Plain Stupidity, anybody else?

Not me but a True event!
While doing my time with the 82nd AirBorne a couple Guys in our barracks decided to play quick draw.
One had a 6 shooter like from the old west. One had a 1911 .45
This was something they did for several weeks we found out.
Last Game they played? Yep. One of them got a round through the heart.
DRT!

• Wow
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Air gun safetys are funny and i think some are far better the others

The gamo... You can engage the safety any time and you can safely decock it

The break barrel hw ... Safty is only one way once off you cant just go nack with out recocking but you can safely decock it .

The hatsan break barrel.. most unsafe imho . Oneway safety and cant be decocked . Has to be fired to disarm the spring .

Overall i way prefer a gun i can safely decock . And that gamo safety works no matter cocked and hot or not.

At the Grandad's one time, he told me that he had something to show me. (This was shortly after I'd given him a flea-market Crosman 140 that I'd fixed.) He took my brother and I to the basement and pulled a .22 semi-auto gallery gun out of a locker. The muzzle headed my way, so I stepped back as he pulled the trigger and put a round through the area that my head had just occupied. We left the area. Post haste. Then he couldn't understand why the people that he'd almost shot didn't want to see the gun. Okay...

J~

20230428_143335.jpg
Hardwood floor with my first airgun a bt65 25 cal. I put a rug over it and 7 years later my wife still has never even asked about it. 🤞

Saw a BP Chief shoot his trash can once. Funny how not funny it was. He had been right for about 30 years. Then one day...

Saw an Army armorer "kick start" an M60 while he was trying to clear a failure to feed. One round through his hip. He lived. Guess his "been right" quota was all filled up.
Just you dont believe i never had my oops moment's . It's s list a mile long....easy. and some oops and lucky can drive the point home for life. As in i bet i never do that again, ever

I’ll spare you the story..my Dad taught me that lesson at about age 6-7. He knew it was loaded..I knew it wasn’t. I pulled the trigger and bang !…60+ years later, I still remember and never repeated that mistake.
🤔My dad used to load a round into a single shot 12ga and hand it to me to skeet shoot. He would sneak in already fired shells to train me for misfires/clear the malfunction.
Helps with a few other things too: reload time, are you flinching for the shot, can you re-acquire your target fast enough, etc.

Reactions: JohnTaylor
I’m so hard on myself when I do something stupid that I’m surprised that I haven’t sued myself for defamation of character. It isn’t funny and it isn’t something I just brush off. When I had both Impact M3’s and MKll’s, I blew a hole in my wall with a 1,000+fps slug because they changed the safety position on the new model. I knew the gun was loaded but it felt like the trigger was rubbing the trigger guard. Flipped the safety from safe to fire and wham. A barrage of profanity and two guns with for sale signs on them. Having four guns that feel exactly the same but two have opposite safety positions than the other two is just a recipe for disaster. We just have to be thankful that nobody is hurt then beat the hell out of ourselves.

These things happen.
2 years ago a good friend, who always has a table at the gun shows, traded for a nice Barretta 92 with a young man.
I was standing there watching the deal because I was interested in a 92 myself. I asked and then picked up the 92 to examine it.
As is my habit, I dropped what was a FULL mag out onto my hand worked the slide only to see a live round fly over and land in my buddies lap.
The silence was palpable.
The next year I heard, but did not see a live round fired in the same venue.
Always safe.

Doc