• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Pistol FT scope question

HUNTER class YOU CAN NOT touch turrets during a match. Thus using Hold Over points of reticle.

LIMITED class ALLOWS turret adjusting during a match. Thus always on X of reticle
* tho one can choose to use holdover in limited.
thank you for the rule clarification. I guess I only read one section. I swear I think my brain has fell out. That's the second thing this week I have not read correctly.

Reactions: Motorhead
Old S,

Since AAFTA Pistol is shot to only 35 yards, if your zero is well-thought, hold-over/under is minimal. With a 35 yard zero my 775 FPS rig has no more than .48" hold-over/under at all PFT distances; largely due to my (very) low scope mounting. I don't even use a multi-aim-point reticle. Be aware the higher your scope, the steeper your trajectory.

BTW, if it's any consolation, I don't know anyone growing younger.

Old S,

Since AAFTA Pistol is shot to only 35 yards, if your zero is well-thought, hold-over/under is minimal. With a 35 yard zero my 775 FPS rig has no more than .48" hold-over/under at all PFT distances; largely due to my (very) low scope mounting. I don't even use a multi-aim-point reticle. Be aware the higher your scope, the steeper your trajectory.

BTW, if it's any consolation, I don't know anyone growing younger.
Now if I can find the right scope for my 1720 - I’ll be all set.

I would to shoot an actual pft course someday. I am going to shoot a rifle course with it but on 16x and close to 20fpe. Just no interest in it around here or maybe there is and just don't know. I am just happy that OKC puts on a monthly rifle match that's only an hour from my house. If I could get them to do a match for pft one day and a rifle another I'd be set! But I will show up with my pistol and give it hell and smile the whole time! I am going to build my own pft course in my pasture besides my house and learn to shoot it in this great windy state. As long as I can keep the cattle from destroying my targets or worse💩on them. Lol

Thanks
Jon

I would to shoot an actual pft course someday. I am going to shoot a rifle course with it but on 16x and close to 20fpe. Just no interest in it around here or maybe there is and just don't know. I am just happy that OKC puts on a monthly rifle match that's only an hour from my house. If I could get them to do a match for pft one day and a rifle another I'd be set! But I will show up with my pistol and give it hell and smile the whole time! I am going to build my own pft course in my pasture besides my house and learn to shoot it in this great windy state. As long as I can keep the cattle from destroying my targets or worse💩on them. Lol

Thanks
Jon
If you just showed up with your pistol & shot it .. others would take notice and perhaps join you at a future match :unsure:
Sadly just "Talking" about it most will just shake their head and say TOO HARD , So ... show em it can be done !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you just showed up with your pistol & shot it .. others would take notice and perhaps join you at a future match :unsure:
Sadly just "Talking" about it most will just shake their head and say TOO HARD , So ... show em it can be done !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh it's happening next month. This match this month(saturday) will be the tx. I haven't got the pistol in possession yet and need to get my scope mounted and get the scope wheel from JD in and get yardages.

Thanks
Jon

Oh it's happening next month. This match this month(saturday) will be the tx. I haven't got the pistol in possession yet and need to get my scope mounted and get the scope wheel from JD in and get yardages.

Thanks
Jon
You got your work cut out to make it & proof it .... As one who has Shot pistol FT now for many years ... STABILITY is paramount !! Pending your body build and if able ? .. get scope full forward, place pistol grip on a knee and bipod along side the other knee ... Lapp Benchrest 😍

109319534_157324345869577_6426374910945919930_o.jpg

You got your work cut out to make it & proof it .... As one who has Shot pistol FT now for many years ... STABILITY is paramount !! Pending your body build and if able ? .. get scope full forward, place pistol grip on a knee and bipod along side the other knee ... Lapp Benchrest 😍

View attachment 364277
Well I'm gonna try really hard and I'm gonna enjoy every minute but I do have what they call anterior weight forward posture. I'm 6 foot three and 285 so we will see. Lol
I've hunted for years with pistols with Pistol scopes and quite a few rifle scopes on my xp100s and have always shot off my butt with both arms propped up or wrists/forearms propped on my knees with the rifle scope on them cause of the close eye relief. Except this time I don't have to worry about scope eye.

Jon

Well I'm gonna try really hard and I'm gonna enjoy every minute but I do have what they call anterior weight forward posture. I'm 6 foot three and 285 so we will see. Lol
I've hunted for years with pistols with Pistol scopes and quite a few rifle scopes on my xp100s and have always shot off my butt with both arms propped up or wrists/forearms propped on my knees with the rifle scope on them cause of the close eye relief. Except this time I don't have to worry about scope eye.

Jon
Such as this ... I'm 6' and @ 210#
Same pistol a few years previous using a SHORT eye relief Optisan Connect in manor your speaking.
While it too can be pretty stable, its got nothing on Knee/ Lapp stable :rolleyes:

ScottPistol.jpg

Reactions: drsquall
For anybody considering PFT and needing a recommendation on a useful scope option, there is the UTG 12X scope.

I have been shooting PFT for a long time, have won a match or two, and have had a few scopes on top of my equipment over the years.

The UTG scope is a good choice, certainly one to consider.
I have it on a pistol now.
The glass is clear.
Etched glass reticle.
Reticle fine enough for precision work but not too fine that it obscures the KZ.
Side Focus-Ranging on my examples have been plenty consistent enough in all conditions.
Lifetime Warrantee & good customer service.

Just a good overall value and a very adequate tool for the job.

Best regards,
Paul in N.TX

View attachment 364277
Thanks for the picture

Reactions: Motorhead

View attachment 364277
1687311891278.jpeg
1687311891278.jpeg

Is this illegal with my front arm going back to my rear arm and touching the pistol with the forearm?

Reactions: cavedweller
Seated i'm pretty sure your fine ... in off hand you can't body check or support by body contact outside eye cup & hands.
I wanted to check to make sure. I was practicing yesterday and needed to check. Yeah the offhand I did the old taco hold hold from my earlier years in silhouette with the contender. Thanks for the clarification.

Jon