Pigeon Shooting

Paul,

I recently got a scope cam — and the slo-mo footage (filmed at 240fps) showed some humbling not-so-great shot placement on my part. 😟 Even lots of feathers flying sometimes isn't an indication that I made a good hit....

And yes, pigeons are really tough. I recently recorded one lung shot, and the bastard rose up high and went flying for over 50 yards(!) before he expired!

Matthias

I find if you only shoot with them facing you and center your shot in the neck chest junction you will drop them. Side facing shots neck or head only. They are tuff . I found 177 even at close range I had a lot of birds that took a couple of shots to kill. Trying to avoid barn roof damage and still make clean kills a real challenge for me . I’ve taken to not shooting accept on the concrete silos outside. 

For ALL pesting, under 50 yards, my Go To pellet is the .25 cal Predator Polymags ... A well placed shot => Instant Lights Out !

I don't pest beyond 50 yards ... But, for target-practice sessions, the JSB Heavies have been very accurate out to 100 yards.

If you're into slugs - the 55 grain Neilson Slugs performs as good as the JSB Heavies.

I'm using an LCS SK-19:

* JSB Heavies @ 880 - 890.

* Predator Polymags @ 880 - 890.

* 55 gr Neilson Slugs @ 840 - 850.

Anything accurate. Expansion won't matter much imho. Hit a bird like that with a pebble going 600 fps in 25 at close range and it's going down with a well placed shot. Emphasis on well placed, more so than anything else.

Also, if you're having problems with hitting vitals check your zero, and verify ammo placement @zero impact vs impact @ actual ranges, think about a better scope and practicing more. No offense, just want to be helpful. 

I'd probably shoot em with slugs because of better bc beyond 50 yards if they are not dropping.

If you can get a scope camera setup and review your own shots you can learn a lot imho. It makes it easier for me to learn from mistakes vs when an animal moves slightly after I pulled the trigger, which might be happening.