Plain Jane stock

This has to be the most boring stock ever. I checked into hydro but that costs more that the gun is worth. Sand it down and stain it, still boring with the arrow straight grain, paint, bed liner? what do you guys think.
Mike
Stain and seal?🤔
No matter how a wood looks; it ALWAYS feels better to the toouch than anything else(for me)

I usually like an oil finish best. The grain on this thing is boring. Forgot to put the pic in there....oopss
20230305_154835.jpg

I usually like an oil finish best. The grain on this thing is boring. Forgot to put the pic in there....oopssView attachment 360792
That looks like a plain canvas and ready for
Fake tiger stripe wood grain?
I would practice on a piece of scrap before attempting

or this?

Last edited:
Without seeing it, hard to even say if the mystery gun is even worth considering any upgrade; much less all this worrying. However, assuming it's a white-wood stock, sometimes there is some level of grain personality hiding beneath walnut-'stain' PAINT. I've often stripped such stocks and elected to forego attempting to re-stain them before applying a SUPERIOR clear finish.

One way to dress up a plain stock is to add a grip cap, and/or rubber butt-pad, walnut or snake-skin adornments, and or reshape the stock to a more aesthetic shape. Some of my efforts to improve the aesthetics of walnut-'stain' PAINTED white-wood stocks-

180 F.L.JPG

TW 160.JPG

1685541796951.png

JCH FL LS.JPG

Sharp 648 RS.JPG

Snake Tau LS.JPG

QB grip cap close.JPG

180 grip cap.JPG

I used some Varathane stain recently on the frame of a table made of softwood and it worked noticably better than Minwax stain. If you decide to stain and finish it, I recomend Varathane stain. You should be able to get it at a home center if you are in the U. S.. That will make it brown but will not give it any interesting grain.

My P35s came with plastic stocks (talk about boring) and I recently completed the third wood replacement. I made the first of softwood scraps and ended up painting it black. I made stocks largely to get them to fit my long arms and big hands better. I needed about 1.25 more length of pull and the grip pushed back 3/8ths of an inch or so. But wood is also nicer and lighter in this case. I'll add the mahogany and cherry ones picture. The mahogany is plain grain but nicely dark. The cherry will get darker with age and has a bit more character. But the wood is not figured like you sometimes see in maple, cherry, and walnut (really it happens in all types of wood but is more common in some). The cherry will probably get darker than the mahogany but it takes at least months for that to happen. The top of the table the cherry stocked gun is on is cherry.

P35-177 in mahogany stock.jpg

P35 cherry stock.jpg

Reactions: Nattboy
Freak-eye is a member here and he torched his Akela stock. I thought it came out great although I’m not sure I had the nerve to try it myself.
Here’s his post about it.