• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pistol or Bullpup?

I'm considering buying a new PCP pistol or bullpup in .25 or .30. Even though I have a few PCPs, I am no expert, so I figured I would ask those that have more knowledge than I do.

This is what I am thinking for my next PCP. I want to use it for night hunting, so I would prefer picatinny rail vs dovetail, but not a deal breaker, since I could just buy an adaptor. I would like to mount a PARD digital NV scope or thermal for night hunting. I would like a PCP that could take down a pig, so I'm thinking that I need to be looking at a .25 or .30. I have never owned a .30, so I'm unsure how loud they are...whatever I buy, I'll be putting on a moderator.

Here are my requirements:
1) My max budget would probably $1,000.00 just for the pistol or bullpup.
2) Able to mount PARD or thermal optic...picatinny.
3) Compact...OAL I'd like to keep it below 30".
4) Able to take down a pig.

I'm no PCP expert, so the pistol/bullpup would need to be GTG out of the box or simple that I can work on it...I have put many firearms together, but PCP's are not my strong suit.

From what I've read...AEA, SnowPeak P35 are some of the PCPs that might fit my needs.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
There are no air pistols with enough power for hunting pigs.
Add a minimum power to your list, as caliber is not an indicator of airgun power. For instance, the SnowPeak P35 you list, is on the lower end of the power spectrum, with 33fpe in .25cal while others are pushing upwards of 50fpe. For a piggy gun, I recommend going for a .30cal or .35cal maybe this Evanik Max-ML ||

There are no air pistols with enough power for hunting pigs.
Add a minimum power to your list, as caliber is not an indicator of airgun power. For instance, the SnowPeak P35 you list, is on the lower end of the power spectrum, with 33fpe in .25cal while others are pushing upwards of 50fpe. For a piggy gun, I recommend going for a .30cal or .35cal maybe this Evanik Max-ML ||
I can get 54 fpe out of my Talon P shooting .25 cal 33.95 JSB King Heavys, and have pushed that to over 60 fpe
But it is a single shot, and while it is listed as a pistol, I reallyl don't consider it to be one, especially once you add a butt stock, or in my case a full stock.

Anyway, I suspect with good shot placement I could take a pig, but would rather use something that goes BANG for that task
Racoons, and other medium sized pests are another story. That is actually why I bought the TalonP to begin with.

FX Wildcat MK III compact. 27 inches long. I just bought a very nice used one from a member for $1000.00 with extras. They come up here every so often. Here is a photo and the power specs from FX.
D82F1E08-DD3F-45AE-BDCA-C30775E10949.png
D7AF23A4-128E-46B2-AF24-09E088FF3437.jpeg

Use this chart as a guide of what you need to hunt the game you desire. There are videos of hunters taking small hogs with 55fpe guns with head shots. If you are wanting to do body shots you should probably go with a .35 caliber.
8D77EC2D-325D-4D04-BCB2-9966EF7C292A.jpeg

I can get 54 fpe out of my Talon P shooting .25 cal 33.95 JSB King Heavys, and have pushed that to over 60 fpe
But it is a single shot, and while it is listed as a pistol, I reallyl don't consider it to be one, especially once you add a butt stock, or in my case a full stock.

Anyway, I suspect with good shot placement I could take a pig, but would rather use something that goes BANG for that task
Racoons, and other medium sized pests are another story. That is actually why I bought the TalonP to begin with.
Like I said, most .25cals can get 50fpe, and while your Talon peaks 60fpe, you see why this makes the 33fpe of the SnowPeak .25cal appear anemic.

Pig with a true air pistol is a hard one, perhaps an AR6 (may be called something else now) with a well placed shot.
Bullpup, ugh, sorry but I guess someone needs t love them.
A .25 Airforce Escape UL at 4.5lb -w/out optic- 33" length -some adjustment +/- and right at 70fpe w/pellets tho a single shot would certainly work.
And a bit cheaper when shooting a lot.

John

I have my P35-35 tuned to 32 fpe but I turned it down because it was most accurate with H&N FTTs which only weigh 20 grains. At the factory regulator setting they were going 900 fps or a little more which I think is a bit much, especially in the wind. At the stock regulator setting I got about 740 fps with 33.95 grain JSBs which is 41 fpe. I later found a burr in the barrel port and when I removed it the velocity went up about 40 fps with the FTTs (so the regulator came down). I doubt you'd see that much change on the 33.95s but haven't retested.

I think "anemic" is a bit strong but I agree the P35 is on the lower power end for a 25. Low to mid 40s fpe is certainly available but getting it up over 50 fpe seems like it would be challenging. There are several people selling pieces to about double the plenum and the regulator could be increased but still a 450mm barrel is on the small side. If I wanted a 50 fpe gun, I'd start with a bullshark, it has a barrel almost 500 mm long and is otherwise about the same. I think getting it over ~50 fpe with either gun would be more trouble than it's worth.

The 18 squirrels my P35-25 has taken so far (without a loss) would also not agree it is "anemic". I've seen videos of others taking hogs with inexpensive 25 caliber air rifles, like an Avenger (which I also have). So it is possible but shot placement would also have to be really good, I think. I wouldn't attempt it unless I knew the gun would shoot through 3/4 plywood or MDF at the range you would use it for. My Avenger tuned to about 42 fpe will shoot through 3/4 at 25 yards but won't at 100 - I haven't tried inbetween. My guess is you could take a hog with a P35 tuned up over 40 fpe but the range would have to be really short. Easier to do it with other more powerful airguns.