Playing with the PRod

Started trying to quieten the little booger down. Seemed like it was blowing a lot of air out of the end of it. So i went to backing things up, i got to 4 turns cw from 0 on the HST, and 3 turns on the throw, found this to be an acceptable noise level.. chrony says its running 650’ish. Im shooting the cheap crosman 14.3hp’s . Primary use will be punchin paper at 30y. Hopefully 650 will be fast enough to get them to group decent… i know faster is better, but im trying to be quiet, and short. May use this for rats / mice, inside barns or out buildings. Will put it on paper in the morning.

That seems a lot like my original tune before I did a Bstaley (O-rings around the valve stem to reduce or eliminate hammer bounce), increased the diameter of the transfer port and put in a stiffer hammer spring. I wanted more power to cleanly take squirrels. I got to about 18 fpe with about 25 good shots per fill. I can push it to 30 with a little lower velocity/energy. For smaller animals, your tune should be fine.

It is good to note the pressure in the air storage tank that gives you the velocity you want. I suspect 3000 will not give you 650, for instance. You probably want to fill to something like 2500 unless you turn up the power. Also good to know what the pressure will be when the velocity gets too low.

Reactions: Senor Ramon