Piranha Pellet test!

Well I took a chance and picked up a tin of the new Crosman Piranha pellet in .22. Overall the pellet looks like the domed and hollowpoint pellets. The new design on the tip is pretty gnarly looking but in my test today, I didn't get a chance to see how well it expands.

I set up my target at 20 yards. This was the most distance I could shoot since my backyard range is still under water. I set up my indoor/outdoor shooting range from my home theater room and I am using my Daystate Air Wolf for this test. I shot three 10 shot groups. 

I shot the first group and thought things might be promising. I had one flyer, which was the 9th shot. But I didn't think too much of it. Flyers are normal if the pellets are not weighed and sorted. Apart from the flyer, the group measured just under 1/2 inch. With the flyer it measured just over an inch. Things looked promising.

I then shot the second group. Well thing went downhill fast. The group opened up to 1 1/2 inches.

I thought for a moment before shooting the third group. I took of the ldc and proceeded to shoot the last 10 shots. However, the results were the same; about 1 1/2 inches.

I may give these another try sometime later. But for now I do not think these pellets will be a good for anything in the 30 to 50 yard range. 

I hoped this review helped. Also keep in mind this is only the result in MY rifle. Others may have better results. That's what makes this hobby fun. I would love to see if someone else has great results and can show us how well the expand in game.

Keith.

"DuncanHynes"Thanks for giving them an honest try. Do you weight pellets and sort by head size next? And is there a skirt tool?
I do not weigh pellets. I normally just shoot them right from the tin. I have washed and lubed them before, but for me, it didn't make any difference. And no skirt tool either. I don't any type of competition type shooting, so I just shoot the pellets from the tin and try to find the most accurate one.

Keith.

Well I have the results from the five gallon bucket expansion test. This was done with a full five gallon bucket filled with water, shot from my Air Wolf from a height of 8 feet from the muzzle to the water.

You should be able to tell which pellet is the original and which one's were shot. I made three shots. The original (from the tin) pellet had a head size of 5.34. The three shot pellets had head measurements of 5.55, 5.61 and 5.68. Not much expansion. Here are the pics.

Apparently shooting them into Clay does a bit better job of expanding them.....

From this post - http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=89782.20

IMAG2407_zpsbisocahs.jpg

First, thanks for actually testing them. That way I don't feel tempted to spend $10 to do the same. Great review.

While in a hunting round (I mean a powder burner designed for something with serious amounts of meat like deer) I can see using a hollow point for the extra expansion, but in a pellet, why? The hollows I've tried don't really expand, they just sort of mash down into the skirt. A regular domed pellet's shock will kill any small game without the fancy teeth and non-expansion of the Crosman hollows and now these Piranha's work exactly the same way.

Gotta admit, this design looks strictly like a marketing gimmick. The "Teeth" in the Piranha's head can't help aerodynamics, hence the flyers, and the pellet is so hard they don't expand like a hollow point should.

Marketing gimmick is all in my opinion. Yet, they'll probably sell thousands and thousands of tins because they look mean. Sort of like the AR-15 craze. It looks mean, therefore, it must be evil. Then people will wonder why their accuracy goes down the drain.

Frankly, I think Crosman laid an egg for accuracy and any other benefits on this one. I't strictly a gimmick, nothing more.

Of course, that's my opinion - Everyone else gets to have their own.