Pistol Carbine fad

Fad or not I love it!
90% of my shots are under 60 yards.
My needs in an air gun are Quite and accurate out to 60, and low over penetration is also a plus. Birds and squirrels are my targets, so 177 and 22 pellets work great. I tried the slug fad but see no benefit for the cost in gun and ammo I’ll just use 22LR. With can. For woods and farms Uragan compact and leshiy 2 are perfect for me. I have sold or am still selling all my long rifles 39” plus. I still have the red wolf in the safe but it never gets used.

0A558A56-9E9B-4332-B0E5-F4E953154AF2.jpeg

Yeah it is front heavy, especially when you take the butt stock off. But a foregrip attached makes for a well balanced two hand hold. Set up that way it makes for the best off hand plinker in my collection.

Nice looking hybrid with the walnut stock you've got there!
I never thought of putting a fore grip on the np03 like you did. That would surely help!

Fad or not I love it!
90% of my shots are under 60 yards.
My needs in an air gun are Quite and accurate out to 60, and low over penetration is also a plus. Birds and squirrels are my targets, so 177 and 22 pellets work great. I tried the slug fad but see no benefit for the cost in gun and ammo I’ll just use 22LR. With can. For woods and farms Uragan compact and leshiy 2 are perfect for me. I have sold or am still selling all my long rifles 39” plus. I still have the red wolf in the safe but it never gets used.

View attachment 341403
I'm the same. I tried slugs and finally found one my 25 jumbo will shoot good. That gun is right at 39" with the koi on it and 16" barrel. Balances great and it gives me nickel sized groups at 75 yards with baracudas and hades to the same POI. The NSA 33.6 do great too, haven't stretched them past 50 yet.
60 shots at 50-52 fpe is more than enough.
20221225_164704.jpg

My BSA scorpion SE is just over 41" with a tanto on it. It's so light and well balanced, I just need to open it up and get more power. It's a 12 fpe model and I'm going for mid 20s for a better trajectory.

Last edited:
I don't own a pistol carbine, but I do own a gun that fills the same niche: a Taipan Veteran Short. (OAL of 24 inches if left in OEM form). And, having owned that gun since around 2018 and it being my most widely utilized, I completely understand the allure of a short and compact airgun of modest power level and exceptional accuracy.

OP also mentioned compact scopes going on these compact guns. I tend to go the other way, opting for more glass. My little Vet has a 6-24x50 scope on it and I have no plans to change that. This allows me to get more use out of the gun than only pesting and plinking, and that specific use for the greater magnification/bigger scope is field target.

Many guys are trying to turn airguns into firearms on the other spectrum, but lots to love in a <20fpe short little sub 30inch gun. Compact and low power is where I personally find the most airgun joy.

4 of my 5 PCPs are under 30 inches long and they are the ones that get shot. My Avenger has been neglected for months. The Prod has been around a long time and is still popular - for good reason. Hard to see it as a fad. I have one and also 3 P35s, one in each caliber. Two are tuned to 32 fpe which is plenty for me. I can see a place for high energy slug shooters for really long range shots but that is not what I take. I don't know if I would call them a fad either. I think they have their place, just not for me. If I wanted to hunt ground squirrels, for instance, they'd probably work better than my little bullpups.

...I have RTI priests; relatively short bull-pup rifles. Having a normal length barrel, they combine the advantages of rifles with the shorter length of a carbine...
Do they cover the chiropractic visits for the neck problems from shooting a bullpup? 🤣
JK, I have a pup also. Just need to have the scope 12 feet above the bore to not need cervical disk surgery!

Reactions: robbos
Do they cover the chiropractic visits for the neck problems from shooting a bullpup? 🤣
JK, I have a pup also. Just need to have the scope 12 feet above the bore to not need cervical disk surgery!
I see (and feel) your point...lol...other than that, they shoot very well and precise...

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
The pistol i am looking to get, do come with something you could call a attachable butt stock, but i dont think i will ever use it CUZ then it be just as easy to grab my Vulcan 3 with the 530 mm barrel that ill reach a whole lot further even if i still keep it at apples 2 apples and shoot pellets in both.
And the V3 will also hit a lot harder.

ATM i am done with bullpups, want to get back with conventional rifle, even if that mean that my rifle case will not fit in the boot of my car, and will barely fit on the back seat like my hard case with the FX cyclone inside barely do.

No biggie though if i do a stop on my way shooting it is at my mothers place and i can easy bring the case in there while i go to do a little shopping for her.
CUZ no way in hell will i leave anything of value in my car in plain sight.
Even if my car when parked pretty much also function as a government agency surveillance van, so anyone around or approaching it will be filmed, and soon i also graduate to level 2 where i will get notifications from the cameras in the car sent to my phone and NAS

I've never been a fan of long airguns. Had a Red Wolf and it shot great but 40+ inches, I just wasn't feeling it.

I have a HW44 coming and a Rink shoulder stock in black/grey laminate on order (ugh - they take 9 weeks for production - that's a torturous wait). In the meantime I love my AP16 pistol carbine.

AP-16C - 1.jpeg

Tried out the MTC S.W.A.T. 12X50 scope for weight reduction. This PRod has become my "go to" backyard starling eliminator with maximum 25 yard shots. This scope is actually better at 50 yards+ where the glass is crystal clear edge to edge.
Update: Just had two more longer range starling kills with the S.W.A.T. Both were tree top shots through leafless branches. One was 50 yards and the other 35 yards. This glass is really better at longer ranges.

P-Rod - sized.jpg

PRod.jpg

P-Rod with MTC S.W.A.T (2).jpg

Last edited: