• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Personal best RMAC-type score

Last night a few of us went to the range for some RMAC practice. I shot my best RMAC score so I felt the need to brag a little

The first three targets were nothing to brag about but only one person beat me. Conditions were typical for the range, usually gusts were less than 10 MPH, but very switchy, and inconsistent. Scores were: 220-4x, 220-3x, and 223-4x. Scored like the proposed K100: 239-6x, 238-7x, and 241-7x.

On the 4th target, the wind completely died. This is very rare at this range, at least for any length of time. I usually hate to shoot when it looks very calm, because it usually isn't. It had been dead calm for a few minutes, so I decided to go for it. I started out shooting at my normal slow speed but as the score was looking good I got a bunch faster in hopes of finishing in the condition. I finished in well under 7 minutes. My RMAC score was 240-5x and the K100 score was 250-15x.

Too bad this didn't happen at a real match, but then everyone would have shot in that condition and they might have beat me anyway. Still, it was pretty fun and it gave me an idea of what my gun is capable of if I could just read the wind properly.

--Jim

Wow, that's good for 75 yards, let alone 100Y. Nice shooting. Those 220-ish scores in wind conditions are very good also. I've looked back over the past four years since 2018 at RMAC and EBR, and NO ONE has shot over 230 in those competitions conditions. There were a few 229s at RMAC last year, so close. Sounds like that 240 was in conditions even better than the Sportsman Class had last year in the finals. Were you shooting .30 caliber 44.75gr pellets? Asking because I've heard some of the better shooters there in Utah were shifting from .30 to .25 King Heavy...

PS., what is K100?

Never mind, I see its the failed attempt to add 100Y Pellet BR to the N50 "Nationals" and use a scorecard with scoring rings shifted downwards.

Wow, that's good for 75 yards, let alone 100Y. Nice shooting. Those 220-ish scores in wind conditions are very good also. I've looked back over the past four years since 2018 at RMAC and EBR, and NO ONE has shot over 230 in those competitions conditions. There were a few 229s at RMAC last year, so close. Sounds like that 240 was in conditions even better than the Sportsman Class had last year in the finals. Were you shooting .30 caliber 44.75gr pellets? Asking because I've heard some of the better shooters there in Utah were shifting from .30 to .25 King Heavy...

PS., what is K100?

The condition when I shot 240 last night was way better than the Sportsman finals last year (I shot a 227-8x). I have rarely seen it like this for more than a couple minutes at a time. I was shooting a RAW 22 with JSB MRD pellets.

It seems like quite a few here are trying the 25 cal lately, but it seems like the 30's might still have an advantage if conditions get tough. Where it is allowed, like the steel targets, many are going to 22 cal slugs.

K100 is the target format they are considering for trial at the N50 Nationals. Basically, like the RMAC target but the 10 ring becomes the X, the 9 ring becomes the 10, and so forth.

--Jim

Jim, thanks. I knew that but brain farted, so updated my post at the bottom. IMHO the .25 Heavy actually shoot BETTER in the wind than the .30 pellets, and have better wind resistance (so do the .22 RD Monsters). (I could say better BC but it would start that BC versus wind resistance argument all over again). LOL Thayne S. said in his RMAC interview with Steve S that he shot the .25 Heavy side by side with the .30 and drift was much less, like if .30 was 3 MOA, the .25 Heavy was 2 MOA...

Yes, you guys shooting Sportsman last year kicked the Pro's butts, and had some impressive scores. When we shot an hour later it was much different, that range is tricky and then the big tent in back of the higher 7 to 8 lanes (12-20), plus Hick's big trailer to the right blocking wind for the highest (16-20) lanes makes luck of the draw even more important when wind is uphill...

That’s a nice score, Jim. That rare air is fun to get sometimes. I watched Irwin Segerman shoot a plugged 243 something X through a spotting scope on the EBR target when he was last here. It was pretty cool. Targets like that deserve the 250 status I think. 

Since you don’t really care for 100y with pellets…do you shoot much 50? I would make the 5 hour drive if the club puts on any more 3 card (at least) N50 matches. David said that everyone seems to enjoy them.

Mike 

I would like to shoot more N50 matches. I went to two that Dave put on in SLC and they were great fun. The range they shoot is a public range and they are pretty strict about the shooting timeframe, and the "benches" are basically pistol shooting bays with a table between the walls. They also have overhead "berms" to guard against shots over the backstop as there are live ranges on the other side. You are allowed to shoot for 15 min then 5 min for target change, and they are pretty strict about the times. The overheads make reading the wind pretty difficult.

Dave has also held a couple "fun matches" at the Springville range and that works much better since we have real benches and can reserve the range for ourselves. I am hoping we can get him to hold some matches there this summer. I believe that everyone who attends his matches has a good time.

I definitely prefer 50 yds for pellet airgun, and even for rimfire.

--Jim

I see. I guess I thought the N50 matches he held were at the same range RMAC is held.

Well, if you want to get together and have some matches we can certainly do them at my house. I’d come out there, too. I’ve driven a lot further for a match before. In fact…that’s probably less than half the distance I normally go for matches.

Mike 

Don’t let Jim fool you! He has whipped all of us more than once! His scores don’t surprise me one bit and I only wish I could read flags like him!

great shooting as always Jim 👍🏻

And yet, you always beat me. Some folks just will not cut an old codger any slack.

When Jayson shows up, the rest of us have to fight for second place. There are quite a few good shooters here, so it is always challenging.

Maybe I just get the worst bench every time... just practicing my excuses for RMAC.

--Jim