Plain Stupidity, anybody else?

Was at a buddies house one afternoon. He took me to his man cave to show me his gun collection. He handed me his Anschutz .22LR bolt rifle, his pride and joy. I personally always open the action on any of my weapons BEFORE handing it to anyone, with the action open as well. He hands the rifle over with bolt closed, safety off. First thing I do is open the bolt, out flies a live round. He couldn’t apologize enough. I don’t think he’ll ever forget that lesson.

Treat a gun as if it was loaded.. ain't that one of the first golden rule you learn on gun responsibility? 😇
You don’t have to abide by this. Just ask Alec Baldwin.

I once bought a Kahr pm9 off armslist. When I met the guy to pick it up he handed it to me to look at. When I opened the slide a live round popped out. He didn’t think anything of it nor did he say anything. I think he thought I would assume it was loaded as it was a carry gun 🤷‍♂️

You don’t have to abide by this. Just ask Alec Baldwin.

I once bought a Kahr pm9 off armslist. When I met the guy to pick it up he handed it to me to look at. When I opened the slide a live round popped out. He didn’t think anything of it nor did he say anything. I think he thought I would assume it was loaded as it was a carry gun 🤷‍♂️
Ya, it's the famous " its everythings else's fault but my own" policy. Then sue em for millions ..

I had a negligent discharge in my garage once, about 6 months later I found where it went…my poor vintage speaker will never be the same.
IMG_8259.jpeg

Reactions: Rawroots
I always double ckeck if an air rifle is uncocked before going back in it's resting place, normally point towards woods and pull trigger, if inside it's either an old coat on the floor or a card board box full of scrap paper, never had one go off. Then a week ago i dusted off a rimfire that is tube fed, put 5 rounds in and shot 5 times confidently, stood it in the corner and came back to put it away, out of habit i pointed it at that old coat on basement floor and it went off, dammit, started to repair divvit in my epoxy floor, think the wife will find it? Probably. Had to have been one round stuck out of site in that tube, stupid, anybody else this stupid?
Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 12.50.02 PM.jpg

You have heard John Wayne's quote "Live is hard, harder if you are stupid". Well expanding on it "Life is expensive, outrageous if you are stupid". A few months ago, I was shooting squirrels in the butt that sit on my bird feeder with my Daisy 99 say about 25 feet from the kitchen door. I see a squirrel in the woods and decided to just scare him. Did not aim and just pointed the gun and fired. To my dismay, it hit the metal bird feeder. Went to look at the damage to the bird feeder and then noticed my neighbors SUV parked in his driveway to the right of me about 30 feet back. Praying, I went over and looked at his windshield. Sure enough, there was chip at the very upper left corner of his windshield. I showed it to my neighbor and he thanked me for being honest. I now realize why I got those whippings as a kid for busted garage windows when I told my dad I was shooting the oppisite direction. I told my neighbor I appreciate him for not whipping my ass like my dad did. He laughed but later he thanked me proper when he handed me a $800 repair bill. I could have bought a HW 98 for that money!!!!! Also with that stunt, my wife now has a get out of free dent the car card.

Reactions: Rawroots
My goodness,none of this should have happened,no excuses!Lot of lucky people,one of my best friends was not so lucky ,his brother thought the pistol was unloaded and shot his brother in the head and killed him ;we were in the 12th grade,his brother was never the same,took up drugs and alcohol to soothe his pain,,,Paul Crabtree......was my friends name...rest in peace Paul and your brother to.tfbs when people get stupid...
We had to take a firearms safety class to be able to get our hunting license.
None of this is funny,it is SAD.I guess the good news and the sharing helps all to realize gun safetry is for real.

Being a Real Man? I crawled to the back door on my knees begging forgiveness the whole way to show the Wife.
She was like. Meh.
WTH is up with that additude? I suspect a trap!
Maybe she has a mistake to show you, too... :oops:
Could be lots of reasons for that oddly low-key response.

If it were me, I’d be pretty fired up—and that includes if I were the one who’d shot it!

you ether did something stupid OR your going to do something stupid .

My first comp. every one shot , droped the mag., put the pistol flat against the chest , turned to the right and set the pistol down on the stand ( always pointed down range ). ME being left handed followed the same directions . Guess where my pistol was pointed ?

• Haha
Reactions: Treefrog
Some years ago when I carried a handgun, my EDC was a Smith model 66 snub.
I went to the range with it one day and was running it through a steel plate drill. I was having some issues with my double action trigger work so decided to run the drill a couple times dry firing the gun. Returned to the bench and dumped the cylinder, took a quick glance at the back of the cylinder to make sure the gun was cleared. Walked to the line and on the third trigger pull the gun went off. Scared the hell out of me. Then when I pondered the inevitable which was I had gotten casual with my gun safety it really bothered me. The entire incident was on me and a product of lax gun safety. Fortunately, I was on a controlled range and there was a very effective backstop.

Things could have been much worse. Never “casually” inspect a gun to make sure it is cleared. It doesn’t make any difference if it is a 357 mag or a 12 fpe air gun.

Reactions: Treefrog