Pesting / .22 @25ft/lbs / hades pellets

Hi guys ... I'm looking at approaching a couple of local farmers re: pesting in and around their farms / barns. Do you guys think I'll be seeing pass through on pigeons / starlings / rats? Obviously I'll discuss shooting with the property owner re; backgrounds - if he's cool with me taking something out with wood or steel (ibeams or whatever) behind a target. Not cool with potentially poking holes in his tin roof ... so don't take those shots. 

This gun has adjustable pwr and is currently at one step below full pwr slinging the hades at low 850's fps. I'm figuring ranging will be 15-60 yards - obviously the shorter ones will have more potential for pass through. 

Gun is an AA S510. 

You’ll definitely get pass through, have to be aware of what is beyond the target. If you plan on shooting up into the rafters you might consider something in the sub 12 FPE range. It’s best to pass up a shot when in doubt. Doesn’t take much energy to perforate a barn roof. If you’re already a safe shooter you’ll know which shots are off limits safety wise.

Crank the power down to shoot wadcutters like RWS wadcutters up to 25 yards. Probably want 350- 400fps max speed.

I too am guilty of blowing holes through rooftops with 12fpe rifle shooting wadcutters and crow magnum Hollowpoints to limit penetration but failed blew right through them and steel warehouse siding and roofing.

I Then used a 2.0 - 2.5fpe Daisy 717 pistol 350-360fps up to 13 yards and 2.5 - 3.0fpe S&W 586 Co2 400-420fps. No evidence of damage.

Don't want your farmer permission to UNPERMISSION YOU.

I would specifically go and buy a standard (non HP) 177 Daystate Pulsar and a Heliboard. Repeatable power levels. 

OR a 177 Redwolf standard with Heliboard if you prefer a rifle instead get the walnut since the laminates are too slippery.

There's one for sale on the classifieds right now at a good price the FT scope probably no good for you just offer to buy the 177 Redwolf thank me later just order the Heliboard from Greece A+ highly recommended!

Plus spent thousands with seller MarkW over many years now highly recommended too A+.

If you wamna go cheap buy a Crosman 1701P leave it alone shooting 400-450fps (actually back the power down to around 350-400fps you get greater kill success no pass through Buy the RAI AR stock adapter and additional side folding $15 UTG piece and a TKO or $26 - $27 LDC I posted heads up ONE OUNCE LDC topic recently shoot only wadcutters or Polymags for inside shooting. If you want to shoot 7.4gr Crosman Pointed back it down to 350fps max shouldn't blow holes in the sides of barn siding or roofs.

^^^^^^what he said! 

I shoot house sparrows at 35 yards at 7fpe or 650FPS and 100% pass through, same with rats. I haven’t had a pigeon in my yard yet. Best way is to ask the farmer for a sheet of whatever roofing material and test different power and pellet combo. With .22 pellets you probably will have to be well below 400fps. If you have some scrap wood at home the shoot it as low as you can go on your guns and you will be surprise how much power and damage even a slow flying .22 pellet can do.

either a 1701 with a foldable carbine stock or pp700/pp750 in 177 at 400fps should be quite safe with CPHP. For reference I was shooting 5.6 grain lead free pellets at 450fps and it would go through 3 layers of cotton T-shirt, at 400 FPS I finally was able to not go through a layer of T-shirt BUT it still made a dent on inside of my garage door when I had moderator clipping. Very light dent but still a dent and that is exactly 2 FPE! You need about 2-3 FPE to kill birds and rats. 

edit: actually 1701 is your best bet because it’s not easy to tune pp700 and 750 to that low. 

I will say this but this is what I experienced out in field shooting a pumpkin at 35 to 40 yards with a .22 Hades shooting 20 ft/lbs at muzzle.

The Hades blew easily through both sides of the pumpkin and a 1/4 to 1/3 inch into the wood back stop behind it. The rind of a pumpkin is thick and dense, and the pellet still went through both sides and had enough energy to into the wood.

So yeah I would dial it down if you don’t have solid backstop like a manure pile or dirt on nothing clearly behind your shot for a 100 - 200 yards if you are worried about pass through.

Good info guys. I haven't shot birds since I was a kid. I had a Crossman 766 and used bb's. Many a bird flew away only to die in the neighbors yard. Pigeons would laugh unless hit in the head/neck. Maybe it was the ammo? My buddy had an rws 34 I think it was and it was way better, but still 177. Im now looking for my first pcp and lots of videos they are using 25 and 30 cal. Most of those are 1 shot kills, but im leaning towards the 25 for shot count. Some of the videos you can see the pellet go through and sometimes exit at weird angles. I can see your point of view on low power, but no way I want as low as the old 766 even at 10 pumps.

Good info guys. I haven't shot birds since I was a kid. I had a Crossman 766 and used bb's. Many a bird flew away only to die in the neighbors yard. Pigeons would laugh unless hit in the head/neck. Maybe it was the ammo? My buddy had an rws 34 I think it was and it was way better, but still 177. Im now looking for my first pcp and lots of videos they are using 25 and 30 cal. Most of those are 1 shot kills, but im leaning towards the 25 for shot count. Some of the videos you can see the pellet go through and sometimes exit at weird angles. I can see your point of view on low power, but no way I want as low as the old 766 even at 10 pumps.

there is one thing in common with all the pesting videos and that is they are all in rural areas with NOTHING behind the target. When you get which ever gun you do end up getting just shoot some plywood and 2x4s and see for yourself just how powerful these guns are even tuned down. With air gun it’s all about shot placement. Welcome to the hobby and please be careful. 

4BA6D1B9-1FA1-405E-A9A1-1D1F6D56981C.1609136274.jpeg
As others have said I to feel the .22 will have to be tuned way down. I really never gave much mind for lower fpe till here recently. I tuned my SynRod to 20fpe with the BStaley mod shooting cpdm. 2days I later in shot the rabbit at 36yrds in the back of the head just below the ears. Hit with enough fpe to not only get a pass through but push his eye balls out of socket. I think a 1701p would be perfect for the job.