pistol grip end cap

i finally finished my pistol end cap project , rose wood micarta with a laser burned deer , i think it came out good without touching the original stock finish

20230114_120415 air rifle pistol grip end cap.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
"Micarta is usually layers of cloth in a matrix, how do you make this using rosewood?"

Most likely just micarta in layers of dyed white-wood misrepresented with the buzz-word 'rosewood' for marketing purposes. I've also seen laminated-wood pistol grips actually marketed as Coco Bolo. In both cases the buzz-words should be prefaced properly with 'FAUX'.

Such shameless marketing TRICKERY is partly why we so often see consumers misrepresenting their guns' walnut-stained hardwood stocks as walnut; sometimes purposely, occasionally not.

180 grip cap.JPG
Real Rosewood (Moradillo) cap on a walnut-stained hardwood stock stripped of the walnut paint to reveal the natural grain.

FN grip R.jpg
Rosewood (Bocote) cap on real walnut beautified with a soft-luster finish.

QB grip cap close.JPG
Real Coco Bolo on a walnut-stained hardwood stock.

Clues that the same woodworker did all three examples are the brass Phillips-head cap attachment screws, a preference for soft-luster finish rather than high-gloss, and attraction to airguns, and pistols.

P2 Matchdot.JPG
Faux Coco Bolo (laminated wood) grips.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1