• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pickle for my now “old” MCT

Hello all,

I have an Airwolf MCT in .22cal that has the factory shroud. I like the look of a pickle/LDC on the end but do not want to add weight, as the gun is already absurdly heavy. I need some advice. The Hugget system with its screens and flutes is beautiful but likely out of my budget. Also, I do not want to add much length. Do they make something that slides back over the shroud somewhat?

Please advise.

Tim

Hello all,

I have an Airwolf MCT in .22cal that has the factory shroud. I like the look of a pickle/LDC on the end but do not want to add weight, as the gun is already absurdly heavy. I need some advice. The Hugget system with its screens and flutes is beautiful but likely out of my budget. Also, I do not want to add much length. Do they make something that slides back over the shroud somewhat?

Please advise.

Tim

I am not the best person to answer this question, BUT I did read something in this thread about a moderator that slides partially over a shroud. Sounds sort of like what you mentioned. Can’t speak to the weight aspect. Take a look. It’s in there somewherehttps://www.airgunnation.com/topic/starting-over-from-scratch-what-moderator-would-you-get/page/4/#post-1236792

Check pg. 3 of the above link. Read a post by @Airarcher66 

A moderator that slides over the shroud is called a reflex moderator. The AirStream brand of moderators use to come with Daystate rifles such as the Huntsman series but they stopped including them. They weren't that effective because it was just an empty tube on the last 3 inches of the moderator. No baffles. You can try getting a hold of Neil Clague to have him make you a reflex moderator. I know he makes them but I'm not sure what's his current status is in regards to his health from what I heard and hope he is okay. The only thing though is that it's not a "pickle" shape lol. I believe Huggett is the only company that makes them in that shape. It's worth a try.

A moderator that slides over the shroud is called a reflex moderator. The AirStream brand of moderators use to come with Daystate rifles such as the Huntsman series but they stopped including them. They weren't that effective because it was just an empty tube on the last 3 inches of the moderator. No baffles. You can try getting a hold of Neil Clague to have him make you a reflex moderator. I know he makes them but I'm not sure what's his current status is in regards to his health and hope he is okay. It's worth a try.

Ooohh, yes, a ‘reflex moderator’ is indeed what Im looking for. I don’t need really much audible dampening at all, just desire a certain look that comes with adding a pickle. Perhaps see if anyone here has an old unwanted reflex laying around, if not, then reach out to Neil.

Thanks Peskadot, you’ve been quite helpful.

Hi Hogsnatcher.

I have an Airwolf in .20 (FAC power - 18 / 24ft.lbs) and it had a very heavy metal tank

on it. I have recently replaced it with a carbon tank and it reduced the weight a lot,

especially where uit matters most for the balance of the gun.

It is lighter now, but because the balance point shifted backwards, it actually feels

even lighter than just the weight loss (hope my simple explanation makes sense).

Have you got a metal tank, or a carbon one?

I'm still running the factory shroud and Carbon Silencer by the way.

Hi Hogsnatcher.

I have an Airwolf in .20 (FAC power - 18 / 24ft.lbs) and it had a very heavy metal tank

on it. I have recently replaced it with a carbon tank and it reduced the weight a lot,

It is lighter now, but because the balance point shifted backwards, it actually feels

even lighter than just the weight loss (hope my simple explanation makes sense).

Yes, I still have the heavy 500cc metal tank on the gun and it is a beast. I had no idea that the tanks could be changed out to a CF. I may want to swap it out if its not too cost prohibitive. What CF bottle is most suitable for Airwolf?

Ive been out of the air gun world for over 10 years and have just recently exhumed my interest..wow have things changed. Amazing some of the new guns and what they can do.

The standard 480cc CF bottle that you find on the red wolf, fx guns and evanix among others is a direct swap and we'll worth it, saving over 400g in weight.

Buy a bottle without any sort of additional valve.

Looks better and feels like a red wolf, weight wise. Then you can pick any pickle you like :)

20BEB2B7-CDC5-4FEF-BEDA-2680B742035B.1650401753.jpeg

Hi Hogsnatcher.

Well you all have been very helpful in my effort to ‘update’ my now old AW. I was able to track down a 480cc CF bottle from Talon Tunes that will mate with my AW (M18..1.5 threads)…and it was on sale!! Now I just need to figure out my LDC situation for the end of the shroud, as I’ve never liked the look of a ‘nude’ shroud - ‘in the nude’ it needs a pickle.