Pest control - RAW HM1000x or FX Crown

This is my first dive into airgun, so I apologize if my language here is not yet 100% there yet… I’m in need of an airgun for some urban pest control (25 to 50 yards in my backyard, pest are small birds), but I would also like to stretch it out to 150+ yds for target shooting in a PRS type environment… I’m all about centerfire and rimfire rifles, but given this pest control I need to do is in my backyard (urban area) I think an airgun is the perfect solution, and that my main driver and main objective here.

I’ve done some research and apparently the RAW HM1000x and the FX Crown in 22cal may fit the bill perfectly, hence those are my 2 main options right now.

Would you agree? Would a .25cal be better suited for the task at hand? Would I be able to use a moderator to tame down the sound?

Thanks in advance guys! 👍🏻

-EC

I have both of those rifles and they are both very well made and accurate.
The HM1000X is in my opinion the better quality rifle, it’s more robust and nothing about it is flimsy. Mine is a .22 and it can group under an inch at 100 yards.
The Crown is just as accurate, but it isn’t as well built as the RAW, I can’t call it flimsy but it’s much more fragile than the RAW.
It’s a .30 caliber and very accurate and hard hitting, but not a good choice for pests in an urban setting.
I needed power for raccoons and coyotes.
If you are open to .177 caliber and can spend a little more money I would recommend getting a RedWolf HP in .177 caliber.
I had a RedWolf in .22 caliber and it was very accurate, but pellet fussy.
I have one in .177 and it’s a true dream rifle in every way.
You can shoot pellets on low power for birds with tremendous accuracy out to 80 yards, and best of all it shoots the 13.43 grain Knockout slugs on high power at over 1000 fps with phenomenal precision.
It’s really quiet and efficient with air, and the electronic trigger is awesome.
It’s just so much fun to shoot at long range and have no recoil, you can watch the impacts happen through a high power scope.
It’s also a pretty big rifle, like the RAW.
The Crown is considerably lighter and easier to shoot off hand.
And there’s lots of other excellent choices available as other folks will point out.
Best of luck with your hunt for the perfect rifle!

PRS and pesting are two opposite types of shooting requiring different types of air rifles. I'd much rather handle the light weight and balance of an FX Crown for pesting. The RAW would be the better choice of those two for PRS competition. Choose between those two disciplines to decide which is your priority. The correct answer is you need two rifles.

Your two requirements is like wanting race horse that can pull a heavy wagon. Opposite needs and no horse will do both very well. My suggestion is a Crown for pesting and a Panthera for PRS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rizz01 and Vana2
I have both guns . The raw in 25 and 30 cal. The crown in 30. Shooting 100 + yards The raw will eat the crown lunch flat out period. Both are nice guns but build quality, trigger and accuracy favor The raw.

20220607_172331.jpg

20220426_195332.jpg

20220607_172350.jpg

20230320_161118.jpg

I have a RAW a friend has a Crown both in .22, the RAW is heavier and it's build quality is top notch like said above. The Crown is lighter easier to carry in the field. Accuracy is excellent for both. If you are also going to shoot well past 100yds, get a FX Crown/Impact M3:and you can change calibers easily.
IMG_7132.jpeg

As said above, pesting and PRS are two diametrically opposite areas.

I seriously considered getting a .22 caliber RAW, a superb airgun, but I was put off by its lack of easy tunability. I was told that the regular power RAW was factory tuned the 18 grain pellets and the hi-power to 25 grain. Fine a good projectile and go with that -user tuning or tweaking was not recommended.

I've been using a .22 caliber 500mm FX Crown MK2 as my go-to pesting, hunting, target and general shooting PCP for several years now. Been very pleased with the rifle and it's performance. No complaints, 50 yard groups are sub-MOA.

Don't shoot competitively but for slugs and long range my .22/700mm Panthera has been doing very well.

Cheers!

The Crown is a superior pesting gun imo. Will cary and handle much better. Accuracy is there. The raw strikes me more as a bench or target gun. For 150 yards I'd lean toward a .25. But .22 can do it as well. Slugs will be easier to shoot with the FX. And likely will be more accurate with them. I think the RAWs are more robust for sure. Personally, I'd get a gun for pesting and another for target.

Fwiw, I've had my crown do 1/2 moa at 100 using a 700mm slug a liner and 36gr .218 boat tails @65fpe. Mine is a mk1. I rarely shoot slugs and almost exclusively use the 380mm pellet a liner, shoot 16gr .22 pellets at 960fps for hunting. I converted the 700 to a 500mm barrel since it was so obscene and I have almost no use for slugs. Still I almost never use the 500. Trigger on this one is superb imo. Easily take headshots out 70yrd on game in this configuration. I think a better shooter could push it further, but that's about the edge of my confort zone.

DSCF6077_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi