• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pesting#46 - more starlings got slugged

Thanks for the video. That cat was really waiting for din-din. Probably knows and waits when you go shooting there too. I had stray cats trained to fetch the dead birds whenever they saw my gun and watch where I shoot then go after them when they hit the ground. They get real furry with a steady bird diet.

I’m working from memory on the big debate about lead and waterfowl hunting. As I remember, the lead needed to be in a very powdered form to be absorbed by the body. The argument went that birds with a craw containing gravel could theoretically grind the lead into a near powder state. No evidence was ever offered that this happened but it is a reasonable theory to test. Lead poisoning by projectiles Is more of a political issue than a scientific one. Again going back to the water fowl situation researchers used dogs to find as many dead water fowl as they could see if any died of lead poisoning - none were found. If you really want to know weight a lead pellet and then swallow it, a day or two later after it has passed through your system weigh it again. You could test your blood before and after as well. 😳 that said I wouldn’t want a chunk of lead taking up full time residence in my body...

Probably 20 years ago US environmental agency required a town that was the site of some kind of mine to re-process their soil because of lead contamination. All the trees were cut down and a lot of damage was done in the process. The thing was the people who lived in the community showed no signs of lead poisoning and their body/blood lead levels were considerably Less than the average city dweller. It seems the particle size of the lead was too big to be taken up by plants or absorbed by human beings. EPA didn’t care as they specialize in really bad cost benefit actions.

@Top. ya, wish there are options out there that can be utilized.

@Yo. That cat is big and fat, no doubt he has been feeding on them starlings and doves.

@O2bmark. It is hard to know what is true and fiction, but too much of anything can be harmful regardless. Even us shooters are putting our health at risk by coming in contact with these lead pellets/slugs. Only time will tell... I will continue to sling them pellets/slugs to them pests as long as it is needed to.