Phantom Rabbit

I took the Taipan compact out in the bog Deathgrip this evening, and quickly lined up on the rabbit on the edge of the cornfield. 30 yards, off the tripod kneeling, dead to rights, right in the off switch. I watched it thrashing about through the scope, then went over to find the body…. …. And I didn’t. Just nothing there, not even some blood. It either managed to thrash itself into the cornfield, or the cigar that I am smoking has a little something extra in it, and I hallucinated the whole thing.

I went around to the other side of the house, and saw something dark along the driveway. Lined up again, kneeling and sure enough it was a rabbit. This one was not a phantom.
IMG_0155.jpeg

Ehh, one out of two isn’t too bad, when talking about my grasp on reality.

-pg

I dont have a absolute answer but perhaps you struck it a glancing blow to the head?
I shot a big mule deer buck one time and it went down instantly. The shot was just under 200 yards so not a difficult one, right?
As I sat on the rim rock looking at him, I noticed his ears were not drooping. My brother told me to shoot him again. About the time I lined upp the shot the buck wobbled to his feet. I anchored him right there.
While I was dressing the deer my brother found a chunk of antler that had been shot off the buck. Don’t ask where I was aiming or how I missed by so far.
At any rate a glancing blow to the head may have had the same affect?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1