Planning on purchasing Marauder 22 vs 177. Suggestions

I was unsure of which would be my first PCP. I just bought a hill pump so I guess i need a gun. Yes I know it will be a bit of work but I want to start with low initial cost. I considered the Air Venturi avenger but it is not available currently with wood stock. Sounds like a great gun with limited track record. I can order a Marauder ($430 shipped for the same price and it has long track record and 5 year warranty with wood stock. I have all .177 guns incl breakbarrel R10 with lots of different pellets. I would consider .22 but I do not want to hunt but I want to shoot accurately out to 50-60 yds, I can get pretty heavy 177 pellets . So WHAT AM I MISSING OR NOT THINKING OF.. ?? Old posts suggested the 177 with the crossman barrels were more constantly accurate than 22 ie there were some bad 22 barrels. 

Thanks Just making sure I am on the correct track. 

barrels with most guns in this class your about going to have to get lucky with for a really awesome one, but chances are its going to be pretty good with either .. considerations - the wood on a marauder isnt going to be that nice and its heavy to .. with alittle finish work you can probably improve it a bit and wood is fine for the bench of course ... as far as caliber i definitely like .22 better but in these times at least around here .177 pellets are much easier to come by ...a hand pump will work for a marauder thats all i used for years .. unless your built like the rock you wont be filling it more than a few times a day though lol ..

Hi, I have both a .177 Air Venturi Avenger and a .177 Benjamin Marauder. They are both very accurate, not sure which is more accurate. The Marauder is just a tad more powerful and heavier, too. I don't tote it around in the woods, so its weight isn't an issue - I'm a handicapped back-yard plinker who uses a tripod rest. My Marauder isn't regulated, the Avenger is - I get more shots out of the Avenger.

I shot .177 RWS Meisterkugeln, 8.2 gr pellets from both to compare and here's what I got:

The Avenger - Avg velocity was 1033.6, FPE for that velocity was 19.46.

The Marauder - Avg velocity was 1096.9.6, FPE for that velocity was 20.69.

I don't have a .22 Marauder, but the .177 is sweet. Both of my .177's can kill a squirrel with a head shot. But, my .22 Daystate Wolverine and 25 Daystate High Power Wolverine just hammers them.

So, if you're gonna hunt with your Marauder, I go with a .22.

.177 rules. No issues with .177 at your suggested range even at 12fpe and you will be shooting a lot faster (most likely) and esp. if just getting into them 5 year warranty (and there support) might be very nice.

As far as the "bad .22 barrels" those have been out of the supply chain for at least a couple of years as they retooled or something. Many bores now seem a bit tight to me but group as well as the average shooter.

Stay in .177 where the fun is and if you really need to deal with 25mph winds or such during target practice often JSB and other have weight up to 16g in .177 now. 

While the benjamin maximus in stock from has an unacceptable trigger (there are cures) it is a decent value but grab a Marauder.

And keep us posted

John

I would recommend a Hatsan Flash rifle owning several of the basic wood Marauder (and couple Field and Target versions) are a lot heavier and seems to use more air per shot compared to the Hatsan Flash 177 when set at the same 18fpe power levels.

I own several Hatsan Flash rifles and the 177s I have (wood and synthetic) both cranked down to their minimum power levels at 18fpe. Fill only to 2000psi to 2200psi max get 35 to 40 consistent shots 

Crank it back to factory power level and fill to 3000psi then shoot 29fpe to 30fpe for slugs if you like.

They are super quiet and extremely tame to shoot when cranked down to their minimum 18fpe.

Hatsans are kind of rough and wouldn't advise buying any other models besides the Flash and Vectis and ATP1 and ATP2 and AT44 series and most certainly NOT their semiautos.

I have a Marauder and am incredibly happy with the gun. Get on YouTube and watch AEAC's review of the last Marauder, quite a while ago. As for barrels, in olden days, yes, the barrel lottery was a thing. In the past few years, Crosman made huge gains in accuracy. Personally, i'd go with the .22. Lots and lots of ammo choices, and the heavier pellet will carry further.

I have worked on mine quite a bit and have it comfortably tuned to about 22 fpe and get 50 shots per fill. normally, it'll get about 30 shots per fill at that energy. I worked with Mr. Hill at Hill Airguns and Xbowsniper (Tom Holland) here to install a regulator, lighter hammer spring and lighter hammer. Very consistent these days, and accurate to 70 yards or so. It's not a 100 yard gun, so don't expect that.

The Marauder is an excellent platform with a large user base and lots of after market parts available. Little long in the tooth these days, but still, I do like the gun.

Why not both?

Or, in my case, all three???

B497FE41-9E55-4A47-9567-070FE76B934B.1618248607.jpeg