Pet peeve about trigger talk...

Is it just me?

When someone mentions an adjustable trigger, I find the info useless unless details of what is adjustable is included.

If trigger pull weight is adjustable, without the upper and lower limits of adjustment being listed it is useless info.

In a two stage trigger if the total pull weight can be adjusted between the stages that info is again useless to me without the weight ranges per stage being listed.

So, seriously, is it just me?

There are very few, very few, true two stage triggers available, and fewer yet that have independently adjustable stages. The only one I currently own that qualifies is a 5018 Anschutz. There are indeed some very good triggers out there, and some of the fake two-stage triggers can be adjusted to feel very good, although they don't achieve the safety and adjustability of a "true" two-stage trigger. 

But you are correct, the general term of "adjustable trigger" is widely used, and has little relevance without testing. And lots of interesting things pop up. For instance, most of the Daystate rifles with adjustable triggers, include a second stage weight adjustment that is actually a sear engagement adjustment. It will, indeed affect the release weight a bit, but not by changing the spring tension....odd. 

Picky.

Folks like me that do "not" have pull gauges, just adjust the trigger until it "feels" good. Not too light, not too heavy, for both the first and second stage.

Then on some guns, there is the let-off shelf. There is NO way of measuring that..! It's another feel thing. How much movement there is from the beginning of pull to the release point.

Mike

P.s. - who really cares what the "number is" ? it really has no bearing on what your hand/finger feel. Unless maybe you are writing the information on paper for some reason.

Picky.

Folks like me that do "not" have pull gauges, just adjust the trigger until it "feels" good. Not too light, not too heavy, for both the first and second stage.

Then on some guns, there is the let-off shelf. There is NO way of measuring that..! It's another feel thing. How much movement there is from the beginning of pull to the release point.

Mike

P.s. - who really cares what the "number is" ? it really has no bearing on what your hand/finger feel. Unless maybe you are writing the information on paper for some reason.

I assume you are referring to the first stage stop in a two-stage trigger. It is indeed tricky to measure and, as you perfectly state, really no need, as it all gets down to individual feel and trigger control. One feature of a good, two-stage trigger, is the ability to absorb a certain amount of the let off pressure in the first stage. This is especially helpful if working with a minimum trigger pull requirement, as in service rifle or silhouette competition. If you have a minimum trigger pull rule of two pounds, and can set your first stage stop at one pound or, if you have good feel, maybe 1.5 pounds, then you have a much more manageable squeeze to release the shot. But one thing seldom mentioned in trigger description, is whether it is adjustable for sear engagement, which is essential in a good trigger. 

FX triggers are odd pieces of work. I put the Boss "match" trigger in my Royale, and it feels pretty good. At least it gets away from the weird ball-and-spring weight application, and uses an interim lever to gain some more traditional geometry. By changing springs, one could achieve a wider range of let off weights than is feasible with the standard trigger. The 2-stage trigger on my HW100, and the fake 2-stage on the Veteran are both very good triggers on modestly priced rifles. Both adjust for weight and sear engagement (Weihrauch hides theirs, but it's accessible under the trigger blade).

Picky.

Mike

exactly........

a number dont mean a thing to me. i just get it to where it makes me happy!

I get what some of you are saying about "who cares what the number is". Up until the last 2-3 years I would never have asked the question. However, at this point in my life I have some physical issues with my hands and fingers that force me to care a whole lot. Knowing how much total pressure I need to exert to make it fire is a critical factor in my decision on which trigger, or gun, to buy. 

Thanks all for the feedback. A lot of good info was learned from my side, which is one of the great things about this forum. 😃