• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Piston shooters

Shooting piston is like dating a crazy woman. Some days are fantastic and everything just works. Other days (most days?) things are a little out of whack and you have to chase the zero around to figure out where things are going. And like dating a crazy woman, it can be fun and challenging, but you wind up asking yourself "what am I doing? this doesn't have to be this hard". A lot.

The trick to "dating" crazy women is confining the relationship to where it belongs; and away from family, "friends", and far, FAR from the altar! Having twice violated this truism myself, once again I speak as the Voice Of Experience. And although I wouldn't take for some of those most-"memorable" experiences, I consider myself lucky to have survived two psycho-wives.

During my last reconnection with #1 (for me, #4 for her) I asked, "How many times have you been married now, Jackie?" She replied, "Eight; but only 6 husbands." Soon as I told her I wasn't interested in marrying again she lost interest.

Number 2 almost killed me, took a quarter-century of my best years, and $100K to finally rid myself of. The day she drove away (destined for Portland, Oregon) was one of the best days of my life!🤪

The ensuing four years have been nothing less than spectacular; just me and the girl of my dreams spending quality time together on 30 acres of Texas heaven on Earth, and sharing it with a few dozen good airgun friends.

Full Group GP.jpeg

R & M working.JPG

After swearing off springers for several years I've now added three to the toy-chest, and toyed with the thought of shooting FT with them. But then recall the times I tried in decades past, only to discover them too analogous to ex-wives! How so?

As I've stated on this forum- "Not every airgunner enjoys a violent chain of events taking place under his face every time he trips the trigger".:unsure::oops::eek:

🤣

• Love
Reactions: Billinoregon
As I've stated on this forum- "Not every airgunner enjoys a violent chain of events taking place under his face every time he trips the trigger".:unsure::oops::eek:

🤣
I was reminded of this fact a couple of weeks ago. I recently got a firearm buddy addicted to airguns at the club. Hes been shooting powder for 60yrs and wanted something to shoot in his basement (his wife didn't appreciate rimfire being shot in the house😆 )

He bought some cheap Beeman break barrel which managed to break in a month. He asked me to find him something nice and gave me a pretty good budget to play with. Found him an FWB 300. Fast forward a month and he asks me to get him a second 300 so he can scope it for 25m bench rest with me. Done deal but I told him to try my TX so he could play some Field Target too. My TX is pretty well tuned so I thought he'd love it. He took one shot with that gun and hated everything about it. Too much recoil and too hard to cock.

He has 2x 300s now and I'll try to get him hooked on PCP this month.

Reactions: beerthief
Anyone who willingly relocates to Portland is certifiable. I know; I was born 50 miles south of there.
Having dipped a toe in the money pit of PCPs and quickly withdrawn it, I hope to shoot FT again with a springer before too awful long. I understand the allure of PCPs; they can be scary accurate and are incredibly, even inherently shootable. To me, an apt comparison of springer to PCP would be traditional archery tackle to a compound. It takes days, weeks, months of real practice to consistently put an arrow in the bullseye with a long bow. It takes about 20 minutes with a compound. It's one of those "Is it the getting there or the journey that is important to you?" things ...

Anyone who willingly relocates to Portland is certifiable. I know; I was born 50 miles south of there.
Having dipped a toe in the money pit of PCPs and quickly withdrawn it, I hope to shoot FT again with a springer before too awful long. I understand the allure of PCPs; they can be scary accurate and are incredibly, even inherently shootable. To me, an apt comparison of springer to PCP would be traditional archery tackle to a compound. It takes days, weeks, months of real practice to consistently put an arrow in the bullseye with a long bow. It takes about 20 minutes with a compound. It's one of those "Is it the getting there or the journey that is important to you?" things ...

"Anyone who willingly relocates to Portland is certifiable." Oh, SHE IS! Suffice to say the straw that finally broke the camel's back was the 2016 election; whereupon her madness increased to hysterical TDS. To quote this mornings text from her daughter (who became Conservative in 2022 and relocated from Portland to Salem), "Remind me to tell you about the lies she's made up". I can't post her other quotes about her mom here.

My bicycle store logo water bottles included this adage- "It is the journey that matters, not the destination."

I just put the five bows I'm not claiming as my own in a very upscale artisan gallery in Clifton, Texas. And though retired from bow-building, I still consider myself an archer. Mind you, not a good archer! But a great bowyer-

1696610245398.png

We have much in common, Bill. Glad you escaped LaLa Land, Bud. Hope you're enjoying Little Ol' TEXAS!(y)

Had a chance to buy a Whiscombe 50 ? in a box . I was assured it was all there but no stock . I didn't know what i was passing up at the time .
Anyone have a size 14 boot to kick my butt with ?
I would love to own one, but I can't afford it. Just the dry cleaning bills for the tuxedo would break me.

I like shooting them all! I love a piston gun(well some) and I love PCP. I shoot a pcp more accurately and with more consistency and do I get the same satisfaction knocking over a face plate with the pcp as the piston, hell yes! One style is not more satisfying than the other to me. It's like bow hunting(when I still did) started with compounds then hunted the last 15yrs with traditional just for something new and different to learn. Now I have a crossbow that is more accurate than I was ever with a regular bow.
If I was held down and had to choose to get 2 guns (back up)setup for hunter class it would be 2 PCPs(daystates) set up identical. Why, the repeatability with the guns. I don't care if you have the same exact setups for piston guns(97s,tx,54s) same tune kits heck even the same guy tuning them if you send them off. They will not be similar in consistency or ease of transition from one to another. BUT I still love shooting them.
The ultimate goal is to have fun squeezing that trigger.

Jon

Reactions: gonzav71
I like piston but haven’t shot mine lately but need to. It makes you a better shooter. I like to fact you can get a nice rifle like a HW97 or TX200 and have the top piston rifle made for way less than a top PCP. They are simple. No filling with air. I don’t not find they change point of impact. It’s just a matter as me as the shooter getting into the groove. Every time I thought my point of impact changed and I changed my sight setting I found myself back to my original sight setting not too far into the match as I got settled in. Piston rifles are just as accurate as PCP rifles. You just have to learn how to shoot them. WFTF Piston is really the purest form of the sport. I enjoy both Piston and PCP. I am fortunate to have nice rifles in both to use depending on the mood I am in.