• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pistol FT scope question

Such as this ... I'm 6' and @ 210#
Same pistol a few years previous using a SHORT eye relief Optisan Connect in manor your speaking.
While it too can be pretty stable, its got nothing on Knee/ Lapp stable :rolleyes:

View attachment 364290
Is there a rule in Hunter PFT that requires me to sit? I would rather shoot as I hunt, standing with a bipod. I am currently limited to a tripod because I had an ICD implant and cannot extend my arm to hold a bipod but intend to shift back to bipod when I am allowed full use of my arm.

Good Q ... Hunter rules state Bucket or Seat and unattached bipod.
Honestly never thought about standing and not sure.

Have you READ the AAFTA rule book on Pistol ?

I just read threw them and nothing said about standing using unattached shooting sticks ( Hunter class )
Text or reach out to an AAFTA BOG member and make the inquire one on one. ;)

Last edited:
i have and ICD implanted in my right shoulder and cannot rest a rifle butt against the device because it will chafe the wires.

I shoot pistol left handed and rifle right handed.

I just shot a rifle FT match using my 1701P resting it on a tripod as my right arm is currently restricted in motion. When I have hunted with my Contender G1 pistol, I stand and use a bipod and when I have unrestricted use of my arm, I would like to do the same in PFT.
Good Q ... Hunter rules state Bucket or Seat and unattached bipod.
Honestly never thought about standing and not sure.

Have you READ the AAFTA rule book on Pistol ?
Yes, front to back and nothing says I MUST sit on a bucket or seat.

I hunted standing using a bipod. I see nothing in the AAFTA rules that states that I cannot shoot standing with a bipod.

Is there a rule in Hunter PFT that requires me to sit? I would rather shoot as I hunt, standing with a bipod. I am currently limited to a tripod because I had an ICD implant and cannot extend my arm to hold a bipod but intend to shift back to bipod when I am allowed full use of my arm.

14. Any shooting position is allowed so long as the pistol is fully supported by the competitor….

B. Hunter Class: …Monopods, shooting sticks, or bipods may be used,…

So you can stand and you may use shooting sticks in all free position lanes.

Reactions: Motorhead

14. Any shooting position is allowed so long as the pistol is fully supported by the competitor….

B. Hunter Class: …Monopods, shooting sticks, or bipods may be used,…

So you can stand and you may use shooting sticks in all free position lanes.
i agree! I have submitted my question to the AAFTA BOG and will post their response!

i agree! I have submitted my question to the AAFTA BOG and will post their response!
Troy,
After a quick discussion, the BoG agrees that you can shoot standing with a bipod on all non-forced position lanes and follow all other Hunter Pistol rules. On forced position lanes (offhand or kneeling), you must stand or kneel without support per the rules.
Thanks for the question,
Jeff Cloud
AAFTA Treasurer and BoG Member

1687837545860.png

Have you tried this scope for pft. I got a pp700 being built by Brian at Veridium and am needing a scope for it.

Thanks

I have not used that scope at all, let alone for PFT.
Hawke has a fine product line and a great reputation for quality and service.
I am sure is would be a good choice.
I have had experience with them and can attest to that after shooting with Hawke scopes for years.

On paper I would think that the UTG scope I recommended on the first page of this post may be a more appropriate scope considering that it has a 44mm objective, which will allow more light in when shooting dark targets.
Something to consider.
I would think that all other features would be quite comparable except for the much higher price of the Hawke. Again, something to consider.

UTG also has a great reputation for quality and service.
I'm quite the value shopper and would lean towards the UTG if it were my money being spent.
I have that UTG on my Championship and match winning pistol.
Just my opinion, however, from years of shooting PFT.

Best regards,
Paul in N.TX
Pablo

I have not used that scope at all, let alone for PFT.
Hawke has a fine product line and a great reputation for quality and service.
I am sure is would be a good choice.
I have had experience with them and can attest to that after shooting with Hawke scopes for years.

On paper I would think that the UTG scope I recommended on the first page of this post may be a more appropriate scope considering that it has a 44mm objective, which will allow more light in when shooting dark targets.
Something to consider.
I would think that all other features would be quite comparable except for the much higher price of the Hawke. Again, something to consider.

UTG also has a great reputation for quality and service.
I'm quite the value shopper and would lean towards the UTG if it were my money being spent.
I have that UTG on my Championship and match winning pistol.
Just my opinion, however, from years of shooting PFT.

Best regards,
Paul in N.TX
Pablo
Well I learned a long time ago to listen to experience so I will look at that scope for sure.

Thanks
Jon