• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Permission success, but just barely.

Finally, after about 2 months of time off from this permission I headed back for a few hours last weekend. Only spent about 2-3hrs there but ended up with 2 sparrows and 2 starlings.

This permission has tons of sparrows but they do not stay still, 99% of the time they land and move within a literal second. When we first started going there last year they weren’t like this, however I took some time off thinking they would become dumb again with no luck.

Glad to get out here and stretch the legs on my FX Crown but trying to yield a good amount of birds has just become impossible.

I made some starling decoys from some Halloween decorations and I will try them next time to see if I can get them to commit to a certain area or not.

IMG_1249.jpeg

At what ranges are you trying to shoot them?
I mean, they can't always be in motion, they've GOT to sit down SOMEWHERE.
Probably not CLOSE to you.

➔ So, how far do you have to be away from them that they will feel safe to sit down?
➔ That's the range you have to shoot them at.

Or: Get a $99 pop-up hide, and snipe them from there. 😉

Matthias

Reactions: AmosBurton
you need a bag of bird seed lol .. become the good guy, and yeah, set up back behind something where they cant see you real quiet-like ... also learn to take those moving shots, i literally cringe when i watch vids of guys waiting for everything to stop and miss out on shots .. anticipate ..

At what ranges are you trying to shoot them?
I mean, they can't always be in motion, they've GOT to sit down SOMEWHERE.
Probably not CLOSE to you.

➔ So, how far do you have to be away from them that they will feel safe to sit down?
➔ That's the range you have to shoot them at.

Or: Get a $99 pop-up hide, and snipe them from there. 😉

Matthias
You’re correct, however they have 100s of holes or openings to get inside the barns and disappear. I’ve tried working them from inside but they just fly out and leave the farm all together into the nearby woodlands.

I never get closer than 50yards just bc nothing lets me. All my shots are usually 60-100yards, most around 70. Which isn’t easy when nothing sits still lol.

The 4 you see here, 3 of those were 70y and beyond which just isn’t ideal, at least for my set up. I have tried just waiting them out from a strategic position far away but they just don’t sit still on top of anything, they always go inside.

One day I’ll figure them out!!

Try and make a hide or find somewhere to cover your movements. If they know when they see people some of them are going to drop.... they will be skittish for a VERY long time. Tuck into a building or between some equipment and wait. They should settle down and let you get a shot off, then fly around and land.
My dad (who comes with me occasionally) has a little pop up blind he bought. Didn’t make much difference honestly, I am not sure why they became forever skiddish but I don’t experience anywhere else.

I could try putting the hide up in different areas and see which one bothers them the least I guess? It’s something!

you need a bag of bird seed lol .. become the good guy, and yeah, set up back behind something where they cant see you real quiet-like ... also learn to take those moving shots, i literally cringe when i watch vids of guys waiting for everything to stop and miss out on shots .. anticipate ..
I have thought t about baiting them to a specific area, but they have so much to eat from the chickens and stuff it’s just not worth the effort.

Ironically when I used to sit in the wide open and use my bipod on a hay bale, I would average 20-25 birds a day. Then they became smart somehow and now being hidden and having an angle is very hard. (Very small farm with the living house right on the property). Makes getting an angle very limited.

Man, you're good, taking 70 to 100 yard shots on those small critters. 👏🏼

It sounds you already tried different techniques — and those didn't work. But good for you that you became creative.

➠ One more strategy you could try:

● Maybe you could spoil them for a few weeks with:
▪ plenty of food
▪ in a very accessible (and visible) location (that is also very easy to hit from a hidden position)
▪ with different types of food that they might like (ask an ornithologist, or on a forum for bird watchers 😉)
▪ separate the different types of food into separate piles ➔ and evaluate after a time which food they like best (to use from now on)

● Then, when they have gotten comfortable, get killing! 😆

● Seems like this is a crop of birds that are unusually smart.
➠ Maybe you need to think of getting another permission with dumber critters, or less food supply around so your baiting will be more successful.

Good luck!

Matthias

Well, here are a couple of links to help you in your deadly pursuit.

I love the first one especially.
It's entitled
"How to Attract Starlings".

➠ And their first piece of advice is:
"Eliminate possible threats"
😆 . . . 😆 . . . 😆

Yeah, man, "eliminate"!
But what an ethical dilemma: should you "eliminate" YOURSELF — or should you "eliminate" the PEST BIRDS? 😉

Matthias

As a teenager, I cut my teeth on English Sparrows who would steal my neighbors chicken feed. I can think of 4 things you may want to try.
1. Place a permanent blind so they get used to it.
2. Wear a face covering and unusual top clothing when walking to the blind, so you appear a little less human.
3. Set up a bird feeder in a spot that best suits you.
4. Find a spot where they tend to land, aim there and wait...

Man, you're good, taking 70 to 100 yard shots on those small critters. 👏🏼

It sounds you already tried different techniques — and those didn't work. But good for you that you became creative.

➠ One more strategy you could try:

● Maybe you could spoil them for a few weeks with:
▪ plenty of food
▪ in a very accessible (and visible) location (that is also very easy to hit from a hidden position)
▪ with different types of food that they might like (ask an ornithologist, or on a forum for bird watchers 😉)
▪ separate the different types of food into separate piles ➔ and evaluate after a time which food they like best (to use from now on)

● Then, when they have gotten comfortable, get killing! 😆

● Seems like this is a crop of birds that are unusually smart.
➠ Maybe you need to think of getting another permission with dumber critters, or less food supply around so your baiting will be more successful.

Good luck!

Matthias
lol I definitely don’t prefer to take the far shots but when they hit that “thwack” is a great feeling! Good honest input here, truthfully you guys are giving me ideas so this post was worth it!!

Finally, after about 2 months of time off from this permission I headed back for a few hours last weekend. Only spent about 2-3hrs there but ended up with 2 sparrows and 2 starlings.

This permission has tons of sparrows but they do not stay still, 99% of the time they land and move within a literal second. When we first started going there last year they weren’t like this, however I took some time off thinking they would become dumb again with no luck.

Glad to get out here and stretch the legs on my FX Crown but trying to yield a good amount of birds has just become impossible.

I made some starling decoys from some Halloween decorations and I will try them next time to see if I can get them to commit to a certain area or not.

View attachment 434874
Set the dead birds up for decoys.