• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pick My ~OPTIC~ 1st PCP, Bulldog Combo w/CP Scope OR Take $125 & Get Dif Scope?

Hey Guys, Dr Jones here... Im a Old School AirGunner out of Louisville, Kentucky and im New to PCP. Ive Done alot of Research and Ive learned alot but theres still such a endless supply of information out there that sometimes i begin to feel like a lost little kid thats out of his comfort zone so i really need your guys advice on this BIG choice that im about to make......So il tell you guys whats up and get to the question, and then i wana ask ALL of you experienced airgunners to give me your honest opinions about what you think i should choose and why and what you would do if you had to make the choice for your own self. Please give me some help on this. I can really use it cause ive been over and over the PROS and CONS for over a month now and I still can not decide because im very limited in alot of ways so i need to make the best choice. So i will truly Valu ALL honest positive input. Please no negitive remarks, Were all friends here for the same reason, Our love of Airgunning, So please remember that, respect each other and keep all the comments in a positive light.
Very Kindly I Thankyou......
......So anyway, Ive decided to Buy my first Big Bore PCP Rifle and after alot, and i mean ALOT of Research online, thru websites, forums, gun clubs, digi mags, and of course YouTube A-Gun channels A-Z, and for All the many different AND ~personal~ reasons that i would like, need, and want to own a HPA PCP Air Rifle for I have decided that "The Benjamin Bulldog" comes the closest to giving me ALL the things that i want out of the gun at the price range that im limited to be in. So that choice is one that is made. Now i know that some of you Love the Bulldog as Im sure just as many of you Hate the Bulldog. Ive found that there is usually no inbetween when it comes to the Bulldog. People seem to ither love or hate it. One way or the other. (I know i did and do.) When i first caught a peep of the Bulldog I Hated it, and boy I kept on hating it for some many weeks but somewhere along the Line I started to Love it and before i knew it i was IN LOVE :) Ive also had a few people tell me they fell for it the same way as me. However, like i said in the beginning it wasnt like that. I thought it was so Ugly and I hated the thing and most me do ither just flat out hate or flat out love it. Now if you love the BD=Bulldog then great. If you hate the BD thats perfectly fine too. Thats not what i need help making a decision about. So if you hate the BD its ok. Please just put that to the side and Please still try and help me by giving me your thoughts and opinions on if I should get the Bulldog Combo OR just the BD Gun byself and go get the optic, case, & bipod etc... by buying it in seperate individual pieces. NOWWWW... Heres where the Delima comes into play and why im having trouble trying to decide what is best to choose (Dont forget my funds are very limited Due to me already buying my SCBA TANK, FILL STATION, REGULATOR, HANDPUMP & EXTRA oRings and stuff... ***NOTE:I have $825. TOTAL To get my Gun+Optic+Case at the door--- "Those are the 3 items im most concerned about getting. The Rest I can take or leave ither way for now" OK So here it is...Choice #1) For all the money i have to spend which is $825. I Can get The Black Benjamin Bulldog Sportsman Combo Pack from Crosman. Its the same pack that everybody else sales for between $1000-$1200 minus whatever little 10% discounts that they all seem to offer. It comes with *The Gun, *A Soft Case (Which id rather have a hard black case) *BiPod (Which id like to have but could do without), *Sling (Which i will never use), *A "Higher End" CenterPoint Scope with rings, (higher end for CP) w/SunShade, Caps and Lifetime Warrenty on it. At my door with Shipping and Tracking all included for the Total of $825......
......OR......Choice #2) I Could get just *The Benjamin Bulldog Gun by itself for a Total of $650. with shipping and tracking included at my door and have a Total of $175 left over, and not a penny more to find and buy *A Optic (In which id perfer a Reddot "NonScope" with backup iron sights) *A Black Hard Case (Which id perfer over the Soft Brown Benjamin Case) & *A BiPod (If possible cause id like one, BUTTT can do without for now if need be) AND AGAIN...Those 2-3 Items i would have to find and get to my door with no more than $175 in Total (Which is exactly all that ill have left if i just buy the Gun by itself............So Now, Guys PLEASE Try to give me your best Advice, Opinions, and Thoughts on what i should do, or what you would do if it was your choice to make. I really need the Help cause like i said ive been trying to decide this for well over a month now and i need to make up my mind soon. Im afraid if i dont hurry up and get on off of this fence about it that the Discounted Deal that i am able to get it for right now might end soon being that Spring is in the Air now. So Leave Those Comments and Thankyou So Much for Your Time and Listening to Try and Help Me Make My Choice on My 1st BigBore PCP...
... Have a Blessed Day and I will respond to All comments as soon as im able... Thanks Again... ~~~DrJones~~~

Hey Thanks for the comment...I just Finished the Edit to my Post so all that Info and more is in the Original Post now if you want to go take a fast look. But Real Fast Ive got $825 total to the penny to spend on a Gun, Optic, and Case which are ALL a must. I want the gun for a lil bit of everything from Hunting to Targets.

MOD EDIT: this forum does not condone the discussion or use of an airgun for self defense.

The fact you are stating a 825 maximum tells me you are already aware of the AGNATION 25 percent discount through Crosman, and the Free shipping Friday deal as well. That just happens to be the total cost of the Bulldog Sportsman's Pack, which comes with the Gun, bipod, scope, case, a tube of 6 Nosler Extremes, and a box of 25 Nosler Extremes. I have that exact package, which was purchase about 45 days ago. 

​ Let me give you some impressions. Disclaimer, I have only put about 200 rounds through mine (80 rounds Nosler, 120 rounds JSB). I shoot the JSB Exact King 81.02 grain pellets, the Nosler Extreme and I tried Dave's boat tail rounds in it as well. The Diablo and the Nosler rounds shot well, the dave's, not so much. The Daves were a 4 inch group at 50 yards. The gun would best be described as 5 accurate shots, before the pressure drop starts significantly changing the point of impact. For things such as deer hunting, this is more than adequate (I have never fired more than twice while out deer hunting in my life). This is not a plinking rifle, with it's 330CC air tube, which must be refilled every 5 shots. (I do my shooting at 50 and 100 yards, at shorter distances the point of impact shifts much less and you may get more shots). I get about 5 fills off a 88 Cubic Inch SCBA tank, before my tank drops to 3000 PSI. These kinds of numbers are very common for Big Bore air rifles. With the one I have (all air rifles can be a bit different), it can hit a 4 inch (deer heart-sized) target at a 100 yards consistently (Nosler Extreme). At closer distances, my highly modified 25 caliber Marauder is more accurate. Depending upon the distance, I would describe the Bulldog as a 2 to 4 MOA rifle, with the better figure at 50 yards, the worse figure at 100 yards. I am still in pursuit of a better round. For aftermarket products, Lakerat has a website he is building under the name "pitbull" which he sells 3d printed "lead dust collectors" and single shot trays for the Bulldog. He is planning to market a larger air tube, which will work with a regulator to give a larger amount of repeatable shots. The groups shot by Lakerat are smaller with his modified Bulldog. My FPE figures are very close to the published values of 160 FPE for the JSB 81.02 grain pellets, and 200 FPE for the Nosler 145 grain rounds. The Bulldog in my hands is currently unmodified (which is very unusual for any airgun I own), but I do have a Lead Dust Collector on hand, as well as a single shot tray on hand, but not installed. I have slipped on a "Hogue Handall" model 17000 rubber sleeve over the grip, to help me with hand placement and grip. With the Hogue, my trigger finger lands perfectly on the trigger without looking. 

​ This will be my deer rifle when the season opens. It may also be used for coyote as well (although the 25 caliber Marauder would work perfectly well for Coyote). In my home state of Arizona, they break down the caliber requirements for air rifles in the following fashion. Small critters and birds any caliber may be used. Predators such as bobcat and coyote, 22 (or larger) Caliber is required. For Big Game such as Deer and Javelina the air rifle shall be PCP and 35 caliber or larger. The reason why I mention this is some states have an even larger caliber requirement for PCP rifles used to hunt big game; check with your state regulations before purchasing. Best of luck with your decisions.
...Addertooth

​ When taken to the range, it garners a lot of attention, not a good gun to get if you are painfully shy. It has a "Starship Trooper's" vibe which catches people's eye. 
ed3f333370d9d5c9d8f537f77ed1b232.jpg

Reactions: DrHerbJones
DR Jones, You might put a (WTB add in the Classifieds) for that price point. I have owned the Bulldog and killed a few pigs with it. Its a decent gun but does depend on what you plan on doing with it. 
I would build from a gun and add my own stuff to it.
The first thing I would drop is the bipod its not needed unless all your doing is shooting from a table. The gun is so short the pods get in the way during hunting that's a savings that you can put towards your glass. That being said Focus on your gun and glass and find a cheap aftermarket case.
You will need High Rise mounts for your glass. There are plenty of mid range low priced glass on the market that will work fine for hunting at the ranges that the bull dog excels at. The Factory loads (Nosslers) are your best hunting rounds to get started with at least.

Hey Doc. I have a career 50 dragon slayer and loved shooting it till it starting losing air. But I did a quick search in your price range and you are limited to only a few guns. The evanix rex in .357 and .45 is $699.99. Gun only. Jim Chapman does a quick review of this gun on video I think and loved it. Then there is only one other brand you can look at. (New of course) Which is sam yang. They have the recluse in .357 and .45 for $649 i think and the recluse in in .357 with the 500cc air storage for $699.99. And the last was the sam yang dragon claw in .50 cal for 699.99 I know people who had the .45 sam yang and loved it. Plus they were easy to mod for more power. I would also take the other guys advice and spend the money on the scope. You will regret going to cheap especially with the bigger bores. And wait for a sale at dicks or local store for a case. Just my opinion. Good luck what ever you do and keep us informed. P.S. Have you ever thought of just going for .25 cal. Lots of options. Very hard hitting.

Hey, Thanks for All the Replys and Good info. & Suggestions. However I must Apologize as ive seemed to not come across very clearly just what exactly it is that im asking and need Help making a Choice about. So......If you guys dont mind id like to restate my question and me a little more head on about what it is that im asking. Again I am sorry for the misunderstandings... OK HERE...Let Me Try Again and just start by saying first and foremost that Im getting the Benjamin Bulldog. Theres no ifs, ands, buts, or anythings else about that. Ive had my mind made up to buy the Bulldog for quiet sometime. Thats not going to change. Its the Gun i want, Its the Gun im going to get. I wont even waste time thinkn about another gun. NOW...With that being said flat out and plain as day Here is my Delima. This is the Choice that i need help making right away ASAP And il Ask and State it different this time as to try and be more clear as to what im asking, OK......***For the $175 i have to spend on the optic and case, Should I get the Combo Pack That comes with one of the better Centerpoint Scopes and rings with Life Warrenty and the Soft Case that comes included? ...OR... Could I get a better Scope and Case for the $175 (((Keep in mind id perfer a Reddot "Screen Type/Not Scope Type" & a Hard Case))) See its a pretty decent Centerpoint, its one of their better ones, Reg Price like $200 but you can Find it For like $110 most times and the Soft Case is just a Normal $40-50 case...See Im Worried that if i dont get the Combo pack and just keep the $175 to find my own Optic and Case that i wont be able to find some that are just as good or better for the same price and thats ALL il be able to spend total... So Now I Hope You Guys UnderStand a Little Better what it is that im Asking. Sorry for Any Confusion. I Tend to Ramble and Carry things out too much when i write and it can get confusing i know. You Guys Are Awesome for taking the time to try and help me get together on this and I really Thank Yal so much. REALLY. means alot to get good advice. So il be happy to hear what you guys think again now... Is The Centerpoint & Case worth the $175 OR Could I Get a Better Optic and Case for that amount of money???.... Yal Have A Blessed Evening. Talk with yal soon #KyAirgunners #AirgunnerForLife #LovePeaceAndPellets

Well Guys, I MADE UP MY MIND!!! My Bulldog Combo Pack is on its way to my door!!! ;) After much deep thought and many hours of Web Surfing and Site Shopping and Last But Not Least, After All Your Guys Great Replys and Suggestions I FINALLY decided to Get The Blk B. Bulldog Combo From Crosman and by Ordering on Free Shipping Friday and by using the code AEACFANS to get 25% Off my Total Order, I have it on the way to my door for Only $824.99 Ttl. Which is really a dang good deal considering every place else i found was selling it between $1,099-$1,399 before S&H. Even with a 10% discount like you can get from most places as a New Customer, It would still end up coming to well over the $824.99 that I paid so its the Best way to go right as of now. Now im sure prices will be changing soon as spring rolls in thick and New Guns get released but who knows. From what ive heard the Bulldog has stayed pretty consistant "PriceWise" since it reappeared so i feel i made a sound choice/investment......What made me finally make up my mind completely was that when i started looking around places for the CP Scope the Lowest price i was able to find it for was $176.99 and that is without S&H AND...Without Rings. Yes, Most Places Do NOT Include Rings w/Scopes i have come to find. So, The $175 extra to get the Combo pack which included the CP Scope and Rings and a Bunch of other stuff too like the Case, BiPod, Sling, etc.etc. I felt was The Only way to go for me personally. Once i really started looking around and could NOT find that CP Scope alone for less than the price id end up paying to add on the whole Sportsman Combo Pack it really became a No Brainer. So I Ordered and Im Waiting Happily... Thankyou ALL So Much for Taking the time to Listen and Reply to Help me. You Guys are Really Cool!!! I Hope this Thread Helps Anyone who is Considering Buying A Benjamin Bulldog and If anyone has any thing they wana add to this thread to Help with someone else Please Do Comment. Speaking for All of us that are New to PCP, We need All the Help we can get!!! Thanks Again and Have a Blessed Day everyone.........
~~~DrJones~~~

Hey @SpySir Cool, Thanks and very good to know. I wont be using the CP Scope on The Bulldog tho. I plan on saving it for my next PCP which im already drooling over...The Bushbuck .45 ;) Oh yea Baby. Watch the YT Vid of The Bushbuck hitn Ballistics Gel at semi-long range. OMG!!! POWER BABY!!! Naw i dont really plan on aiming out past 30-50 yards with the Bulldog. 75yd Absolute max and im kind of Ol' School forreal. I perfer having a good set of ol' IronSights for that short range really. Its much more of a challenge. More personal. Plus i find that with a tad getting use to you can be just as much on point as with any scope with alot less hassle and faster draw. So for the Bulldog i plan on getn a decent yet cheap lil red dot optic (The Kind with the Lil Screen looking piece, not the tube/scope type "forgive me not knowing correct term") and then getn some good lil inexpensive flip up, -backup- Iron Sights -not sure if il offset them @45 yet or not- and then il be good to go with The Bulldog sights...But glad you mentioned the risers as il prolly still need them with the Red Dot. Oh....I May OR May Not add a Red Laser and HP Flashlight later down the Road if i find a deal on them. Other than that im All set tho except i do wana toss aside the BiPod for another gun down the road also and i wana put a grip handle with storage on the bottom rail to store a couple extra mags. Later down the line -No Rush- I will get a hard case for it and then il ither try to make a Tank Bag out of the softcase if it will work or il just put it on eBay for 20bucks. That about covers everything now tho I THINK...Now my main focus is finding the perfect Lead Boys to Send down range. Any Serving Size Suggestions guys???

DrHerbJones,
​I am still trying to figure out the ideal slug. For now, the JSB Exact 80 grain and the Nosler Extreme 145 grain are the best I have tried. As for a grip on the bottom rail, be careful. The upper rail is metal, but the lower rail is plastic. The lower rail is really meant for low stress goodies, like a bipod, laser or a flashlight. I haven't determined if the lower rail keeps a good alignment with the bore, so a laser may not be a good thing on the lower rail. I realize you said your intent is closer shooting, but even at 75 yards, a red dot is not ideal, as most are 4 MOA products (3 inch accuracy at 75 yards). The Hunter's pack 56mm Center point scope is so-so, but is more than accurate for the gun. I do not believe in throwing on a high dollar scope on a 2 to 4 MOA rifle, so factory center point is a good fit. I have mixed emotions about the bipod; it will likely get removed when hunting. It is nice to have in place at the range (although accuracy might be better if I were shooting off a bag instead). The soft case which comes with the combo is a bit of a "sack", meaning the gun moves around in it when transporting. I may end up sewing some Velcro straps inside to stabilize the position of the Bulldog when transporting. A solid case would be nice, but finding one which accommodates the handle to scope height will take a bit of searching. Best of luck, hope you enjoy your Bullldog!