pirateship.com

Recently had a ship dispute with UPS. It was a air rifle shipped from Ohio using Pirate Ship for label. UPS claimed the box was much bigger and they said it weighed 70 pounds heavier than I measured. Spent a lot of time getting someone with a brain and familiar with how to transfer a call at UPS, but after 90 minutes they agreed it was their error. Contacted Pirate Ship and in half an hour they creditted my credit card with the erroneus $102 up charge.
Be advised Pirate Ship does not have ANY phones. All communication is via their chat feature. They are super efficient. The shipping process could not be easier or faster unless your mother did it for you. 😜

I have had a few people have issues shipping airguns theough pirate ship so you are incorrect. It is true that ups has no problem shipping airguns, but the “deal” they have with pirate ship restricts these items. Really want to risk it based on wording? I won’t!
There is no any "special deal" between Pirate Ship and UPS except that they get business volume discounts and pass it on to their customers. If something is damaged, you don't deal with Pirate Ship, you deal directly with UPS. But why don't I just contact Pirate Ship customer support and ask them instead of all these speculations. Stay tuned.

There is no any "special deal" between Pirate Ship and UPS except that they get business volume discounts and pass it on to their customers. If something is damaged, you don't deal with Pirate Ship, you deal directly with UPS. But why don't I just contact Pirate Ship customer support and ask them instead of all these speculations. Stay tuned.
Again untrue. Read the links I posted. information Without proof is useless. I posted my references. You post yours.

Again untrue. Read the links I posted. information Without proof is useless. I posted my references. You post yours.
Here you go, the PROOF :). The link you have posted clearly says "Guns or firearms of any kind & any firearm parts/accessories besides a scope (see the UPS website for additional details)", i.e. they adhere to UPS policies. There is nothing "special" in their policies, they just sell you UPS/USPS labels.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 11.08.48 AM.png

Here you go, the PROOF :). The link you have posted clearly says "Guns or firearms of any kind & any firearm parts/accessories besides a scope (see the UPS website for additional details)", i.e. they adhere to UPS policies. There is nothing "special" in their policies, they just sell you UPS/USPS labels.

View attachment 399604
Interesting. However the policy that was linked clearly states no gun or gun accessories except scopes can be shipped. Thats a written policy. We are dealing with guns here so they sadly would fall under it.

notice the word he uses is "Should" yes UPS is ok with it but the agreement and policy of pirateship states otherwise. They state no guns or firearms or firearms accessories. So airgun parts should be ok since they arent firearm accessories. However shipping airguns through them, with their policy written the way that it is, is a no go. I would hate to see someone have an airgun get lost or damaged and then they point to this policy to get out of liability.

Its an interesting conundrum for sure.

Last edited:

View attachment 399604
Thankyou for clearing that up. Now there’s written proof, I feel better about shipping with them. Interpretation of wording means nothing without proof.

Reactions: uladz
The bullet point (see what I did there?) on pirateship’s site uses an ambiguous phrase “gun or firearm of any kind…”. Taking the word “gun” by itself, it could be construed to include a Nerf gun or a water pistol, or something even more distant like a staple gun or a massage gun or an ESD gun. However they link to UPS for more information:

This page frames everything in terms of firearms and their constituent parts, using the federal definition in “Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53, of the United States Code”. And on this page they explain “UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors”. Considering pirateship doesn’t have a mechanism to verify the contractual status and/or licensure of its customers, it makes sense that they cannot accept firearms on behalf of UPS, and that this restriction applies only to things in the scope of (again, see what I did there?) the UPS policy.

In the event of a damage claim, I think we are all aware the goal for any shipper is to avoid paying it. So I don’t doubt for a second that an unscrupulous adjuster would attempt to use ambiguous wording in service to that goal, but it would clearly be a dishonest ploy and one that would fall apart with a little scrutiny.

The bullet point (see what I did there?) on pirateship’s site uses an ambiguous phrase “gun or firearm of any kind…”. Taking the word “gun” by itself, it could be construed to include a Nerf gun or a water pistol, or something even more distant like a staple gun or a massage gun or an ESD gun. However they link to UPS for more information:

This page frames everything in terms of firearms and their constituent parts, using the federal definition in “Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53, of the United States Code”. And on this page they explain “UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors”. Considering pirateship doesn’t have a mechanism to verify the contractual status and/or licensure of its customers, it makes sense that they cannot accept firearms on behalf of UPS, and that this restriction applies only to things in the scope of (again, see what I did there?) the UPS policy.

In the event of a damage claim, I think we are all aware the goal for any shipper is to avoid paying it. So I don’t doubt for a second that an unscrupulous adjuster would attempt to use ambiguous wording in service to that goal, but it would clearly be a dishonest ploy and one that would fall apart with a little scrutiny.

Fed Ex has no such language iirc. I very much agree that at the value of our precious toys, these companies would fight tooth and nail to deny your claim if possible.

-Matt

Reactions: cavedweller
The insurance they sell with the package appears to be 3rd party and is a big savings over the carriers. I am not sure it matters if UPS or USPS will cover it, if another company is actually providing the insurance.
I've worked in underwriting departments, and we look for ANY possible reason to deny a claim, ANY.

Reactions: rcs9250
Thankyou for clearing that up. Now there’s written proof, I feel better about shipping with them. Interpretation of wording means nothing without proof.
Notice Pirate Shipping said “ should be no problem”. Yeah, that’ll hold up if UPS confiscates it. Every time a person on the phone says should be or I believe so or something similar I say “ So you don’t know for sure I take it”. When I ask a question I want a definitive answer, maybe ain’t an answer.

Notice Pirate Shipping said “ should be no problem”. Yeah, that’ll hold up if UPS confiscates it. Every time a person on the phone says should be or I believe so or something similar I say “ So you don’t know for sure I take it”. When I ask a question I want a definitive answer, maybe ain’t an answer.

Yea that customer service rep is totally going to have the final say in determining your insurance payout if package is damaged or lost. Even if he were more definitive... :whistle:

-Matt

I've been using Pirate Ship for several years and ship Cajun seasonings and food spices all over the world. Sent dozens of Cajun food care packages to soldiers stationed in Afghanistan, the Middle East, Germany, and Asia. Savings were very close to 50% from what the USPS charges. I also give away free taco & fajita seasoning with every order. I believe in giving back and treating people how you wish to be treated.

Trucker is correct. Read the fine print guys! Pirateship has a unique relationship with ups, and this means some exemption's that allow that partnership to happen. Why do you think it’s so cheap?
If you trust the carrier to ship your package in tact, then by all means use pirate ship, but don’t bother using the insurance if you’re shipping ANYTHING gun related (including air rifles), because their insurance will not cover damage or loss. It’s hard to find these exemptions, but dig through the pirate ship site, and you’ll find them.

• Guns or firearms of any kind & any firearm parts/accessories besides a scope (see the UPS website for additional details)
    That rules out most things that most here would ship except scopes. Hope you package it well.

Those rules on the link to UPS looks like they applies to shipping stuff via the UPS website as well. My understanding from just reading them is that the only people who are allowed to ship guns / firearms through UPS are those licensed to sell guns etc. etc. per the rules. It isn't just with PirateShip. Also, there is no mention of airguns. The last time I checked there are no restrictions on shipping airguns via UPS as they are NOT firearms per federal law. What about all the airgun dealers who ship millions of dollars worth of airguns each year by UPS? They certainly are not "licensed" to sell "firearms" in any way since there is no such thing as an airgun license from the feds.

Based on that page, I would now call UPS and ask them before shipping an airgun of high dollar value to make sure it would be covered by the insurance which by the way is not really insurance per my UPS rep. - It is "declared value".

That said, I am guessing tens of thousands of firearms are shipped legally by private individuals each year. That might not be in line with the current UPS policy and they might deny your loss claim, but it isn't illegal as long as you declare that the package contains a firearm, which I do, and they have never refused to take my shipment at the UPS Customer Center. UPS Stores on the other hand will refuse to ship a firearm and if you don't declare it you are breaking federal law.