• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Picking budget scope for first pcp

Just ordered a nova liberty pcp and looking for a budget scope. Looking to stay under $150 preferably $100. Looking at hawke and discovery and looking for suggestions on those or other budget scopes. Not sure what magnification to go with but thinking something like 3-9. Just using this gun as a plinker and to shoot birds. Also need to know what height rings I need to clear the magazine, smae mag as the gauntlet and maruader. 

Yeah I saw the classified and if I'm going to buy a cheap scope I'm going to buy new. And I watched all of Joe's videos but wanted to hear from people that actually use them and have experience with them and other ideas. The hawke does seem to rated good but my dad wants something with target style turrets so he was liking the discovery more. I was pretty much seeing if anyone had any issues with these or if I should avoid them. 

Slightly out of budget but one I've had good success with is the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 SFP, there is a 3-12x40 as well.

Mils are true at 10x, I use 4x for hunting up close, and dial turrets at 16x for longer range when I don't want to holdover.

Clicks are finger adjustable but capped/""" .1 mil""", none of that moa/mil crap, this is mil/mil like should be,

Side focus as close as 10Y. 

Upgraded glass compared to other brands at this price point. 

The discovery vt-z is very nice for $100, plus it already has a side wheel. Airgunoptics plus is a great place to find discovery scopes.IMO it’s at least as good as any Hawke n the same price range.

If you want to go up in price I’m actually selling a tac vector right now, basically new. Only reason for this is that it’s a little heavy for what I want.

I haven’t tried one myself but I’ve only heard good things about the Athlon talos. I liked the Bushnell ar but didn’t like the crosshairs as there is no windage marks. If you can find one for sale the sightron SIH is the best, I was lucky and found one for only $138 but the best I’ve seen since is around $180.

Well my dad is being very picky and wants a marked/mildot/moa, some kind of marking and not a duplex style reticle so we can holdover. But he also wants target style turrets instead of capped ones. He raised the price to $150 and so far the best one is looking like the vector marksman 4.5-18. Has a nice reticle and target turrets. Optics planet has it for $157 right now but he found a bunch of different models from vector and other than different looking turrets were trying to figure out the difference. He emailed them and we are waiting on a respone for that. 

There was a couple of vortex and athlon scopes in that price range with lifetime warranty. But I figured since the pcp has little/no recoil its not getting banged around and unless the turrets are used like crazy, not gonna happen, theres not anything to go wrong in it. I have a $50 utg on my 30-06 and its holding up fine. Anything we were looki g at I'm sure has way more quality than that utg. Were still looking and researching stuff so havent decided for sure yet but I have brought up the lifetime warranty a few times with him. 

Well my dad informed me today that he ordered the vector marksman 4.5-18x50 so I guess we will see how it goes. Looked good and joe rated it good in his video and beings that its going on an airgun and not a high powered rifle I dont see having to much of an issue. If it had been a powder burner or something stronger I probably would have went for something from vortex as their warranty is good because I have called them about a red dot I have on my magnum revolver that I thought I broke and they said just send it in so I do like that there are companys that stand behind their products.