• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pest Control Camera $25

Many of you are like me and use your air rifle for home pest control.

I recently updated my camera and want to share it with you.

I have a neighbor with hunting dogs in a kennel that always has dog food on the ground, so I get rats and mice. Two winters ago they found their way in my attic during a cold spell.

Since then I have been using a camera to monitor the area. I was using a cheap home camera connected to a usb battery pack I have a safe shooting location at a bird feeder I put on my fence near the kennels. The fence is re enforces with multiple boards of wood, and there is an oak tree behind that. If its in the feeder, its a safe shot.

This new camera is indoor/outdoor. It is rechargeable with an internal battery. I/O on the bottom includes a slot for microSD, and it is protected with a rubber insert.
I have it set up for motion detection and it will record that activity and alert silently on my phone. It also keeps a log so you can turn that off and just check it to see what time you can expect your pests. It's cheaper than most trail cams i have seen and pretty small in size.

I run an IR flood light in my backyard, so I taped over the IR illuminator in the unit. I haven't found in the setting an off switch for it.

I have been running it 24/7 for the last two days and it is still at 87% battery. I will update with how long it last on a charge.

I bought it for 25 bucks, the price is now 30. Just watch, I am sure it will go back down.

This is the camera I am using

The light I use in my yard mounted on my house 18 yards from the feeder

Looks economic. I have 2 cameras but still none that I'd recommend because once or twice a year these ones tend to fall off the wifi. When that happens it's nearly impossible to figure out why and to get it reconnected. Frustrating. Then sometimes they just fix themselves. Definitely flawed

I think I need to spend more. One of mine finally died after 3 years. So trying a new one this weekend

Not going cellular here because I'm keeping costs low

I have had good experience with this ir light

Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator​

Last edited:
Reactions: Florida_Man
Looks economic. I have 2 cameras but still none that I'd recommend because once or twice a year these ones tend to fall off the wifi. When that happens it's nearly impossible to figure out why and to get it reconnected. Frustrating. Then sometimes they just fix themselves. Definitely flawed

I think I need to spend more. One of mine finally died after 3 years. So trying a new one this weekend

Not going cellular here because I'm keeping costs low

I have had good experience with this ir light

Tendelux DI20 IR Illuminator​

I have the old version illuminator. Mine sits inside against a rear facing window. It’s been plugged in since Oct 2021 and still working great. When it goes I will try the updated one and mount it outside.

This was the camera I used before. It wasn’t designed for outside use, but it worked for a long time. It handled a lot of rain haha. But it finally died. I originally bought the cameras to watch our dogs in the house during the day. So it was just a repurpose job. Now I have something great that works specifically for the job.

IMG_2319.jpeg

It looks like you have it perfectly located 😂

I can say that I've been using and do not recommend some of the Zumimall cameras. Specifically I do not like the ones which resemble the two images because they fall off the wifi.

However so far have had good luck with this other model for 2+ years. I suppose that means I do recommend it but it's not as economical as yours https://www.zumimall.com/products/2k-360-ptz-wireless-security-camera-gx2s

Do not buy the ones from Zumimall that look like images below.

ZUMIMALLSecurityCamerasWirelessOutdoorSolarPowered2KHomeBatteryPoweredwith3MPColorNightVisionS...jpg

9_01ff9f26-601b-43e1-b679-504ac1dc2323_540x.jpg

I happened to aquire an outdoor smart plug second hand. I use that to manually turn on the IR light from my phone and keep it just under the roof so it doesn't get pounded by rain or snow. So far the IR light has lasted 1 year outside like this.

I'm curious what gear others are using. What is successful and what sux. Including how long someone has used a given camera

Reactions: Florida_Man
Many of you are like me and use your air rifle for home pest control.

I recently updated my camera and want to share it with you.

I have a neighbor with hunting dogs in a kennel that always has dog food on the ground, so I get rats and mice. Two winters ago they found their way in my attic during a cold spell.

Since then I have been using a camera to monitor the area. I was using a cheap home camera connected to a usb battery pack I have a safe shooting location at a bird feeder I put on my fence near the kennels. The fence is re enforces with multiple boards of wood, and there is an oak tree behind that. If its in the feeder, its a safe shot.

This new camera is indoor/outdoor. It is rechargeable with an internal battery. I/O on the bottom includes a slot for microSD, and it is protected with a rubber insert.
I have it set up for motion detection and it will record that activity and alert silently on my phone. It also keeps a log so you can turn that off and just check it to see what time you can expect your pests. It's cheaper than most trail cams i have seen and pretty small in size.

I run an IR flood light in my backyard, so I taped over the IR illuminator in the unit. I haven't found in the setting an off switch for it.

I have been running it 24/7 for the last two days and it is still at 87% battery. I will update with how long it last on a charge.

I bought it for 25 bucks, the price is now 30. Just watch, I am sure it will go back down.

This is the camera I am using

The light I use in my yard mounted on my house 18 yards from the feeder

Your pics are so cool. I would have burglars, perverts, & coyotes on my cameras 🎥😂🤣

Last edited:
@Florida_Man

Nice to see the flying squirrel in the last video. I had not looked for them in my backyard for a while because I can only see them just before it gets too dark to see. So, I looked last evening and apparently, I have a whole new group of at least 6 in my backyard again!

Of course, I don't shoot them. They don't do any damage and are fun to watch... if you can see them before it gets too dark. Their gliding capabilities are incredible!

All my best!

Kerry

@Florida_Man

Nice to see the flying squirrel in the last video. I had not looked for them in my backyard for a while because I can only see them just before it gets too dark to see. So, I looked last evening and apparently, I have a whole new group of at least 6 in my backyard again!

Of course, I don't shoot them. They don't do any damage and are fun to watch... if you can see them before it gets too dark. Their gliding capabilities are incredible!

All my best!

Kerry
Thats great! They are the only rodent I allow in my yard, they are so fast. I agree they are great fun to watch. Mine rarely show up before it's completely dark.

Reactions: BackStop