Pesting "backyard friendly" impact noise

I can't wait for my Veteran long to get here. What was yours shooting out of the box. I added a DonnyFL with my order because I had them put a power plenum and a Huma regulator in. Probably didn't need either one on 22cal. I haven't had a mod since my Cyclone 7 years ago and it needed one. Those old FX shrouds didn't do much. I would like to have one as quiet as possible. I wonder if the ODB's are better?

My gun came tuned really hot shooting the 18.13 gr JSB at 1005 FPS. The stock regulator was set to 150 bars! I replaced the regulator with a Huma not because I thought the stock regulator was bad but because if I'm going to downtune the stock regulator, I need to buy a $100 reg tester. I decided to get the Huma instead since I can set it with the scale sticker on the side. The scale sticker was surprisingly accurate. The issue is, the quality of the sticker they used is really low (seems to be printed from an inkjet) and it became almost ilegible after only a few adjustments and reassembly of the gun. Even still, I already got the gun tuned properly and if I ever have to take the regulator apart for maintenance or for further adjustments, I'll just buy the Huma reg tester later on. I have the regulator set at just a smidge under 95 bars to shoot the Hades at around 31 FPE. I also ordered a DonnyFL Koi that I will install direcly on the barrel without the shroud. I should get that tomorrow.

francisfaustino,

I am the same situation as you. I want to shoot in my backyard but I don’t want my neighbors to know I am shooting. My PCP is quiet but the pellets hitting the target are not.

I bought a $7 bag of “Rubber Mulch” from Home Depot. The mulch is made from ground up tires. I put it in a plastic box and cut an opening in the lid a little smaller than my 8” X 11” targets. Before putting the lid on the box I put cardboard over the rubber mulch to keep the mulch from dumping out when I set up the box. The rubber mulch is heavy and stops the pellets. I am sure the pellets hitting the rubber is quiet but the pellets hitting the cardboard is not quiet.

Maybe I will try putting cloth in front of the cardboard to deaden the sound of the cardboard. I don’t want it to stop the pellets and them come flying back at me.

I lined the inside of my pellet trap with some low pile carpet squares , from a remodel I did. Put 5 layers on the back inside, three layers on the inside sides, two layers outside, and then covered that in some 5/8 form board. sure dulled down the cardboard smack/impact noise . Also when I shoot has alot to do with the stealthy part.

I discovered something a few night ago. I don't do a lot of target practice at home, but when I do, it's usually almost always less than 20 shots for zeroing or tuning purposes. Even with just 20 shots, I already feel insecure because my 27m zero places the target right in the middle of the backyard where it is very easy to see even if my pellet trap and gun are silent to the outside. As I said previously, I use sticks of duct seal for outside targets which is inaudible to me inside the house. I discovered that I can actually do target practice at night when it's dark so prying eyes can see. I just directed a flashlight near the target. It's amazing that even just 5 lumens of light is enough for target practice. It would probably be better if the light is about 50 lumens but the next higher light I have is already 200 lumens. Going too bright and it becomes noticeable that there is a weird lighting setup in the middle of our backyard! 😅😅😅

I am fotunate. I have 15 acres and put targets out from 10 to 100 yds. Did get a complaint about why I was shooting too much and the noise was really bad. It was my next door neighbor zeroing his muzzle loader before dear season. People driving by saw the targets and assumed the noise was coming from me. The quietist PCP I have ver owned is the Daystate Pulsar. 22 with a DonyFL on it. I just sent an email to Donny. Told him waht I had and he sent an Shogun. No exaggeration! I dry fired it inside and barely heard anything. It's all electric so there aren't as many moving parts parts and that helps. I actually held a sheet of paper in front of the muzzle to make sure air was coming out. On low power. Except for weight I have no complaints. IT's inside a dairy barn very friendly. The farmers and cows don't even know I am there.

Mathias, these are all very good suggestions. I follow them all, except the use of wadcutters. I have a Slavia 631 that shoots R-10s at about 570 fps and it is just devastating on sparrows, starlings and chipmunks. For squirrels, I use a Watts-tuned R7 running JSB exacts at about 640 fps. Shots are all 12-20 yards, so plenty of power for humane kills.