• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pest control ethics dilemma

A year or so ago at one of my "permissions", the owner complained of pigeons getting into his buildings and pooping on everything. I can only get within 50 yards of them because as soon as someone enters one of these buildings, they take off. I was able to pick a few of them off and when I went to collect them, I found a tag on each birds foot. I looked it up and found they are racing pigeons from two states away. Fast forward a year and some change and what started out as a group of about five (minus two) turned into twenty five. I can only assume they are from the same group a few states away. My dilemma is do I continue to shoot these pests knowing they are pets or do I leave them alone. They continue to make a mess of things and the owner of the permission wants them gone no matter what. I've thought of contacting the owner of the birds, but how do I tell someone I've murdered their pets and am going to do so again if they don't come get them. The last thing I want is to get into a dispute with someone from another state. I know there is no clear cut way of handling this, so I'm asking you guys what you would do in hopes of taking care of this problem in the best way possible.

I had the same problem here in California. I shot a few that had tags. I went to the Dept of Fish and Wildlife office to discuss this with a warden. California law says you cannot shoot ANY pigeon on public property, due to the fact that you might be shooting a tagged pigeon. Shooting them on private property, when they are causing damage to your property, is ok, even if they are tagged. I wouldn't worry about contacting the owner

really I see this simply with your ethics its kinda like lost and found in private property there causing damage and you have every right to control but if you feel bad make it simple call the owner say hello I regret to inform you but your racing pigeons have caused damage to a Blanks property in this state apon removing the a few I found a tag if these belong t you I urge you to contact blank and get them if you do not we they will be forcibly removed and we cannot be held responsible for them... and there ya go you kinda covered all your basses specially since you don't know why these race pidgins form 2 states are so far out it could be the owner released them

Really you need to decide if you are doing pest control or pest extermination. For control you might want to look into bird spikes or bird netting. Look at what it is that is drawing them there, food or to roost, also what time of day they are there. The first step is to remove any reason they are roosting. They are also in peak breeding season so get rid of all nests you can find. Hang some visual deterrents up where they are entering the building, flashing metal strips, cd's. If they are getting into the building thru a window or holes then hardware cloth is your best friend. There are also chemical deterrents you can spread where they are nesting/landing. If extermination is the end game, you need to check with your local law office as pigeons are protected in a surprising number of places, and you may need a licensed tech out.

Owners of racing pigdeons do factor a loss of birds when released a long way from home.A mate's father many years ago was an avid racer.I asked him the usual questions,how do they find their way back from 500 kilometers away. He shrugged his shoulders and said'Don't know.Some just don't come back.Hawks,eagles,cats,kids with airguns.As long as one comes back before the others,I win". Shoot away and make Ted's pigdeon pie. 

From past experience, pigeons are not afraid of any form of fake deterrents. I've seen them perch on plastic owls. The shiny streamers worked for about a week, but then they figured out it won't hurt them. I cannot put up netting because of over head hoists. I have also thought about making Ted's pie with these birds, but there isn't farmland for miles and miles to provide them clean food. They seem to be in the area of my permission for most of the day. I don't eat city animals. I tried one of the squirrels from my back yard and it was the most rancid meat I've ever had. I will eat country squirrels any day of the week. They are delicious. I've always wanted to try pigeon though. 

Today i was able to go looking for those pigeons. I've decided that since these birds have been here for over a year, they are no longer pets. Once the problem is taken care of for good, I'll contact the owner and tell him where his pigeons have ended up. As I was getting my rifle ready after spotting the group, I witnessed a huge hawk swoop down and snag a pigeon. I didn't have my scope cam set up yet, so I didn't get it on film. After that, the pigeons were out of the area. I did see two other hawks circling around, so hopefully they will take care of the group. If not, at least leave me a few to practice on. Today would have been a good day to shoot them too. We have a 15-20 mph wind and that would be great practice for me. Thanks for all of your advice. Nothing but good things have come out of this forum for me.