• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Please ask a maker if you do NOT understand something.

It can be very frustrating for a maker when customers do not understand air guns or their accessories and then butcher a custom made part because they either did not read the instructions given, or did not understand them. It is very important that if you have no idea how a certain part attaches to your gun, ASK! I have just made a shroud for a customer for his Texan, he ignored my e-mails telling him that the shroud slides into the frame of the gun in place of the factory end cap and is held in place by the factory set screw. I have just received an irate e-mail that he is having to make brackets to attach the shroud because it does not hold onto the gun. This is one of the simplest shrouds to attach to any gun and anyone who has watched Bob Vogels video can not go wrong, it does not get any easier. Now I have a customer who has a totally butchered shroud because he either did not read my instructions on how to install it, or just ignored them. If anyone orders a custom made part for their gun and does not fully understand how to fit it, PLEASE ask before butchering it with hokey brackets that are not needed. It may just be me but I do not think there is anything easier than screwing an LDC to a barrel, or sliding on an LDC and tightening a set screw. I have also got one customer who told me he screwed on his LDC and broke his barrel, really?
Please give makers a break and ask questions before undertaking modifications like these, they will nullify any warranty I would have otherwise given the product. I hope this does not upset too many people but it is very important that everyone asks questions if they do not understand something, these can be dangerous if modified without knowledge of what you are doing. The riveted plates are what the customer has added so he can attach the shroud to the frame of the gun, where it simply slides into the frame of the gun and is held in place by the factory set screw. How he intended to make sure the shroud is aligned with the bore of the gun only he knows? Neil.

What really scares me is this is a 500fpe air gun, without sliding the end piece into the frame of the gun there is no way he could accurately align the shroud to the barrel. Even I would not hazard a guess as to what would happen firing a pellet through the shroud with it so badly misaligned, it could be extremely dangerous given how powerful it is and how heavy the cast slugs are for these guns. It is so important that customers understand we are custom makers for a very good reason, not everyone can do what we do, so please leave it up to the people who know what they are doing before making any kind of modification to something like this, in this case it could be very dangerous, Neil.

Yeh me too, he told me he was angry that he paid $200 for a shroud that does not work, he has already put it on the gun and told me it shot off the end of the gun when he fired it, no wonder! There is no way a shroud will hold itself on a barrel of a 500fpe air gun by friction alone. I still can not figure out how the brackets he has riveted to it are intended to hold it onto the gun. I should be ashamed of myself making something so simple to attach, I should have made a much more complicated way to install it, maybe that way it would have worked better, lol.

Thanks guys but in all seriousness doing something like this on such a powerful air gun can be very dangerous. I am not trying to ridicule my customer I just want customers to understand that we are custom makers and most of us do know what we are doing. If for any reason something does not appear to work correctly or fit correctly, ask the maker before modifying it. With a shroud on a powerful air gun, do not even fire the gun, unless you are 100% certain you have attached it firmly and correctly to the gun. This is not my first customer who has shot his shroud off the gun because it was not secured correctly. The last customer had a shroud with internal threads and despite the fact that he had supplied me with the correct threads for his shroud he thought the rubber o-ring in the end of the shroud was what held it on and did not screw it onto his gun. This is why I have posted this on the forum, this is not the first time or last time this will happen so to anyone who reads this post, please ask the maker if you are unsure about how to attach something to your gun, especially a shroud or LDC that can become a projectile. We would rather take the time to explain this to you than have someone injured because you were unsure of how to attach it. I will always answer a question like this very quickly so you can use your gun asap, all the best, Neil.

You may already do this, but an "educational label" may be in order. It would have the URL to the video and a disclaimer that any warranty is void if the item is altered in any way. 

I have read threads on forums where guys reported getting out hammers and other creative alignment devices, and even provided evidence of the resulting havoc. The simple truth is that some folks just don't see the stop sign. 

Neil don't upset yourself it is called Natural Selection and you can't do anything to stop it LOL.....your shroud was over engineered for that airforce rifle should have split the back part with a hacksaw and sent a couple hose clamps, He is probably using bailing wire to attach it come on isn't it obvious what he did LOL I Love Stupid it is very entertaining guess I have a sick sense of humor.

The way juries decide matters these days are you in anyway exposed to a liability lawsuit if he hurts himself or someone else? I know, common sense would say that you aren't, but times are different now.

Also, how much clearance is there that would allow those rivets sticking through that far and still allow the shroud to even go on? Did he have to grind something to accommodate the rivets to clear? I'll bet those rivets made some high quality scratch marks somewhere.

That is one double ugly unnecessary attempted fix. I would like to see the rest of his stuff he has cobbled up.