• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Perfectly expanded JSB kockout slug .177 pics

This is the JSB Knockout in .177, 10.03gr running at 1000fps. I was playing with some paraffin wax mixed with mineral oil to make some sort of poor mans ballistic medium, and the slug was fired into it at point blank. I would say don't do this since its a huge mess. The expansion of the slug is pretty amazing. I also fired a JSB hades and a Crossman Piranha through it. The Hades also did really well, but the Piranha didn't expand very much and went right through. Sorry, no pic of the Hades, I used a torch to melt the wax and it also melted the Hades... woops. 

Pellet1.1644809266.jpg

Pellet2.1644809272.jpg

pellet3.1644809279.jpg

Nice. My problem is that the 10 grain Knockouts are probably running around 750 fps or less from my stock HW97K. I’m still optimistic that they will at least match pellets in expansion but I doubt they will open up like that did. I guess if you only take headshots expansion isn’t super important. Also, the impact from hitting a skull will likely help expansion quite a bit. 

Nice. My problem is that the 10 grain Knockouts are probably running around 750 fps or less from my stock HW97K. I’m still optimistic that they will at least match pellets in expansion but I doubt they will open up like that did. I guess if you only take headshots expansion isn’t super important. Also, the impact from hitting a skull will likely help expansion quite a bit.

Very astute observation. I also shoot at ~750fps and have never found a HP pellet that is accurate enough to justify the loss of accuracy/precision for the hope of expansion.

I seriously doubt that any slugs will be much better at expansion at ~750fps. Even if they have accuracy/precision, they are MUCH more costly.

Accuracy/precision and shot placement is everything for me, but I also factor in costs by necessity for me.

Very astute observation. I also shoot at ~750fps and have never found a HP pellet that is accurate enough to justify the loss of accuracy/precision for the hope of expansion.

I seriously doubt that any slugs will be much better at expansion at ~750fps. Even if they have accuracy/precision, they are MUCH more costly.

Accuracy/precision and shot placement is everything for me, but I also factor in costs by necessity for me.

My interest in .177 slugs is downrange energy. Actually, comparing premium pellets to slugs I have found the cost difference to not be that significant, generally speaking. Accuracy? That one is still TBD for me. I've not yet conclusively decided one way or the other yet.