• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pest gun question

Evening everyone,

My brother was telling me yesterday that he is having a bit of a pest problem, specifically with armadillos. He has the odd chipmunk or squirrel problem but we have enough raptors living around us that keep those problems under control so we don’t have to worry. He is finding that armadillos aren’t afraid of most local predators and has decided to take a more personal interest in dealing with them. Powder burners are out of the question given his location so I recommended a good air rifle. He isn’t a serious shooter and was going to get his old Crosman 760 out but I told him it was completely inadequate. I want to offer him one of mine so my question is, would an Umarex Gauntlet in .25 caliber be enough to make one shot kills? Assuming proper shot placement will that do the job reliably? The last time I shot an armadillo it was with a .17hmr and it worked but I doubt the Gauntlet puts out as much energy. 25 cal is the heaviest I have so will it work? Thanks.

Rick H.

Otis,
Armadillo infestation was almost as bad as the crows when retired in 2005 to Florida. Used 22lr and 12 gauge till neighborhood got too built out. Body shots and runoffs were normal, even with shotgun, though runoffs, in that case, were not far. Anyone making headshots deserves credit, I hardly ever see the tiny head considering mainly night shooting lit by back porch lights. One reason I got into air guns was to silently dispatch crows and armadillos, neighbor sold me a Benjamin Trail NP XL .22, since my Crosman F4 .177 was too light. Had success with Benjamin but would use Wildcat MK3 .30 today. My Gauntlet .25 would also work but .30 brings more FPE to the table. WM

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1