Pig hunt with a .25

86FE657E-C729-4CE6-8ABE-F611D14F98FE.1603242887.jpeg
841fdcf5-f80e-434f-bdff-7abefc0c56dd

I’m going on a hog hunt in December as well. I’m really excited. I have done some searching and found that the best shot is just below and behind the ear or just above the eyes in the middle of the head. I will probably limit my hog size to under 200lbs. But there are videos all on the YouTube of guys doing it. I’m also only going max range of 30 yards. By the way how you like that streamline in .25? I’m thinking about picking one up. I also have a impact mk2 in .25 on order already. 

I do not mean to be confrontational but this shot placement is a bad idea with a 25 Caliber your not going to impact the spinal cord with enough force to break the neck 

Your best shot placement with a .25 is between the Eye and Ear or if the pig is eating and you have a none angle shot right between the eyes 

Pig Headshot.1603325350.jpg

What you need to realize is that not all feral pigs are the same shape, They have crossbred with domestics and many of the feral pigs are not the Razorback German breeds that you recognize the spine is not shaped the same and so your shot May or Maynot be right The Jowls have the most fat in them and this is what you will be trying to shoot through to get to the spine

The shot between the Eye and Ear is the only one that will be consistent no matter the breed of the Pig and I would advice shooting no more than about a 100 pounder unless you want to go with a higher caliber 

I have shot 27 hogs with a .257, shooting 80gr hollow points or my .308, shooting 150 gr slugs. Recovered all but 6. Of the 6, 2 ricocheted off their noggin. The rest were taken with heart and neck shots. I'm shooting from 75 to 128 yards from a elevated blind. The heart provides twice the kill zone as a brain shot and you don't have to deal with a ricochet. I aim to hit right beside and above the elbow and have had great success and easy recoveries when I hit the mark. Stick with shooting hogs that match up with the FPE of your gun. There is no reason to shoot a 150 pounder with a 65 fpe gun.

Aloha,

I hunt pigs with my Charlie Frear PT cricket .25 it’s shooting 970 FPS, 34 gr jsb and about 3 months ago I was slammed on this forum for using a .25 I have several video’s on YouTube. All I have to say is that shot placement is the key to bringing down the pigs, the neigh sayers bashed me saying that it was inhumane, all I can say is that those pigs sure were tasty. 
Aloha, 

Keone

Aloha,

I hunt pigs with my Charlie Frear PT cricket .25 it’s shooting 970 FPS, 34 gr jsb and about 3 months ago I was slammed on this forum for using a .25 I have several video’s on YouTube. All I have to say is that shot placement is the key to bringing down the pigs, the neigh sayers bashed me saying that it was inhumane, all I can say is that those pigs sure were tasty. 
Aloha, 

Keone

I've got the same rifle and Charlie tune. Nice to know it's so capable!