• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Picking a mold for my aea HP max .357

Well I couldn’t resist and after watching a bunch of “reviews” of this gun on YouTube (which seemed more like sponsored advertisements than objective reviews) I pulled the trigger and bought it. Sometimes those “look how cool this f%^*ing gun is” videos are fun to watch though!

I was told that we were having good results with 120 grain slugs, specifically those from NSA. Someone whose opinion I trust said that really 80 grains is a better weight to aim for.

I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience or perspective on this and might be able to help me pick a mold try at will cast bullets this gun has a chance of shooting well.

I have browsed the options through arsenal, mp molds, noe molds and accurate molds so I have a general sense of what my options are, but am not sure which shape and weight to choose. I see more options in 125-135 grain, but there are also a few in the 80/90/100 grain range albeit with some odd shapes for a few of them that do not look aerodynamic at all…

Any help tracking down a good mold for this gun would be greatly appreciated.

AD3FE546-29B2-43B9-9CC4-CD487A75A6E9.1644633010.jpeg
47616D9B-5DC2-4BF6-9353-0878E112C6DF.1644633010.jpeg
I got the mp molds 96 grain - good weight and fits magazine (under .48” length). They got it to me very quickly. I will share notes on energy and accuracy once I’ve quieted it down a bit and can shoot more

Well the gun has a leak that I couldn’t figure out our although I think I’ve narrowed down possibly to the plastic/delrin surface that the puppet seals against being deformed. There’s also an issue with an O-ring under the adapter for the pressure gauge that keeps popping out into the air pathway. Scheduled to do a video chat to work it out this afternoon. Bin Tac is convinced it will an easy fix based on what I described to him. 

I’m sure you have watched the same YouTube videos I have but one person reported jsb 81 grain showed the best accuracy with the Hp max . I have no new info to offer until I get the leak sorted out. The mp mold 96 grain is .358 cal and showed no signs of tumbling or inconsistency for the couple dozen shots I took with it at ~10m

Without some significant knowledge of twist rate bullet length / shape etc. i would think home cast slugs like these would be a complete crap shoot. I really only expected this mold to work for pretty close range and it would be a miracle if it shot well at 50 yd. Hoping maybe the groove and “skirt” on the back will create drag at the rear and stabilize. I also get the impression from posts here that shorter slugs are easier to stabilize in longer barreled slug shooters so maybe this applies to this gun.

i am speculating because that is all I can do and I am antsy to get things sorted out. Got an order of round ball for it in the mail yesterday. An exchange would take a while as the plant hasn’t been shipping or building during the Chinese New Year celebrations.

I have grown used to waiting when it comes to airguns and supplies.