• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Plastic bag pellet trap

Tominco's post about a rubber mulch pellet trap inspired me to try out an idea that I've been kicking around for a while. I got this idea from a post in some other shooting forum where someone was trapping pellets in a piece of PVC pipe stuffed with plastic bags. They were doing it to recover the pellets and inspect the rifling grooves, so they were firing into it from point blank range. Unfortunately I can't find that post to give credit to the original author.

I wadded up 50 plastic grocery store bags and stuffed them into a small cardboard box about 7" on a side. (A box from Pyramyd Air, appropriately enough.) At this density of bags, the box was slightly swollen. I fired four .177 7.33gr diabolo pellets into it from 15 yards on the low power setting of my FX Cyclone. They went into two holes and none of them exited the box. I recovered all four pellets, but I couldn't tell how deeply they penetrated because I had to disassemble the box and shake out the bags to find them. All four were deformed, and one of them looks like it was plowed into by another one.

I'm going to be shooting at this little box a lot over the coming days as I follow this scope setup tutorial (thanks to kris for the link.) Ultimately I'll be hitting it with JSB Monsters at 50 yards. I'll let everyone know how it holds up.

For a few years now I been using 10 or so paper magazines all held tightly together with duct tape for my in the shop trap to shoot into for crony testing. We still get enough paper magazines in that my wife saved me a big enough stack to do it several times over. Cheap as they get and easy. I rotate it as I shoot to be sure too many don't go thru the same hole. I found a section of canvas off an old camping stool that I back it with. When they get too shot up, make another one in 3 minutes..Brian