• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Performance and first groups with my new Ataman AP 16 (non compact)

My new AP16 arrived today, and I'm VERY impressed. Quality, fit, finish, power and accuracy are all awesome. The trigger needs to get much better, but I can't imagine that's not possible considering all the adjustments. I haven't gotten there yet, because I WANTED TO SHOOT IT... even in the gusty 30 MPH winds! All shooting and testing was done with 18.13 grain JSB pellets.

My tank wasn't full, so I was only able to charge to 230 BAR, rather the 250 BAR maximum. Nevertheless, the 23 shot power band- Low= 626, Hi= 631, ES= 5, SD= 1.5, Average= 628 FPS/ 15.9 Foot Pounds. I expect a full 250 BAR fill to return at least four (7 shot) magazines, so 28+ shots.

My first targets (below) illustrate my iron-sight zeroing at 25 yards (right target), and my only target after zeroing the gun with a 2-7X pistol scope at 30 yards. That the AP16 averaged less than 1" groups with iron sights tells me it shoots better than my iron-sight abilities. The last iron-sight group (4 shots) is in silver.

I wasn't expecting great results with the scope, considering the swirling 30 MPH winds and my unfamiliarity with the admittedly difficult trigger action. However I consider the .68" average for three consecutive five-shot groups an excellent first effort, all things considered.

AP16 targets.1619483100.jpg

I'll attempt trigger adjustments tonight, and hope for reasonable enough wind conditions tomorrow to stretch this baby out to 50 yards. Pretty confident she'll consistently average sub-1" five-shot groups at 50.

You can do some adjusting to make it much better than it is outta the box. See Youtube videos.

And you don't...have to remove the safety ! What some are talking about is the way the safety is made, and what parts move within its grooves. While yes, removing the safety will help...a little, so does just making sure that when it's in the fire direction, that no other parts will be rubbing on it. You'll see this when you remove the side plate.

Also, a little oil helps the whole action from the cocking to the trigger pull to the sear let-off.

The only reason the safety is still out of mine...is I just haven't taken the time to put it back in after my experiments with it in place and out, on the table.

Again, just find the videos on the trigger adjustment, a bit of oil, and it'll be MUCH better.

Mike

Latest AP16 updates.

Still too windy today to shoot several consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards to calculate an average group size (and more closely approximate the gun's potentials). But continuing to be incredibly impressed, nevertheless I couldn't resist mounting a 4-12X rifle scope to shoot several 50 yard groups.

And though I don't usually present BEST groups as indicative of a gun's potentials, I feel todays best two groups strongly suggest that my AP16 will average less than 1" c-t-c five-shot groups at 50 yards in still conditions. 

AP16 50 yards.1619662280.jpg

Today I was able to charge it to 270 BAR on the gun gauge; 295 BAR on my tank and compressor gauges. She returned 30 full-power shots (with 18.13 grain JSBs at 630 FPS).

I also chronographed one (7 shot) magazine each with 15.9 and 14.3 grain JSBs. The 15.9s averaged 664 FPS/15.6 foot-pounds with a 1.4 SD; 14.3s = 688 FPS/15.0 FP with a 3 FPS SD.

This thing ROCKS! Can't wait for still conditions to really, REALLY wring it out at 50 yards.

You're right, Viper; my mistake. That being the case, I look forward to getting at least 5 magazines (35+ shots) per fill; maybe 6 mags. That's impressive for a 16 foot-pound air pistol.

Sounds about right. I'm getting about 23 shots or settling for 3 mags @ 21 ttl before refill (about 270 bar) for my compact model. Very nice 50 yard group in your "Latest AP16 updates". When I get a chance I'll try to reach out that far and see how close my compact and I can compare. Real nice pistol you have there!

Intoxicated on my (then) new Ataman AP16 three weeks ago, my enthusiasm put my mouth (keyboard) in overdrive declaring I'd be posting 1" fifty yard groups soon. Since then, much of the necessary but rare shooting conditions have been devoted to meeting that (stupidly self-imposed) challenge... that has proven more elusive than originally thought! 

Several shooting sessions with 15.9 grain FX branded JSBs and 18-1 grain JSBs have produced ficve-shot groups sizes averaging 1.12" to 1.19" center-to-center at 50 yards. SO close; yet so far away!

Anxious to replace the 4-12X rifle scope being used for such extreme accuracy testing with a more appropriate (for hunting) 2-7X pistol scope, I decided tonights windless conditions would be my last attempt to salvage some iota of self-respect before admitting defeat at my own hands/BOASTS.

The first three groups with 18.1 JSBs produced a worse average group size than normal for the AP, 1.34" c-t-c. Resigned to defeat, nevertheless I had to shoot three more groups with 15.9 grainers. With each group printing obviously less than 1", my hopes of redemption prevailed through all three five-shot groups. And though I usually prefer to take an average of five consecutive five-shot groups, these three consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards convince me THE GUN IS CAPABLE OF AVERAGING SUB-1" GROUPS AT 50.

AP16 sub inch at 50.1620963989.jpg

Gonna switch to a 2-7X pistol scope now. Thank you for your patience.