Pistol Carbine fad

Fad? Why so? The fad is those who buy airguns to shoot 200 plus yards… A very small minority. The hype would have you disregard why many come to air guns in the first place. Close range, sub 100 yards shooting, but mostly sub 50 yards hunting, pesting, plinking, etc, shooting opportunities. These conclusions only come about through actual experience. Which is why a newbie buys a pellet gun and is immediately asking about “slug” tunes.🙀 My rocking Atomic XRs are part of the fad…

Fad? Why so? The fad is those who buy airguns to shoot 200 plus yards… A very small minority. The hype would have you disregard why many come to air guns in the first place. Close range, sub 100 yards shooting, but mostly sub 50 yards hunting, pesting, plinking, etc, shooting opportunities. These conclusions only come about through actual experience. Which is why a newbie buys a pellet gun and is immediately asking about “slug” tunes.🙀 My rocking Atomic XRs are part of the fad…

\thread

I humbly submit carbines have historically been on the cutting edge of American weaponry. Their reduced size and weight makes for quicker maneuvering, especially in tight quarters. From those first mounted horse soldiers to the later battlefields of World War two, Korea, and South East Asia. Where ever the tight gut wrenching action was that ole humble carbine of the day was there. :cool: ‘"Nothing is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." ~Winston Churchill (1898)

Last edited:
The appeal of a compact, accurate pesting gun is real. I’ve been into compact designs since I cam back to the airgun world. Even my classic styled rifles I’ve opted for the shorter barrels to keep them more compact. While I do like power, a lot of what I do doesn’t need it. I currently have 1 gun setup for long range. All my others are for under 100yd shooting at fairly moderate power levels. At that point, why carry something big and heavy. There’s no need!

I wouldn't say it's a fad. This has been ongoing with powder burners and airguns.

deliveryService.jpeg

The only limitation with airguns is the volume of the air cylinder and efficiency/shot count. It's all purpose driven. In regards to compact scopes; Compact gun + compact scope = Perfect combination.

I wouldn't say it's a fad. This has been ongoing with powder burners and airguns.

View attachment 338968

The only limitation with airguns is the volume of the air cylinder and efficiency/shot count. It's all purpose driven. In regards to compact scopes; Compact gun + compact scope = Perfect combination.
You probably need a tax stamp to even post that picture

Not too sure it is a fad. I think more of a transition from one type of air gun to another. There is a lot of appeal to a light weight, compact and accurate air gun with enough power to pest easily within say 70 yards and further if you want to.
Compact scopes? Yeah they are nice. I switched from a 5x25x50 to a 4x12x44 on my Maverick compact. Best thing I have done with that gun except setting it up with a sling.

And it’s perfectly ok to admit that you suck with a pistol so you turned it into a dwarf rifle. When I was a kid, most of the neighborhood dudes got 1377’s. Within a month 3/4 of them were wearing plastic stocks and scopes because they couldn’t hit squat. The rest of us wound up with stocks because the pistol was just too big. So we can look at it like this. The manufacturers make us do it because they produce these jumbo pistols and they just aren’t fun. So we turn them into underpowered rifles and enjoy the hell out of them.

I got this last week on the marketplace here and its so much fun!

Yeah I was seeing all these new offerings and did the research. Too underpowered for my tastes. My Kral NP-03 .25 unmodified is kicking out 32 fpe and shoots almost all pellets I've fed it awesome. Loves Predator Polymags. Cheap ebay red/green dot sight and I'm hitting small spinners at 75 yards almost every time. The trigger is fantastic, super light and crisp as well. At least better than most of the lower end stuff I shoot.

Why the hell did this gun get discontinued by Kral? Now that the "pistol carbine craze" is here, I bet these would be selling like hotcakes all over again.

Kral.jpg

I also have my Hatsan Hydra 25 set up as a reflex-sighted lightweight carbine. Not convertible into a pistol though. I think it's great just the way it is.

hydra.jpg

Reactions: smythsg and L.Leon
I bought my HW44 already converted to a Carbine. I have had several pistols, still have a pair of hw45's. There is a guy on the AIRGUN FORUM who makes printed stocks to fit many makes of Pistol and frankly it has turned the HW44 into the gun that I have the most fun with. I have it ready to go with a Diopter set up with the globe sight carefully mounted on the HW
B8B15CE1-99BB-4375-9CA8-540FDA41C7D4.jpeg
63DAA41F-0A2A-4AF7-8F8B-3B9A210AB8C5.jpeg
Silencer and at present I am shooting it with a Red Dot. It takes minutes to change them over. It has to still conform to the pistol max powewr which is 6ftlbs and that is a joke when mounted as a Rifle. Still a great fun Gun. I cant say this on the AGF but it would make a great Barn Gun for clearing Ferals without causing damage. I have recently served a weeks ban for saying just that. Its a No No shooting Game with a pistol never mind the 6ftlbs.

Definitely not a fad imho.

This is the evolution of the air rifle. Carbines are here to stay.

View attachment 341383
Nice collection… and I agree that Carbines and mini carbines are here to stay. They simply perform above their weight and size. Just took two shots with my Atomic XR this morning. One at 25 yards and the other at 33 yards, dead on hits on my 3/4” stickers. Her way of telling me, “let’s go get some starlings”… So away we go…

NP03 is more compact if you remove the moderator and butt stock though
I've had a couple and they all have one thing in common... they're front heavy. Currently have my np03 tube on my mega shorty rifle and it balances great with the walnut thumbhole stock. It also has an 11" barrel to keep the weight to the rear.
Probably my favorite air gun currently.
20230218_075639.jpg