• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Places to shoot in socal?

Okay, some of you may want to look into this SoCal opportunity in Dulzura, Ca.. A friend of mine gave me aa card to this family owned 400 acre sporting ranch. He had been out for a firearm shooting event and said it was a great shooting location. I gave them a call a couple years ago and they were open to hosting an airgun fun/competitive event. Specifically, if I remember correctly, they were oriented to doing and all day or weekend event. They have campgrounds, fishing, hiking, turkey hunts, etc. I think they were willing to cater the event and the works. I didn't follow up at the time because I didn't have time to develop a plan and really just wanted a regular shooting location. I do explicitly remember them saying you had to remove all trash from the site when the event is over. About 40 miles east of San Diego.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mottolaranch

20190811_170236.jpg

Last edited:
Depending where in Orange county, the place we are shooting at on Sunday is not far you should come out (no powder burners allowed). We are meeting up at the McDonalds on the I15 & 138 highway at 7 a.m. The place is BLM land about 6 miles away from that.

Depending where in Orange county, the place we are shooting at on Sunday is not far you should come out (no powder burners allowed). We are meeting up at the McDonalds on the I15 & 138 highway at 7 a.m. The place is BLM land about 6 miles away from that.
I know it's a long shot, but are you guys still meeting up to shoot on the weekends?

Unfortunately things are pretty much the same. California, it's so hard to have a shooting range or gun club with all the laws and insurance requirements. The gun clubs that are operating have insane rules and steps for joining if you want to shoot during the week. Have a back log of almost 5 years in some cases to join. Kind of a "good luck" situation if you ever want to practice for NRL. Weekends you can hit most clubs/ranges but you will be sharing with tons of people and it gets frustrating. Constant stopping, unloading, clear/safe, move from bench - so people can get their targets, or set up. You can never get in to rhythm during the weekend. I found it too frustrating to bother in the end. Other states are having issues also, but most of them you can head out and shoot in the country without issues, not California unless you want to use you copper ammo on paper/steel. Too expensive for me. Airguns you can still currently shoot in the country/desert with lead, but most cities/counties have airgun ordinances so you will have to read up on it before you shoot. San Bernardino County is pretty conservative for shooting, but still has some pretty black and white airgun rules in their ordinances, so careful where you go. Also law enforcement even here is serious about the lead ban, unfortunately you will get caught if you shoot lead thinking you are all alone in the desert, you are not, not anymore at least. Last 10 years the high desert has turned in to the inland empire for the most part. Everyone calls and reports everyone now for everything. There is no such thing as Rual anymore. Even an airgun with an LDC is going to get you checked on by law enforcement. Most LE do not know that you can shoot lead with airguns legally, always is a hassle explaining you are meeting the law to LAW ENFORCEMENT lol. I was fine with my "pellet guns" for as long time, kind of sucks now. Even got accused by a young Sheriff Deputy of animal cruelty hunting ground squirrels in the middle of the desert with the closest house 5 miles away. Apparently I was reported by an "off roader". Totally legal, meet all the requirements. Obviously it's not animal cruelty, but this is how these "kids" think nowadays. They are all Kalifornia Karens. Good luck in the search!
I've yet to shoot anywhere around here outside my back yard so was pretty curious about this. I'm in the high dessert as well and did not know how the local LE would be in this regard. I've heard things are better, more relaxed over in Kern but have yet to verify this.