits, are shared with my Aspen. The synthetic stock version of the Liberty was on sale this past week (coupon code given in these forums) for about $270 shipped, regular $299. Buying the Hill pump still puts you on the right side of $500. The included front and rear "iron" sights are wasted on a rifle that wants a scope, but the sights are easily removed.

Don't spend money on bling. Those $1000 (plus) guns buy bragging rights, but most shooters won't realize any performance improvement for their money. Unless you need extreme power for bigger game hunting, buy a less expensive PCP this time. When you buy the perfect gun next time, you'll be glad you didn't spend all your cash this time. Lastly, I prefer synthetic stocks because I never need worry about damaging nice wood. Guns are for shooting!

I have to agree, I look at it differently for those higher prices Id rather have along distance rifle vs airgun. To each thier own

Edgun my man. I know its not on your list but if I could only buy one high end airgun it would be an edgun. Leshey if you want a small but powerful backpacking gun or go with a bigger model. They can be tuned down to super low or super high and shoot anything from diabolo pellets to slugs. I bought a scope from them and thier service is second to none. 

I’d pick the FX streamline in .25, I have two FX guns and absolutely love them. The smooth twist barrel is just amazing. My .177 Royal has way over 8000 pellets through it. The only problem was the barrel did lead up after around 3000 pellets and I lost the one hole groups and started getting flyers. A good barrel cleaning and I was right back to the one hole groups. I just love the rifle. And my .25 Crown so far is absolutely perfect with no issues at all. And the pricing of the Streamline is awesome. What fun you’re going to be having!