Pesting redemption

Finally! I have had a few posts recently about this so apologies but I had such a good run today at the permission. I did miss a lot but that’s bc I was overwhelmed with activity.

Edit: I usually spend 2-3hrs and get a few recently. I was only there just over an hour today!

Typically I’d been going morning, and early afternoon. This time I had very little wind, 50 degrees, and sunny, so pretty much perfect conditions.

The birds (sparrows and starlings) just kept coming. Usually I can’t get close and when I do get shots I have less than 2-3 seconds. Didn’t even use my decoys this time and I was able to get 4 starlings and a handful of sparrows.

Couldn’t recover all of them but the pics will show the birds and where I was sitting. The long bush is 27 yards and trees on the left were 40 yards and the trees on the right were 50-60 yards.

I did manage to get a few sparrows with my Gamo magnum in the beginning but switched to my crown when I realized how active it was. Farmer and his wife were very happy as I said this is right against their house (seen in pic).

I did learn that late afternoon seems to be the best time for pesting. I will now be only going there at those times and see if my yields improve. But so happy to have had today work out in my favor, especially with the farmer watching the whole time.

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1375.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice shooting on those starlings and hosp's! Beautiful Crown and nice pic! It's a really fun day pesting when the weather conditions are that good!
Thank you! And it’s been such a long time (months) since I had a good day at this permission so it was a relief to get dialed in and figure them out.

Reactions: Ranchibi
Thank you! And it’s been such a long time (months) since I had a good day at this permission so it was a relief to get dialed in and figure them out.
TC , I just got back in an hour ago from my dairy permission . Popped a couple sparrows & a few starlings. I checked out the old chicken house where they keep young cattle in the lower level. Starlings & sparrows roost there but it's not "shoot friendly". If the weather keeps warming I'll set up my chair blind out in the pasture where I can get a decent shooting angle when they land on some old gate rubble . Hope your success continues .

Reactions: TC724
Same to you! This farm used to be a dairy farm (before I got there) and it was polluted with birds. Now it’s just pigs and cows and chickens but still enough to go around. Once the leaves go on though it will be very hard to get them! Good luck
TC , I just got back in an hour ago from my dairy permission . Popped a couple sparrows & a few starlings. I checked out the old chicken house where they keep young cattle in the lower level. Starlings & sparrows roost there but it's not "shoot friendly". If the weather keeps warming I'll set up my chair blind out in the pasture where I can get a decent shooting angle when they land on some old gate rubble . Hope your success continues .

Nice shooting, therapeutic to have a day like that, especially after a slow spell.

Yes, knocking them down while the landowner watches is priceless. Causes a lot of silly smiling.
A couple months ago my buddy handed his .25 TP Vet to the owner of one of our dairy permissions who is wheelchair bound. The target was a pigeon at 28 yds on top of a silo. Hearing that thwap made a few of us sport silly smiles.
Very cool.

Knocking them down while the farmer watches? Priceless, you are gold at that permission now… Good for you and them…🙏
Yeah, the first time was the best. I had only been there a few times and he came out of the barn and a starling landed on a telephone wire that was about 65 yards from me. He was right below it and pointed up at it and gave me a thumbs up like "shoot that" and luckily I guessed right and dropped it straight down, he was impressed and I felt great to showcase the effectiveness of these.

Reactions: L.Leon
Nice shooting, therapeutic to have a day like that, especially after a slow spell.

Yes, knocking them down while the landowner watches is priceless. Causes a lot of silly smiling.
A couple months ago my buddy handed his .25 TP Vet to the owner of one of our dairy permissions who is wheelchair bound. The target was a pigeon at 28 yds on top of a silo. Hearing that thwap made a few of us sport silly smiles.
Very cool.
Uh oh, might get them addicted! Lol, that "thwack" is insanely satisfying, good to hear!