Performance of my Trash Can Pellet Trap

There seem to always be new threads where folks ask what sort of pellet trap they should use.

Based on the recommendations of this site, I finally was able to get some rubber mulch nuggets. But instead of a cardboard box, I decided to put them into a trashcan - a Rubbermaid 2965 to be exact. These 'commercial' level trash cans are not quite as cheap as the plastic ones at Wally World, but they are made of much better and softer plastic to give them a bit of self-healing properties.

Having shot my first trash can trap since last October, I noticed that it was getting pretty heavy, so I started the replacement project today. This trap doesn't get shot as much as my other one as this was my 51 (now 61) yard long range trap in my back yard. I do all of the chrono, zeroing and initial accuracy testing at the 25 yard trap, so that needs emptying more often.

I had shot this trash can trap with everything from .177 up to .30, and with up to 91 FPE at the muzzle. While this can is fully perforated on both sides, not a single round passed through it (a couple of months back I turned it around - you get 2 good shooting sides).

IMG_1523.1616896874.JPG

The white stuff is cut from an old kitchen anti-fatigue foam mat. I use spray adhesive to glue it to the shooting surface of the trash can. It gives a flatter backing for when I clamp on the target cardboard.

So after all of this lead I really didn't have any of the mulch nuggets spilling out. Only the ones which 'jump' past the top cover (just a piece of thick rubber mat with a rock on it) then the target gets smacked with a .30 cal round. Using a bucket of water you can float most of the mulch nuggets from the lead, although some does stay at the bottom of the water bucket. But fully re-usable, and I pretty much retained what I started with after about 5 months of shooting it.

IMG_1524.1616897152.JPG

I got the trash cans at a discounted price when I bought a 10- or 12-pack. So if I have to replace my can 2x per year, I've got supply for 5-6 years.😁 I drilled some 1/4" holes in the bottoms of the trash cans for water drainage. I keep it covered when not in use, but sometimes I forget... And it weathers quite well. Something you can just set out in the yard and leave.

I have a couple of 1/4" steel plates behind my trash can trap, but they have never yet been needed. This rubber mulch nugget stuff really stops pellets well. And pretty quietly too.

New one ready to start catching pellets tomorrow:

IMG_1525.1616898502.JPG

IMG_1526.1616898503.JPG

I have read lots of people using this. But the rubber mulch is nearly impossible to find in this area.

I had a heck of a time finding it in my area. Not carried by local Home Depot or Lowes. Amazon wouldn't deliver to my home address. Couldn't order it off the web site of the local ACE hardware chain. Finally called the store and the manager said "we can't get it here, it is a 'restricted' item." WTF? So fortunately some local shooter friends were heading to NV for a match, and I asked them to pick up a couple of bags for me, which they then had to smuggle back across the CA border. And that's the stuff I'm re-using now.

Then a few weeks ago we went to the local Costco for the first time in about a year. Had to physically go to the store to spend my check from the Costco VISA rewards. Lo and behold, they had pallets of rubber mulch nuggets! Didn't specifically need any more at that time, but bought 2 big bags anyway. Easier than having it smuggled in.

I don't know why this stuff is difficult to get in some areas. It is a recycled product, and haven't all of the State governments been harping on us for decades to recycle❓❓❓❕

some rubber mulch floats some doesn't. I have a mulch trap but i do think I like this idea better. I wonder about placing your new trap inside your old one . I've alway liked the idea of floating the mulch to separate lead from rubber. Say how about the dimensions of the bag and the net weight that might make buying the lighter floating mulch easier.

Reactions: TMH
Regarding the 'floating mulch in water' topic, the rubber mulch is definitely not very buoyant. However if you take a 5 gal bucket and fill it 1/2-2/3 full of you 'trap guts', then fill almost to the top with water you can get some good separation. I just got in there up to my elbows and swirled the contents a few times. The lead separates first from the mulch and goes to the bottom. Some of the mulch is 'heavy' and settles fairly quickly on top of the lead. Some of the mulch stays somewhat suspended in the water for a longer period, and you can easily scoop double-handfuls out. Then keep swirling and scooping. The mulch settles, but more slowly than the lead. Doing this I was able to pretty easily get to the point where I had maybe only about 1-2 inches of 'heavy mulch' sitting on top of the lead, which I then physically separated by pouring it into my old (well perforated) trash can trap - the heavy mulch definitely pours out with the water much more than the lead. 

Final separation was more tedious picking bits of heavy mulch out of the lead when the final bucket contents were poured onto a cookie sheet. But I did this more to remove rubber contaminants from the lead than to recover the last very small amount of mulch.

Nice idea on the plastic trash can, maybe gravel or sand might work too inside the plastic trash can

I think that sand would run out of the holes. Not right away, but over time and with more shots. Every time a pellet trap catches a pellet, there is an overall 'shock' to the system, which would help it spill sand.

Gravel would likely work better staying in the trash can and stopping pellets, but would not be as quiet as the rubber mulch nuggets. Would also be more difficult to separate from the lead and while gravel is cheap, it is not like we want to be dumping lead/gravel mixtures onto our properties when we go to replace the trap contents. Also pretty heavy to deal with. I was quite surprised at how heavy my trash can trap had become when I carried it to the front yard yesterday, now that it contained a nice cookie sheet full of lead!

You really don’t need any water to separate the pellets from the mulch. Pour about half the contents from the trash can into a 5 gallon bucket. Shake the bucket up and down real good. Need to shake the bucket hard enough to get the mulch to lift and separate. And just like the unpopped popcorn kernels in a popcorn bowl the pellets will settle at the bottom of the bucket. Scoop out the good mulch on top. No fuss or mess with water. 

TMH, your idea is an excellent one. With air guns, the rubber mulch really stops a pellet...it also works well with .22 LR rimfire. If it can stop, within a few inches, a 40 grain bullet at 1,200 FPS, it will most certainly work with just about any pellet.

I have used the rubber mulch for the past few years, but put it in a cardboard box...I like your idea of the plastic trash can better, for the cardboard does not last near as long as your idea. Thanks for sharing your set up!