• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pistol recommendations?

A creek that I canoe and wade fish for smallmouth is becoming a bit too populated with cottonmouths to suit me, so I'd like to get a good reasonably powerful pistol to carry in the canoe. I wade too deep to carry it on my hip, so being able to holster it isn't a concern but a rifle is too big to keep dry all day.
Something along the lines of a Crosman 1322 would be fine BUT is it gonna hold pressure all day? Having to pump the sumbitch up before taking a shot is likely to not be very convenient or productive but I don't know if anything CO2 is gonna have enough power to blow a good hole in their head.
It needs to be a pretty accurate but reliable and TOUGH gun that won't throw a fit if it gets a little water splashed on it occasionally. I figure if I start shooting it and tuning it up now then by the time the onery pit vipers come back out I'll be good enough with it to take care of business.

And yes I know the difference between water snakes and the bad boys, I actually like snakes and normally don't kill one but the cottonmouths are getting too thick for comfort on this particular creek.

Any good suggestions would be appreciated, and I'll start shopping. Under 100.00 would be nice since it's gonna be more of a tool than a part of my prized collection.

Maybe a little too pricey, but, I LOVE my Baikal IZH MP-46M single stoke pneumatic. Never runs out of air. Competition grade accuracy and precision. Fantastic match grade adjustable trigger. Just be sure to bring enough pellets. Because if the bass aren't biting, you'll be shooting! As a matter of fact, it's so much fun to shoot that you may decide to shoot even if the bass ARE biting.

BeemanR7

I'm afraid that 400-450fps with a .177 isn't enough punch.
I went bullfrog hunting once with a similar power pistol and the pellets bounced off their heads.

I like the looks of that Airmax, pretty sweet, but the end cost is beyond the budget.

That Baikal is a crazy looking critter, not sure if I could like that one but the specs are inline with what I think I need.

So you think a Crosman 2240 has enough power to get the job done? That would be cool because I like the looks/feel of them. Just concerned about the power.

@fishinwrench -I have personally seen a 2240 put a .22 Crosman Premier(CP) pellet clean through the head of a large Cotton Mouth while fishing in a Jon boat on the Santee in SC., This was with a standard 7" barrel. I have a friend that lives on a lake and kills several snakes(unfortunately he kills every snake he sees) a year with his 2240 including Copper Heads. 

The easiest way to increase their velocity is with a longer barrel,thus energy(about 14 fps with every inch of barrel length past 7"). I shoot them in different barrel lengths and a good compromise is a 10 " barrel that will give you over 500 fps with a .22 CP in most temperatures and be relatively compact. The drawback would be like today when it is 32 degrees so a CO2 12g powerlet will only produce 520 psi where as on a 77 degree day it will produce 900 psi.

I like to put a steel breech on my 2240s so that I have a 11mm rail to add any type of sight system I want(adjustable open, red dot, scopes,etc.). It also makes the gun really solid. The cheapest way to build a custom 2240 is through Crosman's Custom Shop. You can virtually build the pistol you want cheaper than you can yourself. The drawback is that it takes about 3 weeks to get to you. The other thing about a 220 is it has the perfect velocity to make an empty water bottle really fly. It's one of my favorite plinkers. I hope this helps.

Ok nevermind I figured it out.

Once I got started I couldn't stop, ended up spending damn near 400.00

8ee05f0ae77c71ff972ef6323f35975b.jpg

I have the 1322 and 2240 both I've personally customized extensively its a passion to spend money on a platform that only coast like a hundred bucks I've done valve mods, steel breach,flat top piston, muzzle, barrel, real wood(red oak), pistol scope, red dot, PCP adapter know as a Hipac, there's a repeater breach(using a Benjamin Marauder clip) with shroud available you can spend a lot of money. The coast effective way would be to get a Benjamin Marauder Air Pistol If your going to spend 500. bucks why not the Benjamin Marauder Air Pistol you have the advantage of multi-repeating shots. (22 clip holds eight shots) which is nice for multi able inbound targets. Get a bottle to fill and a hand pump you would have it made.
here's a nice kit for 412.17
http://www.crosman.com/treestand-companion-kit-1
or if a kits not your thing
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-pistols/marauder-pcp-air-pistol-22-cal
however you will need a scope or red dot

Dang Fishinwrench you really went full tilt. Nice pistol. You will enjoy your 2240 and it will last you a lifetime(if anything goes wrong with it you can replace any part on it). They really shoot Crosman pellets well with Ultra Mags being their favorite but CPs work great too. There is an old adage "Crosman guns shoot Crosman pellets", which I have found to be true.

We do things like Jock Elliott's 50 yard pistol challenge (shooting cans @ 50 yards) with them or kill pest birds like cowbirds or starlings. They are just fun air pistols to shoot and are one of the more powerful CO2 pistols. I own several PCP pistols but tend to shoot my 2240s more. A couple of interesting sites to look at as far as 2240s go are Alliance Hobby and GMAC Airguns. I think you will really enjoy your 2240.

@spysir You're right a Crosman 600 is a fun gun being a 10 shot auto albeit a 2240 in Fishinwrench's set-up will be about 150 fps faster than a standard 600 although that follow up shot may come in handy. If I'm in a real water moccasin infested are(a certain southern plantation comes to mind) I will have my Ruger SP 101 Revolver with #12 snake shot.

I have the perfect custom Crosman Shorty for you, small, compact, custom built co2, my daughter uses one for the same reason. We built a few with the fiber opic sights, custom grips, B & As boss valve, 1720 grip frame and trigger, 22 cal, flow thru Bolt, 1720 custom Fluted hammer, Aluminum double barrel band, crosman rear Willams sight, front fiber optic sight, co2 22 cal 450 fps 13.43 jsb. Email me Njnoodles at verizon dot net or text 917 eight eight seven, 5320