Plain Stupidity, anybody else?

I always double ckeck if an air rifle is uncocked before going back in it's resting place, normally point towards woods and pull trigger, if inside it's either an old coat on the floor or a card board box full of scrap paper, never had one go off. Then a week ago i dusted off a rimfire that is tube fed, put 5 rounds in and shot 5 times confidently, stood it in the corner and came back to put it away, out of habit i pointed it at that old coat on basement floor and it went off, dammit, started to repair divvit in my epoxy floor, think the wife will find it? Probably. Had to have been one round stuck out of site in that tube, stupid, anybody else this stupid?

I always check as well. Generally before I put a gun away, I check the bolt and de-cock (or dry fire, depending on my mood) in a safe direction. I pulled a gun from its case a few weeks ago, just to handle it and remember the feel of pulling the trigger... Bam! Off it goes at 3:30AM in my office, waking the wife and bring her ire on me. Thankfully, no pellet was loaded. But definitely a situation: brownpants moment!

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
When I was a boy I went over to a friends house whose mom and dad had just bought him a new Winchester 30-30 for the upcoming deer season. He was showing the gun to me. He handed the gun to me and I instinctively opened the lever to make sure it was unloaded. I gave the gun back to him. I was sitting on a chair in his room and he was sitting on the bed. He was cycling the lever action, pointing and pulling the trigger. I'd been taught from birth not to ever do that and warned him that it wasn't safe. He laughed a little but he kept doing it. At that moment he decided to point the gun directly at me and opened the the lever. A live round popped up ready to go down the chamber. I guess it had been stuck inside the tube. We both turned white as a sheet.

I always double ckeck if an air rifle is uncocked before going back in it's resting place, normally point towards woods and pull trigger, if inside it's either an old coat on the floor or a card board box full of scrap paper, never had one go off. Then a week ago i dusted off a rimfire that is tube fed, put 5 rounds in and shot 5 times confidently, stood it in the corner and came back to put it away, out of habit i pointed it at that old coat on basement floor and it went off, dammit, started to repair divvit in my epoxy floor, think the wife will find it? Probably. Had to have been one round stuck out of site in that tube, stupid, anybody else this stupid?
I found I had left a 22LR loaded in one of my rimfire rifles. I’m not in the habit of using safeties since my primary safe is pulling the bolt and storing it in the soft case pocket. Big stupid near miss, only last month.

With airguns, I once buried a .30 in the base of the wall in my bedroom. Punched a hole in the drywall. Fortunately it must have buried in a stud or something since it was entrance damage only.

I also shot the lower lip of a vinyl window frame when taking out starlings through the window. Window still sealed but it looked like crap.

All of this reinforces how crucial it is to be conscious about where the muzzle is pointed at all times, and never walk downrange of a gun unless it is 100% visually safe. I spent enough time around benchrest centerfire guys to appreciate the simplicity of pulling the bolt as the safety measure.

Reactions: Rawroots
More than plain stupidity applies to me. 2 years ago when I was sighting in my 44 magnum rifle with a light trigger for deer hunting. My brother and friend were in front of me setting up a target and coming back to me. I had the gun on the rest, round in chamber and safety off. When they got within about 3 feet from the barrel, my hand must have accidentally brushed the trigger. I sent a 44 magnum 300 grain bullet about 12" from my brothers head. He did have hearing protection on. Thanking God and following range rules now for all shooting. No round in the chamber till everybody behind me. Sad truth was an accident, years ago, that happened to my brothers friend who owed the adjacent property. Had a muzzleloader accident that killed his young son. Not sure what happened except a dead son and a grieving father was the resoult. Be safe. Can never let your guard down and idiot proof your guns when handling them, shooting them and storing them. Stay Safe.

A friend of my brother’s died young when he was playing with another friend who pointed a loaded gun at him and pulled the trigger.

The shooter was in my age class and I never could look at him without thinking of that accident.

Closer to home—as in, inside my own kitchen—my husband’s brother wanted to look at my revolver, which I had never shot but kept loaded (we had been burglarized before). I opened the action to unload it, closed it and started to hand it over, when suddenly I saw that only 5 rounds sat on the table. I said, “Hold on, there must be another round inside...”, when he GRABBED the gun from me. He said, “Nah, it’s fine.” Way too eager to play with it! He slowly pulled the trigger and fired it, fortunately on an empty chamber. Maybe he saw the back of the round on a different chamber before doing that, but I resented him for not allowing me to clear my own gun OR not opening it himself to doublecheck. I took the gun back, opened it again, and dumped out the live round still in the cylinder, glaring at him. He said absolutely nothing, which is his family’s way of revealing fault without admitting it.

Since then, Big Bro never, ever gets to touch any of my gear again, and when he asked about shooting on our land, both my husband and I said, NO. Just because he hunts deer doesn’t mean he is a safe shooter.

Last edited:
"anybody else this stupid?" Hail know i ai'nt!🥴

I are MOUCH smatrer sence this 9mm whole "hapennt":geek:-

9mm OOPS.JPG

Last edited:
a long time ago when I was barely a teenager me and my uncle went out grouse hunting. when we got back my uncle place the shotgun by the door and sat on the couch, now my grandfather comes out and grabs the gun, points it at the floor and pulls the trigger. while we're all deaf he starts yelling at everyone and as a kid my reply was who's the dummy that pulled the trigger lol. looking at it now, many lessons were learned that day. never just pull the trigger, it's easier to look first. never come inside with a loaded weapon. keep your weapons away from other people and the last is duct tape really does fix everything lol.

And that is why he pointed it at the floor and not a lamp across the room...
True story.

Years ago I was working a contract in El Paso with BORTAC. We were doing some installations of modems at EPIC. One of the engineers who was assigned to that task came out. A Chief from USBP and he went to a gun show. He bought a Glock in .45 and they went out into the desert to shoot some cans.

That evening they came back to the Embassy Suites in El Paso. The engineer went to his room. He decided to clear his weapon and worked the slide then dropped the mag. He then pointed the Glock at a lamp across the room and pulled the trigger. Naturally it fired.

The round went through the lamp, through the wall, and through the lady bending over her newborn baby's crib to pick her up. Straight through her heart. She died.

The rest of the story is even more of a pisser but suffice it to say government contractors will lie to courts.

NEVER EVER POINT IT AT SOMETHING YOU DONT MIND KILLING AND MIND WHERE IT WILL GO AFTER IT HITS THAT.

Was a teenager and hunting rabbits with our beagle Spotty. Carrying a Winchester double shotgun. For some reason and I don’t remember why, I would put two fingers on both triggers and then (very)mindlessly play with the safety. The gun went off and jammed the ejector lever into the base of my thumbnail. OUUCH!
It hurt so bad I thought I must have fired both barrels. So what did I do? Pulled the triggers again to see. BLAM! Jammed my thumbnail again! Spotty comes running up to me looking like, Where’s the rabbit?
I wasn’t fast or slow. I was “half fast”
Thank God I was hunting alone.
Dad taught me never shoot a rabbit you walked up on when hunting with your dog. Always call the dog and put it on the trail. The dog deserves it. Your dog will bring many more rabbits around for easy shots. Than you will ever find working the hard way kicking brush. Let the dog have fun too!