Pest Squirrel Trapping

Snares are really good for squirrels. For sure check and make sure you can legally use them first and don’t put them where they can easily be seen from outsiders. Looks like you’re the squirrel hangman. They’re very cheap, easy to learn and safe. I set them on a 2x4 running up a tree or from tree to tree. This gives you an idea. Animals don’t notice the small wire. 
5B510B64-757F-4F39-A467-794FF281CE93.1645887612.jpeg

Just curious if most are caught around the neck and strangle/dangle from the board? Are any alive when you retrieve them? How big a diameter loop do you use? Guessing 1 1/2-2 inches? Do the other squirrels become somewhat aware of the snares and avoid them? That is an issue I have had trapping squirrels in a yard repeatedly.

The snare method sounds simple and cost effective. This method is sometimes used for martin,& weasels but usually a conibear trap is placed into the opening of a box the size & shape of a mailbox. The bait is placed in the back of the box. The trap box is then positioned on a sapling leaned against the tree. The trap is tied off to the sapling to prevent the trapped animal from falling to the ground. I guess the box method is mostly used because of the bait making the trapping of the animal easier and the animal having no choice but to stick its head into the box trap to get the bait...thus having a better chance of being caught & of it being a quick humane kill.

Thanks for the sharing your information.

It seems like you catch as many around the waist as you do around the neck. You could change your loop size to get more around the neck. I’ve never come up on them alive in the snare. I think you would have to get to them within a minute or so, snares kill really quickly with locking collars. Probably 1 1/2-2 1/2” loop, you want to make sure they can’t run around it, the small loop should get more by the neck but will probably have a slightly lower success rate. I think they think of the snare wire as just another vine hanging from a tree limb, no animal I’ve trapped has become trap shy of a snare that I could tell, of course I’m not there watching it but I’ve been successful with the same set for extended periods. I’ve used the conibear in a bucket set to trap coons, critters seem to catch on to that trick quick though. You can also use snares in no kill sets with a relaxing collar. That’s how I set them if it’s not in a tree in case a cat or dog gets in it. If eradication is the goal I think you would be hard pressed to find something as effective as a good snare set.

Beau

Agree. The secret to using a snare and for that matter any trap is location, location, location and funneling the targeted animal into it. They have to be set correctly including the loop diameter. With any trapping you are bound to get non-targeted animals. You just have to take steps to minimize this such as using a deer stop (often required by law anyway) on hog snares. There are places and situations where snares are not appropriate. Thanks for the reply.

I don’t think squirrels do, but I assume a smart one could. Coyotes are at the top as the hardest animal to trap, I’ve heard wolves are very difficult also. I think the cats are a bit below coyotes, then the land based fur bearers. This is how’s it’s been laid out to me through reading and speaking with trappers. I don’t have enough experience with most of these animals to give an opinion based on experience surely someone here does.

Does the concern of the pest animal detecting human scent on these traps come into play? If they smell you will they learn to avoid the traps? If so which pest animal(s) are most prone to adapt?

A lot of effort is taken with the trap preparation for certain animals. The traps are even boiled. I think most of this is for upper predatory animals like bobcats, wolves, coyotes, wolverines etc. that are spooked by human scent. For this reason latex gloves are even used when setting these traps.I think most of the prey animals are less susceptible to this scent issue and the bait is to big of a draw to resist. This is just my opinion... but I believe the issue with trapped squirrels is that they are often abundant in the area and thus seeing their buddies being trapped, hearing the traps snapping shut etc. will spook them just like shooting and missing squirrels may deter them for awhile. I just don't think they shy away from human scent. LOL they crawl all over the porch, yard, and even homestead our attics. However, squirrels have a highly developed olfactory system. Grey squirrels can detect nuts they have buried. The sight of dead squirrels will sometimes make them a little fidgety usually but not keep them away. They will even sniff a dead squirrel and the blood and then go on about their business after a small amount of time. They know something is wrong and will sometimes shake their tail and such but will usually settle down. As stated it is only a guess on my part but I think the reason they sometimes spook and avoid traps is just simply learning from seeing them in action. Again this is just my opinion...other squirrels moving into the vacated area may not have witnessed the trapping and thus not avoid them. Another thing having nothing to do with trap avoidance is the fact that as you trap them you will see less in the traps because the numbers have been reduced. Either way trapping the same area repeatedly for squirrels or any other animal will result in less being caught.

Many animals will avoid a trap like the plague once unsuccessfully trapped (for example they trigger the trap but are not caught) or they escape. Hogs are a very good example.